IGNORED

Apple Pay

Is there a thread on this yet?

I won't be able to use Apple Pay because I don't plan on upgrading to the 6 (until Apple renders my 5S unusable, which I expect will be, if not the next software update, the one after that*.) And I'm not going to buy a watch just to use the pay feature.

But the idea of the "always on the home screen" pay options, I think is great. For example, I have the mobile quicken app on my phone. But when I'm on line with people behind me, I don't want to take the phone out, put in the passcode, open the app, put in the app's passcode, and then enter the payment information. With Apple's Passbook features, if I go into Starbucks, the app is waiting on my home screen. (Yes, I know, they're different types of apps.) I think the Pay feature will be great if I don't have to open the phone and an app to use it.

Does anyone know whether Apple intends to have a "Pay" app for Android and other phones? Will the in-store readers be exclusive to Apple Pay, or will they read any phones NFC (or whatever the term is)?

* -- Anyone else expect that in a month or so they'll connect with iPod Classic to iTunes and Apple will secretly fuck up the software to kill the unit?

If you don't use Apple Pay, Apple will not only corrupt your iPod classic, it will post all of your nude selfies to CA. For the sake of the children, please pay the pay ransom!

I don't want to see your naked selfies Bill... Pay ... Pay ... PAY!!!!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Anyone else expect that in a month or so they'll connect with iPod Classic to iTunes and Apple will secretly fuck up the software to kill the unit?

Not sure this will come to pass, but amidst all the hoopla, I'm very, very sad about the demise of the iPod Classic.

I think you've got at least another several years on your 5S.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Not sure this will come to pass, but amidst all the hoopla, I'm very, very sad about the demise of the iPod Classic.

I'm imagining an Apple meeting...

Jonny Ives to Tim Cook: and what are we doing about the iPod Classic?

TC: What! We still sell an iPod without touch display?

I think you've got at least another several years on your 5S.

iOS Support Matrix is a useful resource...

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I'm still using a 3GS so the 5 should be safe for a bit. I'm seriously considering replacing my iPhone with a dumb phone - Maybe I can find a nice hack to put a mechanical switch to turn off the camera and mic except when I want them on...

You know, I've never done a selfie with a phone... or any thing for that matter.

No apple pay for me thanks. Apple is deep enough into my pockets with out adding that. What wrong with cash? I remember when cash was actually accepted in some places.... Okay, I exaggerate - the only places I know of that won't take cash are government offices - seriously.

Crips I'm starting to sound like a luddite!

I'm still using a 3GS so the 5 should be safe for a bit. I'm seriously considering replacing my iPhone with a dumb phone - Maybe I can find a nice hack to put a mechanical switch to turn off the camera and mic except when I want them on...

The camera is easy ... black sticky tape or a case which covers it.

Eloise

---

Hah, yeah, I actually used my phone, which I almost never do, and I didn't do my usual workflow which would have stripped that out. But that's a good example of why I find the "convenience" of these things so.... disturbing. If you don't think about it you can give away a lot of information you might not want to give.

There's a real conflict of personal interests going on. For example many folks publish descriptions of their systems, some of which are very expensive. If you publish your name and address (which if I were at home when I took that picture, I would have) then you've just told someone where to go to pick up some high end audio gear, and if there's high end audio gear, there's probably other stuff.