IGNORED

Do I need a NAS?

I am irrationally scared of the whole NAS concept as I am zero the IT type and network stuff scare the living caca out of me...! Beside that, I have only one system so I don't really need more than my pc with my external HD (+1 for backup). That works for me and I get that simple set up.

I was thinking of perhaps buying another external HD for back up at some point and I see that a external WD MyBook and a (NAS) MyCloud are pretty much the same price. So I was wondering, other than the backup/mirror principle of a NAS (which doesn't really apply here as a MyCloud is only 1 drive), would I benefit from one, in the context of my system?

I am mostly asking because my brother asked me for help with a solution for his house and I think a NAS would be appropriate there as he as multiple rooms, but before doing so, I want to get how It works for me, in my system so I can help him otherwise I am talking out of my ass and I wouldn't want that.

If someone here is following my "logic"... let me know!

Thanks!

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro

I bought a NAS two years ago. For large bulk file transfers it's too slow, and often seized when copying multiple streams. NAS have an OS, but it's not a Windows or OSX, although it can look like one at times.

Hard drives will fail, and if they do, a drive can be replaced if the correct RAID system is selected, for a novice, I didn't find that comfortable.

If the disk controller fails in a NAS and the RAID is implemented, you've lost your data anyway. For this reason, my NAS sits un-powered, and is a storage cabinet for when the other drives in a portable FW enclosure fail.

OSX backs up on a time machine, so if any one disk fails, there is the other. While using the NAS, you need to be proficient in getting a network up and ready, might be second nature to some, I find it a trial and would rather avoid fiddling, just setting up a router is difficult enough.

I would say, find another system of storing files other than a NAS. If you're Apple inclined, the Airport Extreme (wired/wireless router) has facilities to attach USB drives (or printers), which therefore can be shared, avoiding the NAS structure. It's 'simple' to setup and it works very reliably.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I don't see how using a NAS would be beneficial for me. I have my data stored on drives in a passive external enclosure.

I have a large library, spread across multiple large drives. The last thing I'd want is a RAID where multiple copies of my library are on drives that are constantly spinning and being worn down, however gradually. Instead I easily maintain a full, incremental backup of my entire library on a separate set of drives that remain off 98% of the time. It is not uptime that I'm concerned with for my music library, but the ability to recover in the event of drive failure. Maintaining a third copy (2 online, 1 offline) for RAID redundancy seems to be both high cost and low benefit.

There are people who wish to be able to access their data remotely while their computer is off, but I have no need for that thus far.

Additionally, if you read the comments section at Amazon, you'll find lots of dissatisfaction with many of the NAS enclosures out there. It is usually the more expensive brands that are rated favorably.

Many posters here seem to like running a NAS. Maybe someone will post here and I can better learn the benefits, because I just don't see it.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

There are many benefits with NAS, it is you that has to see if all of this might be of interest. For example I bought Synology 214+ when my MyBook Live 1TB shrunk :) I also didn't have any experience with networking, but if you are able to install OS by yourself you don't have to worry about that. So I use my NAS for now as backup of desktop PC, which is connected to music rig through HiFace EVO. Latter if I buy let say Auralic Aries I'm ready to go...

I also use it to read books on tablet (DS File App. on iPad, main PC doesn't have to be turned on), and on iPhone I've installed DS Audio, when main PC is turned off and I need some background music, plug iPhone in Pure i20 dock (digital coax. to DAC), and stream music from NAS in native resolution with excellent quality. Another use will be for OLIVE ONE that just arrived, but didn't had time to install it in bedroom.

Hope it helps...

P.S.

My opinion is that for private use RAID should be avoided, that is better suited for companies and professional use. Three backups at least (one off-site) and sleep peacefully...

I am irrationally scared of the whole NAS concept as I am zero the IT type and network stuff scare the living caca out of me...! Beside that, I have only one system so I don't really need more than my pc with my external HD (+1 for backup). That works for me and I get that simple set up.

I was thinking of perhaps buying another external HD for back up at some point and I see that a external WD MyBook and a (NAS) MyCloud are pretty much the same price. So I was wondering, other than the backup/mirror principle of a NAS (which doesn't really apply here as a MyCloud is only 1 drive), would I benefit from one, in the context of my system?

I am mostly asking because my brother asked me for help with a solution for his house and I think a NAS would be appropriate there as he as multiple rooms, but before doing so, I want to get how It works for me, in my system so I can help him otherwise I am talking out of my ass and I wouldn't want that.

If someone here is following my "logic"... let me know!

Thanks!

I bought a WD MyCloud not so long ago and mount it for music replay. It's served me well.

It's a bit back-to-front, but once I stop listening, I run a script to back up all the latest music on it to a 128Gb SD card. Not especially efficient, but it runs when I am asleep and I really like using this card for music replay in my car, laptops, and with my Raspberry Pi.

Front End: Neet Airstream

Digital Processing: Chord Hugo M-Scaler

DAC: Chord Dave

Amplification: Cyrus Mono x300 Signatures

Speakers: Kudos Titan T88

The NAS part is easy if you buy Synology. To get value out of it, you need a competent UPNP renderer, not sure the BD-83 was designed to support. I'm very pleased with the Synology DS214play just bought, using SSD drives it beats the tweaked PC Server 2012 media server setup I've had feeding an Oppo 103 for the past year.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

The NAS part is easy if you buy Synology. To get value out of it, you need a competent UPNP renderer, not sure the BD-83 was designed to support. I'm very pleased with the Synology DS214play just bought, using SSD drives it beats the tweaked PC Server 2012 media server setup I've had feeding an Oppo 103 for the past year.

I am in the process of setting up a Synology 1813+. I don't find it easy so far; part of it are issues with my computer network. I am a CPA not an IT expert. It's essential that you use the 70 page manual but I saw no reference to it when I set it up initially. I'm using the current version DMS 5. I think the interface/ dashboard is very cartoonish. The thing to remember is that its primary purpose is not to play back audio files although that is what everyone here is using it for. It is extremely powerful tool for managing your computer, network but I will never use 95% of its capabilities. Anyway I have about 8 TB of music files, so it is the only practical way to play them back. I am also setting it up for Raid 6.

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

Have you got it setup yet? I have an 1812+ which is one generation prior to yours but essentially the same. I am sure you are aware of the fact that while the NAS setup in a RAID configuration, especially RAID6 is fairly redundant, you are going to want to have a back up the contents of the NAS stored separate from the NAS. Did you put five 4 terabyte drives in the 1813+?

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

A NAS gains the benefit when you have a large amount of data, you want it located in one place and you want the help of redundant hard drives (RAID). The problem most people make is they don't spend enough and buy cheap. Cheap is okay when you're buying an HD for your computer, but when it comes to using a NAS, you gain the benefit of spending the money.

A NAS gives you the benefit (a bunch do) of being able to expand as you grow. However, it does NOT give you the security of backups. You still need to consider backing up (via USB or to another NAS). RAID is there to protect and help keep your uptime in case of a HD failure, but it's not backup.

I definitely suggest spending the money on a QNAP or Synology NAS. For the most part they are easier than a lot of setups. If you want to get into building yourself one, it's pretty easy to do and you can have good success with it. One thing a lot of people don't think about is you can turn your current computer into a NAS without much work. You just need a good RAID Controller (something like the Areca or LSI ones) You'll spend the money same as a NAS on a good controller...but the only real limit will be your case. If you have a nice tower PC, you can probably fit between 8 and 12 HDs in it, that's a lot of storage considering 6 and 8TB drives are on the way. A good controller will give you comfort of RAID and you can share out the folder (or add a DLNA service for media streaming) and you can keep your windows/linux/or MAC OS that you like.... This is the route I went, since I run windows at home, a 2012 server made sense for me for sharing, serviio for DLNA, and NFS for any linux and even have AFP for the MACs. :)

Have you got it setup yet? I have an 1812+ which is one generation prior to yours but essentially the same. I am sure you are aware of the fact that while the NAS setup in a RAID configuration, especially RAID6 is fairly redundant, you are going to want to have a back up the contents of the NAS stored separate from the NAS. Did you put five 4 terabyte drives in the 1813+?

Barr

It's still checking the discs, it been doing it for 15 hours and its at 61%. I have 4 WD4000F9YZ 4TB HDs. Yes I think I need another one and I will buy it. As far as backing it up, I have all the music files on Hard Drives already so not planning on backing it up. I'm not planning on buying large amounts of music files as I think I have about 70,000 now !!

One thing I don't like are the plastic clips that hold in the HDs, somewhat tricky to get them in. I think yours screws in someway. I haven't gotten this far yet but I have two questions, maybe you can help. I have four other HDs now with the music files, three of them have Jazz and Rock and Roll which I want to combine on the NAS, the other has classical which I want to keep separate. There is also a way, I think I saw this to access the NAS without going through the Internet. I use JRiver software. The NAS is in my basement office and I have Ethernet cables though the walls to my computer upstairs. Anyway, I am happy I bought it. I will also use it to back-up business files as a secondary back-up. I back-up everything now to a another HD.

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

Snip, snip...

One thing I don't like are the plastic clips that hold in the HDs, somewhat tricky to get them in. I think yours screws in someway. I haven't gotten this far yet but I have two questions, maybe you can help. I have four other HDs now with the music files, three of them have Jazz and Rock and Roll which I want to combine on the NAS, the other has classical which I want to keep separate. There is also a way, I think I saw this to access the NAS without going through the Internet. I use JRiver software. The NAS is in my basement office and I have Ethernet cables though the walls to my computer upstairs. Anyway, I am happy I bought it. I will also use it to back-up business files as a secondary back-up. I back-up everything now to a another HD.

Yes my older version uses screws, so no experience with the plastic clips.

As to your second question, I am not quite sure that I follow. Do you wish to move all four hard drives of music to the NAS, but keep the classical section separate from the Jazz and Rock and Roll collection? And do you want all of them to be available to JRIVER?

Jason can answer your second question, I pinged him...

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

In regards to the second matter, access outside the home, well the internet is still at play here, but no hard wired ethernet connections required, nor being within your home network. Passed along from my friends the cable builder...

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/tutorials/456

Yes my older version uses screws, so no experience with the plastic clips.

As to your second question, I am not quite sure that I follow. Do you wish to move all four hard drives of music to the NAS, but keep the classical section separate from the Jazz and Rock and Roll collection? And do you want all of them to be available to JRIVER?

Jason can answer your second question, I pinged him...

Yes and Yes to your questions. I listen to classical less than the other types so I don't see a reason to scroll through hundreds of more files. Thanks.

Well given that you are using JRIVER, you could copy all your music to the NAS. Say for example the folder on your NAS which holds on your music is called "Music"

I would copy all the Jazz into a folder called "Jazz" under the "Music" folder (so it would look like "Music\Jazz\<Artist>\album"

I would copy all the Rock into a folder called "Rock" under the "Music" folder (so it would look like "Music\Rock\<Artist>\album"

I would copy all the classical into a folder called "Classical" under the "Music" folder (so it would look like "Music\Classical\<Artist>\album"

Next JRIVER allows on to have multiple Libraries. Using Library Manager within JRIVER I would do the following:

I would setup the first library to include the folders "Jazz" and "Rock".

I would then create a second library and include the folder called "Classical"

And you can switch between libraries in JRIVER. So one would have your Jazz and Rock albums, and the other library would have just classical.

Barr

As a long time home NAS user here are the benefits I see...

-If you have more than one computer you can share files easily (who doesn't have more than one computer - I am including tablets and phones here as they too connect to it).

-If you listen to digital music in more than one location you can share the same library.

-I back up the hard drives on my computers to it.

-It is much more reliable than a single hard drive due to the use of multiple redundant drives. I have had a hard drive fail in it. Shut it down, bought a new hard drive, popped in the new one, turned it on, no data lost and after the new drive synched was fully redundant again.

-It is not hard to set up and further more you only have to do it once. I check the box about once a month to make sure everything is running fine but otherwise pretty much ignore it and it works.

-It has gobs and gobs of space and I can add more all in one large volume. I do set up separate volumes for different things but I don't have to worry about which drive they are on.

I can't imagine not having a NAS not just for music serving (my original use when I bought into the Sonos system when they first came out) but a lot of uses in this digital age.

Well given that you are using JRIVER, you could copy all your music to the NAS. Say for example the folder on your NAS which holds on your music is called "Music"

I would copy all the Jazz into a folder called "Jazz" under the "Music" folder (so it would look like "Music\Jazz\<Artist>\album"

I would copy all the Rock into a folder called "Rock" under the "Music" folder (so it would look like "Music\Rock\<Artist>\album"

I would copy all the classical into a folder called "Classical" under the "Music" folder (so it would look like "Music\Classical\<Artist>\album"

Next JRIVER allows on to have multiple Libraries. Using Library Manager within JRIVER I would do the following:

I would setup the first library to include the folders "Jazz" and "Rock".

I would then create a second library and include the folder called "Classical"

And you can switch between libraries in JRIVER. So one would have your Jazz and Rock albums, and the other library would have just classical.

Barr

okay