IGNORED

The B-52s - Complete Studio Album Collection 1979-1992

Much as I love the Bs, I doubt any of this is remastered - probably just taken from the original recordings and placed in a 24/192 container.

That said, I went ahead and bought the set in 24/96 (just couldn't bring myself to spring for 24/192), since I had most of this only in 256k MP3. And it sounds great. I just wouldn't expect any sonic revelations from the higher sampling rates . . .

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Thanks all for your comments. I decided life is short and got the collection myself as well. There is a lot of material there, 63 tracks so I have not listened to everything yet, but very very enjoyable, no regrets, great band, great tunes.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Great comments, guys. Thank you for posting...brings back a lot of memories...just might have to download!

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

I'm also in the "life's too short" camp. Having enjoyed the music in a straight run through, I then did a quick A/B with a selection of ripped CD tracks and the Hires has it. I'd say there is a bit more resolution and detail in the 24/192 offering (compared to the original UK CD releases) but not much. The vocals at times, sound better resolved and occasionally the (never all that well recorded) bass reveals something I don't think I've heard before. Par for the course considering the material. I'm happy I got them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hang-on, are we talking about the same B-52s here? Never thought of them as a hi-rez sort of band. I always listened to them while sweaty and drunk on a dance floor through over-driven PA speakers.

Don't get me wrong I love their music but just can't imagine it without a lot of distortion both chemical and electrical. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for posting about this with their impressions and some technical info.

There's two coupons for a combined total of 30% off of this and several other Warner box sets at HDTracks - good through Monday night.

I'm in for the 24/192!

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i