IGNORED

Ryan Adams New Self Titled Album - DR of High Resolution Download

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could share the DR of this high res release with me please.

I have the CD version of the album and the compression is terrible as evidenced by the DR database - Album list - Dynamic Range Database. I really like the album but do not want to drop $17 on something that may be no better than the CD.

Any help greatly appreciated.

With many thanks,

kramnotwen

I compared both yesterday... it's sad... same DR value (I think, average was 7 for both CD and 24/96 from HDTracks). If my memory serves me well (it was very late yesterday evening) the lowest DR value was 5 or even 4.

I bought the vinyl, which comes with mp3 download ripped from vinyl.

Here is what the DR Database says, much better than the other downloads including HD Tracks. Winder why they wouldn't do a lossless vinyl rip vs. MP3?

mp3 download that comes with the vinyl:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed folder: Ryan Adams - Ryan Adams (2014)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Filename

DR13 -0.69 dB -15.38 dB 1. Gimme Something Good.mp3

DR13 -1.20 dB -17.23 dB 2. Kim.mp3

DR12 -1.40 dB -15.35 dB 3. Trouble.mp3

DR14 -0.78 dB -15.91 dB 4. Am I Safe.mp3

DR14 -8.35 dB -25.38 dB 5. My Wrecking Ball.mp3

DR13 -1.50 dB -15.64 dB 6. Stay With Me.mp3

DR13 -1.43 dB -16.10 dB 7. Shadows.mp3

DR13 -0.82 dB -16.12 dB 8. Feels Like Fire.mp3

DR12 -2.42 dB -18.86 dB 9. I Just Might.mp3

DR14 -2.46 dB -18.42 dB 10. Tired Of Giving Up.mp3

DR14 -4.38 dB -20.83 dB 11. Let Go.mp3

Number of files: 11

Official DR value: DR13

==============================================================================================

This is Ryan's own record label, and I thought he was a fanatic about sound quality. I love seeing him live very good sound.

I compared both yesterday... it's sad... same DR value (I think, average was 7 for both CD and 24/96 from HDTracks). If my memory serves me well (it was very late yesterday evening) the lowest DR value was 5 or even 4.

Many thanks Urs. I find this very frustrating, but recognise there are much bigger issues in the world!

I bought the vinyl, which comes with mp3 download ripped from vinyl.

Here is what the DR Database says, much better than the other downloads including HD Tracks. Winder why they wouldn't do a lossless vinyl rip vs. MP3?

mp3 download that comes with the vinyl:

Analyzed folder: Ryan Adams - Ryan Adams (2014)

DR Peak RMS Filename

DR13 -0.69 dB -15.38 dB 1. Gimme Something Good.mp3

DR13 -1.20 dB -17.23 dB 2. Kim.mp3

DR12 -1.40 dB -15.35 dB 3. Trouble.mp3

DR14 -0.78 dB -15.91 dB 4. Am I Safe.mp3

DR14 -8.35 dB -25.38 dB 5. My Wrecking Ball.mp3

DR13 -1.50 dB -15.64 dB 6. Stay With Me.mp3

DR13 -1.43 dB -16.10 dB 7. Shadows.mp3

DR13 -0.82 dB -16.12 dB 8. Feels Like Fire.mp3

DR12 -2.42 dB -18.86 dB 9. I Just Might.mp3

DR14 -2.46 dB -18.42 dB 10. Tired Of Giving Up.mp3

DR14 -4.38 dB -20.83 dB 11. Let Go.mp3

Number of files: 11

Official DR value: DR13

==============================================================================================

This is Ryan's own record label, and I thought he was a fanatic about sound quality. I love seeing him live very good sound.

Thanks hanover33. I had seen that on the DR Database but having no vinyl playback capabilities meant the LP and the included MP3 download were not options for me.

Another opportunity lost. Never mind.

well you could buy the vinyl for just the download - since its about the same as teh HD Tracks cost ($17 or so). I'm crazy so I bought both to check out the differences, still listening - the HD tracks is much more compressed but also still sounds good. I might be crazy enough to buy the 'mastered for itunes' version and compare all three against the vinyl, but I think that would end up driving me to the nut house.

Playing the files via a Mac Mini with my Superdad powered UpTone Audio linear PSU which is sounding great : - )

well you could buy the vinyl for just the download - since its about the same as teh HD Tracks cost ($17 or so). I'm crazy so I bought both to check out the differences, still listening - the HD tracks is much more compressed but also still sounds good. I might be crazy enough to buy the 'mastered for itunes' version and compare all three against the vinyl, but I think that would end up driving me to the nut house.

Playing the files via a Mac Mini with my Superdad powered UpTone Audio linear PSU which is sounding great : - )

I hear you hanover33! I have been burned too many times so think I will just enjoy the CD on this occasion.

It is so disappointing that this level of compression is occuring on so many releases when it isn't necessary... I appreciate and respect artistic choice and all, but...

Cheers!

kramnotwen