IGNORED

What audio equipment would you buy if you were single?

esimms86

In a recent post Wgscott mentioned that he would buy dual subwoofers if he wasn't married. It got me to wondering what I would purchase in my current economic situation if it didn't compromise my domestic situation. For me the answer would be Wilson Sasha speakers or a Stax SR009 headphone/Blue Hawaii headphone amp combo. I wonder what choices others would make.

Esau

My budget would be a lot bigger ;) because my partner gets quite a bit to indulge his Blu-Ray / movie collecting, and that money would go right into the "audiophile big rig". We also live in a very small space, so only have room for a single, do-it-all system.

I would love to build a dedicated music system that had no compromises for home theater. Our current system does music + home theater well, but I suspect I could build a really kick-a** music-only system if I had the space and a bit of extra money to do it.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

No way I would or have contended with a partner that does not accept my main interests and priorities.

I expect her to have the same stance. It's called mutual respect.

Thus, my system would be exactly the same !!!

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

No way I would or have contended with a partner that does not accept my main interests and priorities.

I expect her to have the same stance. It's called mutual respect.

Thus, my system would be exactly the same !!!

A great philosophy!

Some compromises maybe but should work well.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Mine would have a lot more DIY equipment. The time for building has dwindled to zero. Time for listening at home is down significantly.

But we did get to go the three live music performances this weekend. The last one, Junior Brown playing cuts from his latest album was a special moment. Never seen him better and he was 20 feet away.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

With me, and I am sure this is true for many others here, it is not a matter of what my spouse would accept or allow. It is a matter of responsible allocation of funds. We live in an expensive area of the US and also have a daughter less than one year away from college ( at $40-65K per year ), as well as saving for the eventual retirements.

To rephrase the question to unlimited income, not marital status, I would buy two of these monoblocks from Line Magnetic. So awesome looking and sound great too. Of course I would remove those wheel. Not sure about the speakers or DAC. And of course cryo-treated, quantum-tunneling cables all around ;-)

LM-212amp.jpg

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

I would set up more than two two-channel systems (HT two-channel is fine by me):

1) Active/powered speaker such as ATC/Genelec, etc

2) Tube based system: Shindo/AirTight, etc

3) SS based system

I would upgrade my vinyl and computer file playback.

Some equipment fascinates me for whatever reason: NC1200 amps, Nagra, ATC, KR Audio and a couple of others. IMO the highest value/$ is in DACs so I would have a dozen on hand. Maybe splurge for one high-end. Be like a kid in a candy shop with too many choices.

chris

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

In a recent post Wgscott mentioned that he would buy dual subwoofers if he wasn't married. It got me to wondering what I would purchase in my current economic situation if it didn't compromise my domestic situation. For me the answer would be Wilson Sasha speakers or a Stax SR009 headphone/Blue Hawaii headphone amp combo. I wonder what choices others would make.

Esau

Hi Esau,

I'd probably have a considerably lesser system. It has been my wife, consistently over the years, who has encouraged me to upgrade whenever she suspected I had the slightest interest in a piece of gear. For example, when I had Magnepan 1.5s and took a look at a pair of (then) 3.6s (and subsequently 3.7s) it was she who said "Who should have them if not you?"

I am more than fortunate.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio

Snip, snip...

To rephrase the question to unlimited income, not marital status, I would buy two of these monoblocks from Line Magnetic. So awesome looking and sound great too. Of course I would remove those wheel. Snip, snip...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14497[/ATTACH]

Yeah, those are killer aren't they? And talk about a conversation piece!

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Yeah, those are killer aren't they? And talk about a conversation piece!

They certainly would be killer if they fell over on top of you... And imagine the conversations the CSi guys would have! :-)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

They certainly would be killer if they fell over on top of you... And imagine the conversations the CSi guys would have! :-)

(in re Dr. Frankenstein's mono-blocks)

The building code in California should require earthquake straps for such like !!

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

With me, and I am sure this is true for many others here, it is not a matter of what my spouse would accept or allow. It is a matter of responsible allocation of funds. We live in an expensive area of the US and also have a daughter less than one year away from college ( at $40-65K per year ), as well as saving for the eventual retirements.

Indeed! Those are common constraints, yet I've never lacked fine sound despite not springing for the absolute top end. Even when I was rolling my own, it was a modded Dyna duo or a Citation II. And the used market brought me a lot of great stuff I later resold at something between a little loss and a little profit. My wife's never complained about anything audio except the physical size of the Infinity Reference Standard IIs I snuck into our 10x18'x8' library one day while she was out - I got a great deal on them because they were returned by the original buyer when his wife said they were too big & he couldn't keep them. They lasted in my house about 2 years, as I recall - and they were fantastic!!

After decades of such asceticism (2 through private pK-12 before ivy league BAs and grad degrees), my wife and I have reached that eventuality. We've just started "prepping" the house for sale in the spring, as we're told that most buyers don't like what most sellers have done with their houses so we should go for simple and mechanically perfect. We already have a 2 BR condo into which we'll be moving, and there's just enough room for my current system and 5' 2" grand piano in the living room. I suspect I'll be back to better 'phones, though - if I have to worry about neighbors, my AKG Quincy Joneses (although pretty good) may not be keeping up with me when they become my principal transducers.

And that's coming full circle - my wife bought me a pair of Stax SRX6s for my 30th birthday so I could listen well in our apartment.

I echo the notion that it's not exactly if I was single vs (in my case) the if I wasn't going have a kid soon and buy a house. But, if I was single then I wouldn't be doing either of those things so... I'll go with Vandersteen 7s.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open