IGNORED

Only 3% of US Population can afford High End Audio

NOMBEDES

Who here has a $150K audio system? Someone must.

I don't know how to set up a poll on this site, but would be interested to see what memebers have spent on their primary audio system. Maybe someone could create this poll, or explain how to do it.

It's easy to post a poll. Go to a forum's main page. Click on the "Post New Thread" button. On the resultant page, give the thread a title and write your introductory message. Then check the "Post a Poll" checkbox and indicate the number of choices you want to have in the poll. Click "Submit New Thread," define the poll choices and any other options, and you're good to go.

Experience suggests that it's a good idea to put some thought into your poll choices beforehand. I think your idea for a poll is a good one, but personally, I think this poll should be anonymous.

Important: I'm pretty sure you need to be looking at the "full site" in order to do this, so if you're using, say, the Default Mobile Style on an iOS device, you won't see all the options I've mentioned. It's probably easiest to do this from a "real" computer.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I don't get your point.

Many people "who can't afford high end audio" always have the latest iPhone. It's a question of priorities. You don't need to be rich to own a very good audio system.

+1

Not only do you not need to be rich, but many of the rich don't own high-end stereos because they aren't audiophiles or even music lovers. They own them for bragging rights and conspicuous consumption.

A few years ago, a buddy of mine (not an audiophile) invited me to go with him up to a mansion owned by a Silicon Valley multi-millionaire. My friend's wife owned a high-end interior decorating business and my friend helped her out sometime. She needed for him to deliver some bric-a-brac to this client's house, and he needed some help and wanted some company on the delivery. He got me to go along by describing (as well as he could) the millionaire's stereo, said the fellow was a nice guy and would gladly demonstrate it if we asked, so I tagged along.

When we got to these people's newly built, and incredibly ostentatious mansion (with the requisite Porsche and big Mercedes sedan in the drive) I was introduced to the guy (my friend had met him before and told him that I was an avid audiophile as part of the introductions that day). The guy beamed and asked us to his "music room". In that room was a huge Boesendorfer concert grand piano that was equipped with one of those CD-ROM controlled "player piano" mechanisms, and a very high-end stereo system with Wilson Audio Sophia speakers, an SME turntable and arm, and Pass electronics with an MSB disc player and DAC IV. Nice setup. However, I quickly noticed that this guy: 1) had three LPs, and about 6 CDs total! 2) knew nothing about the system ("I paid a consultant to put it together for me"), 3) didn't even like music, particularly, and 4) and admitted that even if he were interested in audio or music, he didn't have the time to listen to it! I asked him why he bought it, and his answer was that his wife liked the idea of having a "music room" in their new house, and since he could afford the very best, that's what they got. This is apparently the market that many of these uber-high-end manufacturers and dealers are chasing.

One local ex audio dealer who I knew told me once when I ran into him at a symphony concert that he closed his shop and went into the A/V consulting business. He said instead of keeping store hours and putting-up with audiophiles hanging around all day talking about audio and listening (for free) to the latest and greatest without ever seeming to buy anything, he could install really high-end complete systems in the homes of the tech-rich, and about three a month could keep him in clover! Can't blame him really.

George

Don't forget that the popularity of headphone listening and file playback has reduced the cost of high quality audio dramatically. In addition to a computer (which most people already own), you need a DAC/headphone amp and a headphone. Depending on the definition of high end, with a budget of $2000, the sound quality will be close to it.

For a speaker-based system or vinyl playback, the cost is of course much higher.

If high end means spending $150k, then it's indeed something for the happy few. I would never spend as much, even if I could. I'm sure most billionaires don't have a $150k audio system.

Claude

Who here has a $150K audio system? Someone must.

I don't know how to set up a poll on this site, but would be interested to see what memebers have spent on their primary audio system. Maybe someone could create this poll, or explain how to do it.

Your total investment would include your:

• digital music server/dedicated music computer/music library storage device(s)

• turntable/cartridge/phono preamp (if applicable)

• SACD/DVD-Audio/CD player

• DAC

• amplification

• speaker system--headphones, too, if you use them at home for critical listening

• audio cables (USB, digital, optical, interconnects, speaker, etc.)

• power conditioning/distribution/power cables

• acoustic room treatments and/or specialty isolation mounts for your components

• audio software and remote control apps

Do not include what you have spent on music.

geant.gif

I don't get your point.

Many people "who can't afford high end audio" always have the latest iPhone. It's a question of priorities. You don't need to be rich to own a very good audio system.

Man there is a big difference between the cost of an iphone and a $20k pair of speakers or even a $1500 dac

The Truth Is Out There

Man there is a big difference between the cost of an iphone and a $20k pair of speakers or even a $1500 dac

What I was saying ia that if you can afford to buy a new high end smartphone every year, you can also afford a high quality audio system, which is good for many years.

If this discussion is only about $150k systems, my point is that nobody needs that. If only the top 3% can afford it, it's like saying only the top 3% can afford to live in a castle or buy the most expensive Ferrari.

Claude

If this discussion is only about $150k systems, my point is that nobody needs that. If only the top 3% can afford it, it's like saying only the top 3% can afford to live in a castle or buy the most expensive Ferrari.

You shouldn't test neither of them because you will discover the need.

Not only do you not need to be rich, but many of the rich don't own high-end stereos because they aren't audiophiles or even music lovers. They own them for bragging rights and conspicuous consumption.

My wife is a pianist, and once I took her to the Steinway-dealer in the place I lived. I asked the salesperson if it was OK for my (then still) girlfriend to play some of the pianos, although we were not potential customers. "Sure, go ahead", he said. So, while my wife played several of them, I talked to the guy for a bit. We were standing close to a EUR 125,000 Concert Grand, and I asked if he sold many of those. "You would be surprised", he said. But he explained that most were bought by rich people to serve as furniture without being played.

He also told me that he, the week before, sold one to a guy that "wanted the best (read:L most expensive) piano for his wife who had lessons for 2 months", and he closed the deal within an hour!

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

Sept 4 (Reuters) - The gap between the richest Americans and the rest of the nation widened after the Great Recession, a survey by the Federal Reserve showed on Thursday, suggesting deepening U.S. income inequality.

Though incomes of the highest-earners rose, none of the groups analyzed by the Fed had regained their 2007 income levels by 2013, underscoring deep scars from the financial crisis and its aftermath.

The data comes from a massive survey of consumer finances conducted by the Fed Board of Governors every three years. Many other studies have also shown the lasting effects of the recession and documented rising income disparity in the United States.

The Fed survey released suggests that wealth and income is concentrated not just within the top 1 percent, as some analyzes have suggested, but actually among a slighly broader slice of the ultra-rich: the top 3 percent.

From 2010 to 2013, average income for U.S. families rose about 4 percent after accounting for inflation, the survey showed. All of the income growth was concentrated among the top earners, the survey showed, with the top 3 percent accounting for 30.5 percent of all income.

The disparity was even greater by wealth, with the top 3-percent holding 54.4 percent of all net worth in 2013, up from 51.8 percent in 2007 and 44.8 percent in 1989. (end quote)

I wonder how many of the top 3% have an active audio hobby?

Being a concerned citizen, I'm far more worried about the shift of wealth to such a small percentage of people than I am worrying about who spent what on audio gear. But the real question is what to do about it. Maybe I should be spend more time paying closer attention to politics and economics and spend less time on distractions such as forums, television drama, social media, YouTube, etc. There's the real trend that needs examining.

.......but enough OT drivel from me. My system is less than $5k, most of it on DIY speakers and the room. I have no doubt it can hang with the best 'high end' the industry offers regardless of cost.

3. To be able to afford a "high end audio system" you would have to have a very nice income, and as the Reuters article (supra) states, there is a growing concentration of income and wealth in the top 3% of the US population.

I agree. Twenty years ago I was a commissioned sales manager in the test and measurement equipment business. I averaged $150,000 a year, and was in the top 3% of US family income earners. In today's Dollars, that's $241,000. Today's income of $241K would be way outside of the top 3%.

Sure wish I still earned it though today :)

My wife is a pianist, and once I took her to the Steinway-dealer in the place I lived. I asked the salesperson if it was OK for my (then still) girlfriend to play some of the pianos, although we were not potential customers. "Sure, go ahead", he said. So, while my wife played several of them, I talked to the guy for a bit. We were standing close to a EUR 125,000 Concert Grand, and I asked if he sold many of those. "You would be surprised", he said. But he explained that most were bought by rich people to serve as furniture without being played.

He also told me that he, the week before, sold one to a guy that "wanted the best (read:L most expensive) piano for his wife who had lessons for 2 months", and he closed the deal within an hour!

I'm sure your experience is common. Hey, a grand piano makes for very nice furniture. I don't play, but If I had the room (and the money), I'd certainly want to put a nice looking grand piano in my parlor! Of course mine would have a Disklavier mechanism installed. Talk about the ultimate fi!

George

AQ Dragonfly + Audioengine A5 = High end audio. $548.00 + tax. Computer required...add $50.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Hey, here is a better scheme. Call yourself a "manufacturer" and get the same deal, only on new speakers.

Accommodation pricing on new gear is typically 50%.

or even an audio equipment reviewer, at times they get some nice deals as well.

Yep, a nasty circle. There are some reviewers who adhere to time limits on gear loans.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.