IGNORED

best USB cable I have used so far

The Ridge Street Audio USB cables are the best i have heard. I use to use the Poeima, now I use the Enopias. Hands down, IMHO, they are much better than Kimber, or others.

Liz

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.

Can these USB cables 'really' make a difference? I moved away from the audiophile world of thousands of $/£ cables to the world of pro audio and computer audio where really expensive cables is less common.

What does a Russ Andrews or Ridge Street cable do differently to a standard and cheap USB cable?

Location: Manchester\'ish - UK. System: iMac, YellowTec PUC2 Lite, Genelec 7270A sub, 2 x 8240A monitors, a Drobo and Vovox cables.

I have to say I am not too impressed with the new silver Kimber. I had the copper Kimber since setting up my computer audio rig and considering the improvement in sound the copper Kimber has over a "regular" USB, I had high expectation for the silver Kimber (plus my first "nice" IC's ever were the Kimber Silver Streak which I thought were super cool).

Yet, I would say the improvement is marginal at best over the copper USB. Though I do want to stress again the improvement the $50 Kimber USB had on my system over a cheapo USB. Big step. Silver Kimber, tiny step over the copper.

I am looking forward to hearing what others think about the new Kimber...

John

[Outlet > Crystal Cable Reference Power Cords > Audio Magic Mini Stealth >] MacBook \"White\" (Sitting on Symposium Svelte Shelf and 3 Decouplers) > iTunes/Apple Lossless/iTouch Remote > Kimber Cable USB > Bel Canto 24/96 USB Converter > Cary 306 Pro SACD/CD/DAC > Crystal Cable Reference Connect IC >Pass Labs X1 > Crystal Cable Reference Connect IC > Bryston 28B SST Mono Blocks > Transparent MM Ultra Speaker Cables > Verity Audio Parsifal Ovations> My Ears.....ahhhhhhh

I wonder how the usb cable can affect the sound quality as far as the data sent are digital. I mean 1.3 is still 1 and 0.2 is still 0. Maybe in the case of a solar storm could it be worse. So, let explain it to me.

Macbook 13.1\" - MAudio Firewire Audiophile - Profigold wire - NAD C 320 BEE - Triangle Comete 202 - Apple Nano 2nd Generation with Rockbox - Songbird - Spotify

John, that is interesting re the Kimber copper vs silver.

I just tried a copper/silver Kimber and loved it over the throw-away USB.

But I returned it in anticipation of the new all silver USB cable now being available. Hmmm.

Wireworld have a new silver USB out soon.

What's a man to do!

Naim 282/250/hi-cap/cd5xs/dac/stageline, mac book pro/fidelia/amarra hifi/halide bridge, rega p3/24, focal utopia scala

What about no cable? Just an A male to B male adapter.

Might be possible to try on a smaller more portable usb DAC.

If this is doable it could tell you what the cable is actually doing to the music.

I like that idea a lot. Does anyone know of a high quality adapter like that? It would bring the DAC closer to the computer which might (or might not) cause an interference problem. I did the same thing with a pair of RCA couplers with good results.

Can someone direct me to evidence that a different type or the quality of a USB cable can improve audio reproduction? I respect the views on this forum and indeed one of the main reasons I joined was that it had a good balance of contributions and has a goal of improving computer audio.

I confess I bought a cryogenically treated USB cable (I don't want to name the company) and I could not tell any difference between a stock USB and one costing considerably more, when feeding my Benchmark DAC1. I also could not tell of any difference when I ran either cables through a USB hub.

Location: Manchester\'ish - UK. System: iMac, YellowTec PUC2 Lite, Genelec 7270A sub, 2 x 8240A monitors, a Drobo and Vovox cables.

Hi Monty - It's been discussed here numerous time and I'll try to find the threads and link to them. I do know different USB cables measure differently.

Also, I'll ask you a similar question.

Can You direct me to evidence that a different type or the quality of a USB cable can't improve audio reproduction?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Chris,

Please post the links - I'm all for learning!

You can ask me your question and as the original poster my evidence is what I hear (but I'll also have a look around for any papers that may or may not support my beliefs). I'm sure there are people on here much better informed than I on these matters.

My experience that I bought a Revelation Audio Lab USB cable for $350+

http://www.revelationaudiolabs.com/cables-digital/index.htm

and I did not notice any difference when running either a stock USB cable from my Mac Mini to a USB DAC1. I think that as long as the usb cable is within specs, it should make no difference in sound quality over short distances. Just my observations and comments.

Does USB cable 'quality' have an effect on sound?

While I admire those in the flat earth society (TKYR1967!), is it possible these same folks have cloth ears, too?? Probably not but more likely it's the gear being used as I can't think of any other reason(s) for not hearing the marked difference in a 'generic' cable vis-a-vis a 'hot rodded' USB cable....

To me the difference is night and day.

PS, in jest of course re the flat earth/cloth ears dig!

Naim 282/250/hi-cap/cd5xs/dac/stageline, mac book pro/fidelia/amarra hifi/halide bridge, rega p3/24, focal utopia scala

• 1 month later...

This is for people who are skeptical or feel USB cables does not make any difference. For starters...transfer of data in large amounts and very importantly, time sensitive data( 44,0000 samples per second...for a CD)will make a huge difference on type of USB cables. Yes for the async DACS too.

I have the Kimber $75 cables and the Ridge street Alethias USB $500 or so. And I hear a clear significant difference. My DAC is theVekian Stah-tek. with async USB If you hear no difference then it could be the quality of USB cable that you are comparing against. Addtiionally, the better the DAC the larger the difference.

i did a A/B test with CDs using DCS pucinni versus mini mac, Alethias and Vekian DAC. Hands down the Vekian configuration had much better analog sound. Larger sound stage, depth, warmer, less digital and slightly better resolution.

Music after life

Ridge street Audio USB cables are the very best. I use to use the Poiema!!! and now I use the top of the line Enopias. Many people in my Audiophile club tell my sound is like Analog!

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.