IGNORED

Anyone listen while standing up?

wgscott

I do, Monday through Friday, around 8 hours or more per day. I have a stand-up desk at work and use a Focal XS 2.1 system with the sub sitting on the floor by my desk.

I have been using a stand-up desk for almost 14 years now. The stand-up desk is a necessity for me as I have a bulging disc in my lower back and the stand-up desk almost completely alleviates the pain. If not for the stand-up desk I would have had to have surgery many years ago. Plus, you have all the other health benefits from not sitting all day.

Go for it!

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Be seated most of the day doesn't bring you spine, neck and back problems only, but circulatory problems, than could be worst to those on the spine over the years. Even to people that exercise one hour per day.

I have serious circulatory problems thanks to my DNA then I read a lot about, from reliable studies, like universities research.

Roch

PS/ You burn also more energy (calories) standing up that seated, even I you don't move.

I agree. I don't have back problems, but I definitely should burn more calories.

I'm finding it a bit hard on the legs, but overall an improvement. (Everything that I do now hurts at first, even trying a new pair of shoes, so this isn't a worry.).

Love that great line by Leonard Cohen "...I ache in the places where I used to play..."

I'm not saying that sitting all day is good for you, but many of the problems in that infographic are due to poor posture when sitting - and forcing yourself to "sit up straight" is not necessarily a good thing either. A lot of the new research has shown benefits to reclining in chairs rather than sitting up straight - that's why most new office chair designs encourage it.

More recent studies have also started to show that standing all day can be just as bad for you as sitting all day due to this trend of people switching to standing desks, and sitting on an inflatable ball or doing things which intentionally keep you off-balance is not really helpful.

What's more important than one or the other is moderation. Don't force yourself into one position all day regardless of what it is. Sit-stand desks are better than standing desks.

If you're going to be standing all day, you should have flat shoes with a thin sole, and should think about getting an anti-fatigue mat. (nothing more than about 3/4" thick)

P.S. You have geotagging enabled on your iPad Mini, so you might want to remove that image unless you want to give away your address.

More recent studies have also started to show that standing all day can be just as bad for you as sitting all day due to this trend of people switching to standing desks, and sitting on an inflatable ball or doing things which intentionally keep you off-balance is not really helpful.

My stand-up desk goes up and down. I do break up my standing with shorter sitting sessions throughout the day.

Based upon what I have read, I think some of your comments above go too far. First, I don't think anyone proposes literally standing up all day. Rather, moderation or more standing vs. sitting is what most do. Second, I have not read any study that supports your assertion that standing all day can be just as bad as sitting all day. From what I have read, the negative results of too much sitting are definitely more hazardous than the negative consequences of too much standing.

If you have some links to share, I would be interested to read studies showing too much standing and too much sitting to be equally hazardous.

Right now, I believe the optimal scenario is spending the majority of the day standing (I am not advocating standing all day).

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I am thinking of getting a portable standing desk for the primary listening position, because of all the potential problems associated with sitting on one's arse. I'm testing this out with a wobbly music stand and laptop at the moment. This would take some getting used to, but I have a lot of problems sitting still to begin with...

If in a new listening environment, I always move around standing up to find a sweet spot. At home I use DRC and place the measurement mike exactly where my head is for normal listening to get the room calibrations.

My work involves travel, plus it is veery unprofessional to play music at satisfactory listening levels in the office environment. I may more one of the office systems to work, but it will only see <80 dB playback.

I have a Martin Logan, Quad, several Blue Sky, couple JVC Woodcone Executive, and Yamaha system in the attic. Just zero time to listen. I doubt the KRK Expose 8 and BS Sat 8 and sub 212 need to be in my thin walled office.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Prolonged standing in one place can't be that good for you. It makes soldiers on parade grounds faint and hairdressers invariably end up with bad varicose veins.

Walking, on the other hand seems to be universally acclaimed.

I've recently acquired an 11 inch Macbook Air on which I run Windows 7 using Bootcamp. The Macbook is an excellent server and Windows allows you to run it with the lid closed, so combined with a Dragonfly, a decent set of headphones and a backpack, it makes for a great audio/hiking experience.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

and sitting on an inflatable ball or doing things which intentionally keep you off-balance is not really helpful.

B01.png

No, you're right.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Otherwise, I never sit during listening. When on the phone, yes.

But I don't like sweetspot listening to begin with and further more I'm always hopping around in the (adjacent to the listening room) kitchen for one thing or the other. No standing table as well.

Of course I manage to take 2-3 hours to frie a couple of eggs, so that helps.

But I am serious. Lots of talk (and cooking + drinking) going on in the kitchen and speakers are just in front of me a ~10-12 meters distance (over 6 meters apart).

Besides this (but it has been said I think) nothing is better for move on the groove when standing. Or better : walking anyway.

PS: Shouldn't someone report that post above ?

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

I have peripatetic tendencies when listening to music, sometimes fluidly shifting to 'dancing', but I don't think I could literally stand still in front of my speakers... although with certain types of music I sometimes sit cross-legged on the ground as if I was meditating.

+1

I agree this is the best position seated, but you need some Yoga training to be "confortable".

Can I suggest tis position to Peter St. when listening to DSD...?

Roch