IGNORED

DFF to DSF conversion

PhVL

• 3 weeks later...

Ted,

Now AuI ConverteR 48x44 (v.3.8.8 and above) able connect dff2dsf utility as input decoder.

DFF -> dff2dsf -> intermediate DSF -> AuI (with or without sample rate conversion) -> DSF/PCM

If sample rate intermediate DSF is equal output sample rate then output DSF's audio data bit-to-bit as intermediate DSF's audio data.

Using dsf2dff via AuI get graphical user interface and 1-bit sample rate conversion.

How connect dff2dsf read here Conversion DFF to DSF. 3 ways for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux

Best regards,

Yuri

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

• 2 months later...
Can anybody clarify which, if any, PC based tools can convert to DSF without pops? It seems that some are not having the issue, or is it that maybe some aren't concerned because they don't have many gapless SACDs?

I learned audio content some ISO and found interesting thing:

1. First file has zero DC bias in begin.

2. After 1-2 second it smooth increase to level about -60...-70 dB in one of channel.

3. For all tracks of album the bias has same level.

4. For last track bias smoothly move to zero at end of file.

Thus for same ISOs is not enought convert iso -> dff -> dsf (in order not to lose ISO track's last DSD block audio data, what supposed as reason of click) for removing clicks at begin and end of file.

I created already algorithm of suppressing the clicks at beging and end of file. Now I have in mind more advanced algorithm for DC bias suppressing.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Here illustration to my previous post. It's begin of first file.

Traditional DSD decoder can't solve the trouble due the decoder is low frequency filter.

For first file no enough simply remove DC. If we do it, we get click at begin of the file.

For fixing trouble of unwanted DC simultaneously with click at begin of file need special processing.

Now AuI suppress clicks without removing offsets and I research for creating more perfect algorithm.

dc-bias.png

kramnotwen,

Thank you for kind words. I plan (while is not exactly) give for demo ability batch converting for source ISO 1-bit audio. In miidle of song will iserted 2s silence (like work demo with DSF/DFF). It allow learn and check the ISO converting in details.

While I think how do it. May be will released other variant.

Best regards,

Yuri

• 1 month later...

Hi Kramnotwen, thank you. You too! :)

In brief:

1. Added DSF meta tags editor (text and all posiible pictures), file renamer with group editing.

2. All filters for DSF's sample rates replaced to 3G (third generation).

3G filters has better aliases suppression, more gentle.

3. FLAC 32 bit supported.

4. Free DEMO now do batch convertion ISO (with silence 2 sec in middle of track)

Now I learns wish list and work under replacement 2G to 3G filters for 44 kHz.

Best regards,

Yuri

• 2 weeks later...
Cheers Yuri!

I have sampled the latest software and after converting an ISO to DSF thought I was still faintly hearing occasional clicks at the start of some tracks. Is this placebo on my part or are you still working on a total solution for this aspect?

I look forward to hearing from you and again thank you for your ongoing development and effort. It is greatly appreciated.

All the best,

kramnotwen

Hi Kramnotwen,

Today I got worked beta (while is not distributed anywhere) with new "right" gapless algorithm.

It allow create seamless transient between albums tracks. But here impossible parallel peocessing of some tracks. Need consequentially file conversion in album order.

If present DC and you playback file separately - possible some click anyway. For playback of album must be no clicks between tracks.

New feature planned for PROduce-RD edition. Now I think how demonstrate it in FREE edition.

If don't uppear unknown for me now troubles, I publish new algorithm in nearest days.

Best regards,

Yuri

• 2 weeks later...
When tagging a dsf file, is there a file size limit? At least I have the impression...

I am using Mp3tag. I am not able to assign tags to the song "04 - Allman Brothers Band - Mountain Jam" (Album: Allman Brothers - Eat a Peach). I think that´s one of the longest track I have: Playtime: ca. 33 Min. Filesize is 1.33GB

DSF file has 64 bit size descriptors. It allow have file size more 2 GB (usual WAV limit).

id3 tag placed at end of DSF file.

If meta tag editor properly operate with unsigned 64 bit values - no problem for size file up to 2^64 bytes.

Thanks Yuri.

Please let me know once it is available to test again.

All the best,

kramnotwen

Hi Kramnotwen,

At last I released ISO -> DFF -> DSF/WAV/AIFF/FLAC/... conversion without bursts in solid audio streams.

Now all stages of ISO conversion is seamless.

For non-resampled DSF in Settings window /General tab need turn ON «Don’t make DSP…» switch.

In this case DSF will binary identical to audio stream from ISO.

For gapless (clickless) conversion need (Main window / Parameters tab) turn ON True Gapless Mode switch and turn OFF «Don’t make DSP…» switch.

Metadata saved to output ISO via CUE-file extracted form ISO.

Here I described extraction process with many illustrations How Convert ISO to DSF, WAV, etc. without Clicks (Mac OS X and Windows)

Best regards,

Yuri

• 2 months later...

Hi Stephanie,

Here how uncompress DST DFF. While under Windows only.

Best regards,

Yuri

• 5 weeks later...
Hi David,

Regarding Trax, does it do gapless conversion of ISO to DFF and/or DSF? So far I haven't been able to convert one ISO file into a DSF without a 3 sec. gap.. a "click" would be a great improvement!

As I understand, 3 sec. gap it is DEMO’s muting in middle of song?

Here need discriminate:

1. Clickless converting of ISO.

Source ISO’s tracks extracted without gaps. It’s bug of sacd_extract (lost last block of audio data). Solved via intermediate DFF conversion and additional metadata transfer.

It work for AuI ConverteR Audiophile-E and above.

2. True Gapless Conversion

After resampling borders of neighbor converted tracks remains seamless like borders of source tracks.

It does matter for uninterrupted audio streams (live concerts, operas, …).

It work in AuI ConverteR PROduce-RD only.

Both applied for ISO/DSF/DFF/PCM to DSF/PCM.

gapless-iso-conversion.png

Hi Bas,

Audio player software (foobar or other) play this ISO without 3 second pause between tracks?

Best regards,

Yuri

JRiver does, AK100 doesn't, I'm really puzzled. AK100 has latest firmware and should play DSD gapless, when turned on.

Bas

Are you:

1. Convert ISO to DSDs,

2. JRiver playback these DSDs without gaps between tracks,

3. AK100 playback these DSDs with gaps between tracks?

It's right?

Best regards,

Yuri

Hi Yuri,

Yes that's right. I'm getting a bit frustrated after days of trial and error!

Bas

If software player able playback without gaps, need search difference between DSFs correctly playback (from ISO #1) and gap playback (from ISO #2):

1. Size

2. Sample rate, channel number

3. Metadata (song name, album name, ...) present/absent/content. May be artwork loading is "narrow place" in hardware player.

4. These files placed at single SD-card or in different cards.

5. ...

If convert "gap" ISO to WAV/AIFF/FLAC will gaps or not?

Bas, are you tried ask A&K technical support? May be they have some ideas?

Are you update last version of A&K's firmware?

• 1 month later...

It's my AuI ConverteR 48x44. I specially ask you for avoiding misunderstanding and further problems.

Audiophil-E edition ($109.7 without EU VAT) and PROduce-R ($147.8 without EU VAT) allow convert ISO/DSF/DFF to PCM (WAV, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, mp3,...).

PROduce-RD edition ($249.8 without EU VAT) allow convert ISO/DSF/DFF to PCM and DSF.

I tried to warn for avoiding disappointment in Audiophil-E (that about $100, as you wrote above) for to DSF conversion :)

Supporting of fast technical supporting (sorry for pun) and permanent researching for improving sound and functionality don't allow me do it.

But all may be in future :)

Anyway thank you for feedback.

• 1 year later...
44 minutes ago, gixxer said:

Hello,

Been searching this for a while.

Looks like without the original ISO, there is no means to convert compressed DFF file to DSF (to add to Roon)?

The foobar2000 plays these DST compressed DFF files just fine.

But not finding way to decompress.

DFF2DSF v1.2.2
Copyright (C) 2014 Jussi Laako / Signalyst. All rights reserved.
error: input file is compressed

To decompress DFF from DST before the dff2dsf utility need additional command line decoder DstDecoder.exe.

However it work very slow.

• 5 months later...
Just now, front242 said:

Hi

Is it now safe to convert from iso directly to dsf without dff intermediate step?
From version 3.8 changelog: sacd_extract does not truncate sample data when exporting to DSF

Yes. You can. But need check series of the ISO, that it is really work correctly with sacd_extract 0.3.8.

Though it don't guarantee no clicks at track borders. Because last block loss is not single click reason.

Just now, front242 said:

So is it still better to convert first to dff and then to dsf?

In my software I do it. Because many years it work correctly. But later I will learn way to rid intermediate DFF to save time of the conversion.

From my experience, ISO extraction have many hidden "surprises". So I don't sure that DFF-extraction-passing work for any ISO correctly.

I plan to do the passing optionally and non-default rather.