IGNORED

Article: Auralic Aries ... So Far

nice write up Chris. two small points. WiMP (and other streaming providers such as Deezer, Spotify, 7Digital, etc) use tags to denote which tracks are playable in which region. this regional tag data is likely not available via the API, so it's not clear auralic will be able to fix this. I've experienced similar issues using Qobuz via LMS.

also, you state the auralic application can manage ~25M albums. this equates to ~250M tracks, which is likely greater than the number of tracks in existence. for reference, the Gracenote DB has metadata for ~180M tracks. perhaps you meant the aualic app can manage 25m tracks?

"so far so good"? I guess this means the sound quality is not day and night between a computer or CAPS server?

I see the wifi card is socketed. Probably a good thing. Is that memory in the other socket or a CPU or something else?

I wouldn't generalize on my "so far so good" comment.

The WiFi card is 802.11n, in case anyone was still wondering about ac support. WLE350NX

The other socket is the SoC or System on a Chip that holds the CPU and RAM and likely the pins for i2s etc...

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I asked Mr. Wang if the hardware would change for us early adopters and he said no.

So then I guess there will be no ac for the conceiveable future - bummer!

I had a hope for an external I2s port on the Aries, but it will remain in the SoC I assume.

It does support "AC" as bplexico has pointed out that he uses it.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

It doesn't say so in the specs:

'The iWavePort WLE350NX is a IEEE 802.11a/b/g' wireless adapter'/n wireless adapter

I hope it can be replaced easily by the owner.

Its current iteration can stream every format known to man. I am not sure what the advantages are of AC in that regard? I can stream DSD without any issues. I know that the AC protocol (at least in Mac routers) has reduced network transmission or penetration of a physical space. I have experienced that to some degree in my office.

'The iWavePort WLE350NX is a IEEE 802.11a/b/g' wireless adapter'/n wireless adapter

I stand corrected...it's is NOT "ac" compatible.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

It's a Mini PCIe card like in a notebook computer. Just unplug the antenna leads and pop it out.

If only it was that easy. You'll need drivers and possible config changes.

Well that's a given. Auralic would need to supply a firmware update at the same time with new card which they did extensive testing on. I don't imagine anyone will be experimenting with swapping wifi cards for kicks.

Well that's a given. Auralic would need to supply a firmware update at the same time with new card which they did extensive testing on. I don't imagine anyone will be experimenting with swapping wifi cards for kicks.

They have no interest in having an ac option since the current version works fine and isn't limited to distance. That's what I gather at least at this point.

Chris,

How does this compare with the SOtM sMS-100 Mini Server ?

There is a considerable difference in price (more than 2x I think).

I'm particularly interested in how these products handle streaming services (WiMP, Spotify and so on).

Many thanks as always for your insightful comments and, even more so, your dedication to computer audio.

Chris,

How does this compare with the SOtM sMS-100 Mini Server ?

There is a considerable difference in price (more than 2x I think).

I'm particularly interested in how these products handle streaming services (WiMP, Spotify and so on).

Many thanks as always for your insightful comments and, even more so, your dedication to computer audio.

The sMS-100 doesn't work with WiMP (now rebranded Tidal) or Qobuz.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Is there a list of DACs compatible with the USB port on the Aries? Curious to know if it will work with either my Meitner MA-1 or iFi micro iDSD - any idea?

There's this -- http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/dacs-have-been-tested-auralic-aries-work-21634/ -- too.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.