IGNORED

SACD ISO with one missing channel - Foobar problem?

HamDog

I've ripped many of my SACD's to ISO. I use Foobar to play them back. My Windows computer is connected via HDMI to my Oppo 105.

I have a problem with one ISO file. It's a 4-channel SACD and everything ripped fine to ISO with my Sony PS. When playing it back, Foobar's VU meter's show all 4 channels working fine. But there is no audio from the right rear speaker. My amplifier has dancing LED's for each channel and the right rear won't light up either. This can't possibly be a connection issue as all other ISO files play with all channels working.

What has me stomped is that Foobar's VU meters show there is musical signal. Have no idea why this one ISO's right rear channel won't play when all other ISO's are fine. Are Foobar's VU meter's reliable????

Hi Kal, thanks for the response. Not sure how to "force" Foobar into playing 5.1. Right now, from this one troubled ISO, I get the two front channels (right & left) along with the rear left - so it's 3 channels. Not sure how to force the right rear or 5.1. I have other discs that are 4 channels and they all play fine. I'll have to dig around Foobar's settings. Strange how all ISO's play fine except for the one missing channel in this one.

Hi Kal, thanks for the response. Not sure how to "force" Foobar into playing 5.1. Right now, from this one troubled ISO, I get the two front channels (right & left) along with the rear left - so it's 3 channels. Not sure how to force the right rear or 5.1. I have other discs that are 4 channels and they all play fine. I'll have to dig around Foobar's settings. Strange how all ISO's play fine except for the one missing channel in this one.

You'll probably find it's not missing as such ... its just the channel order is wrong so the "missing" channel is being played to either a subwoofer or centre (which may not exist).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Well, the source is 4 channels. I have an ADA amp which has lights for each channel and they dance around based on signal level on each channel. Only 3 channnels light up (two front and rear left). So don't know where the right rear may be going. What stomps me is that Foobar's VU meter shows all 4 channels working. I'll have to maybe extract into individual DSD files and see if the problem continues.

HamDog,

What audio output driver you use? May be need commutation in driver settings (like in foobar's ASIO)?

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

No drivers needed since I use WASAPI push (I use the HDMI port from my computer to Oppo's HDMI input). I believe ASIO drivers are for USB (not sure). I would love to use USB, but Oppo's USB input is only for 2-channel music. I have lots of multi-channel files.

You could try to use the DSP plugin "Matrix mixer" for Foobar to see if it might help you to get the "missing" channel re-routed to the correct channel:

Foobar2000:Matrix Mixer - SkipyWiki

It is for sure not the easiest plugin to understand, but it should help to get arround your problem.

As soon as you have fiddled around a bit with it, and got you the correct setting, it can also be used with Foobars "convert to ..." function, to let you store fixed FLACs of the ISO you mention above.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

One option: download a trial version of JRiver, which has an easy-to-use remapping screen. That way you can see if the C or LFE channel is the source.

jriver channel order.jpg

What is the recording, by the way? Maybe others (like Kal, DigiPete or I) can test too.

• 1 month later...

Problem fixed.

Life kept me busy and away from researching this issue. I had some spare time to play with it today and Audio_ELF was correct. The right rear channel was being re-directed to the subwoofer. Foobar's VU meter's showed the correct 4 channels playing, but somehow either the signal was being sent to my Oppo with one channel redirecting, or the Oppo was reading it incorrectly and sending the right rear output to the sub.

Foobar does the DSD to PCM conversion before sending the signal to Oppo. The next test was to convert to FLAC and test the FLAC file. I used Foobar to convert DSD to PCM (FLAC). Same exact problem when playing the FLAC files!!! Right rear channel redirected to the subwoofer.

BTW, there is no subwoofer audio on this specific SACD, It's only 4-channels (no center either).

Being absolutely stomped, I started playing around with all the DSD settings in Foobar. Under the SACD menu, the PCM sample rate was set to 176400. I changed this to 88200 and all channels started playing correctly.

Not sure why this one ISO file is affected by this sample rate and all other ISO's are fine. Since the problem persisted when playing the FLAC files, I can only presume it was Foobar's error.

I hope this helps someone else who has this problem in the future.

It would help more folks a lot more if you finally told us what the ISO was (as mentioned above I was willing to test over 30 days ago to see if I could recreate). But glad you figured it out.

ted_b, my sincere apologies. I didn't mean to keep the disc a secret, just completely forgot to reply to your post. The disc is an ISO-Mike disc: Joe McQueen - 10 at 86:

iso mike

ISO-Mike is part of Kimber Cable. I purchased it at the Newport Beach Audio Show from the Kimber Cable booth. I highly recommend it as the audio quality is one of the best. Excellent imaging and quality. It's one of the best recorded discs in my entire SACD collection.

No problem. Yes, it is one of my go to jazz discs. Excellent. I have all of Ray's discs, and have Robert Silverman's Mozart set signed when he played at RMAF a few years ago (and did again this year). I will have to check into the multichannel mix issues. Thx