IGNORED

HDMI out to DAC

Hi,

my first post her - hope I am in the right place.

I have bought a Cen.Grand 5i-1800 Hi-Res player which sounds really good but with no good DLNA and no ability to access the root directory (so far) I have stated looking elsewhere for playing 24/192 files. So I recently bought a Yamaha Receiver (RX-V773) with network connection that also handles Hi-Res files.

I really like the sound of Wolfson WM8471 which both the 5i-1800 as well as a separate DAC I have has. So to get that sound from the Yamaha would it be possible to use HDMI out and build a new Wolfson equipped DAC with a HDMI in? In other words: Is HDMI out always un processed sound?

All the best

Stefan

So to get that sound from the Yamaha would it be possible to use HDMI out and build a new Wolfson equipped DAC with a HDMI in? In other words: Is HDMI out always un processed sound?

I don't think you will be able to get audio OUT of your Yamaha using HDMI.

You mention DLNA ... have you tried using MinimServer as the UPnP/DLNA server? What control points have you tried?

Computer Audiophile - The Complete Guide To HiFi UPnP / DLNA Network Audio is a little out of date but may have some suggestions to help you.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks for a quick reply and also getting the discussion over to the real issue at hand: My media player. I have browsed the net and the very good guide here but the problem is that I do not get Firmware/Root access to the Player (and I do not know anything about LINUX). I will try to find someone that do but without possible service code there might be problems. The player gets access to all shared discs in the network and can play fine but the other way around doesn't work. This means that the player is not visable in the network and can't be made a Renderer which is what I want. Also, feedback via DLNA to Andriod Phone/Tablet isn't working so to change tracks I have to use my projector :-( I have considered a separate screen (the player has none) but to get proper DLNA is ofcourse the real solution

I think I understand your problem now ... you can access UPnP using the Cen.Grand's own menus (onto your projector) but you can't "send" music to it from a separate control point? It sounds similar to the Oppo 93/94 / Cambridge Audio 751BD.

If this is the case I don't think there is much you are going to be able to do anything. A separate screen might be the best compromise for you but long term I think you will need to be looking at alternative hardware - there is not a software solution if it is as I think it is.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.