IGNORED

Seagate Ships An 8 Terabyte Hard Drive

MTBF of two months?

No, that's Seagate's 4TB HD's.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Bit of a tongue in cheek statement, I admit. Seagate however have an unenviable reputation and backed up with real MTBF data of delivering worse figures than the likes of Hitachi, WD for example.

Which brand of hard disk is most reliable? | News | PC Pro

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Bit of a tongue in cheek statement, I admit. Seagate however have an unenviable reputation and backed up with real MTBF data of delivering worse figures than the likes of Hitachi, WD for example.

This drive has a unique protection against pirated stuff; the more illegal copies you put on it, the lower the MTBF will get.

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

This drive has a unique protection against pirated stuff; the more illegal copies you put on it, the lower the MTBF will get.

Based on current pirated material download quantity, the drive will have very low MTBF, and what's worse, you need another drive for backup, as the article explains. The cure is just to have your local CDs ripped on these drives, should last a lot longer, hey.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Based on current pirated material download quantity, the drive will have very low MTBF, and what's worse, you need another drive for backup, as the article explains. The cure is just to have your local CDs ripped on these drives, should last a lot longer, hey.

Just don't save PS3 ripped SACDs to it ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I had trouble with some Seagate products in the 1980s and 1990s, butI have some 2004 Seagates still spinning in various locations. (Not in critical locations of course.)

In fact, I gave a Seagate 10meg drive that spins up and drives a Fat Mac, all original. 1985.

The Seagate 2TB drives here have all been reliable too,attached to various PCs and such,powered up 24x7. In operation over a year.

Not sure this pre-judging stuff is at all justified.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

No, that's Seagate's 4TB HD's.

Larry

Hey, that means I've got two of 'em that are way out on the plus side of the mean already! :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I got Seagate external desktop drives when I startes with computer audio years agowith 2TB capacity and both failed within 2 years ...

Since then I am using around a dozen of external and internal WD drives and only one failed after 3 years of daily use.

MTBF ?

IMO the personal experience made me a WD advocate ...

Hey, that means I've got two of 'em that are way out on the plus side of the mean already! :)

I, unfortunately have not had as good luck. I bought a Synology NAS with 12 Seagate 3TB drives three years ago and ALL of them have failed. I have replaced all of them with WD reds (4TB) and none of those have failed, some already have exceeded the MTBF of the Seagates. Similar good experience with WD 4TB's in a Synology 8 drive unit.

Larry

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

On the subject of reliability in hard drives:

Who makes the most reliable hard drives? | ExtremeTech

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

I, unfortunately have not had as good luck. I bought a Synology NAS with 12 Seagate 3TB drives three years ago and ALL of them have failed. I have replaced all of them with WD reds (4TB) and none of those have failed, some already have exceeded the MTBF of the Seagates. Similar good experience with WD 4TB's in a Synology 8 drive unit.

Larry

Larry

Wow! Anecdotal but- wow.

Did you let the drives go into their power saving mode? That can kill them off really fast, in my experience.

Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

On the subject of reliability in hard drives: Who makes the most reliable hard drives? | ExtremeTech

This is not really good data for a number of reasons, and has been debunked a number of times.

Dispelling Backblaze's HDD Reliability Myth - The Real Story Covered - Drive Sourcing

I will add though, that I won't buy any Seagate drive since they have often been first in a number of areas like capacity, and those drives have often had serious problems.

Ever since they purchased Maxtor - a company whose drives were always unreliable, I just don't trust the Seagate brand any more. Who knows what you're actually getting when you buy one of their disks.

Right now, I like the server-grade WD drives (SE or RE) and would recommend Hitachi if you want something cheaper.

Avoid the WD Green drives like the plague, and while they seem to be less problematic, I would be hesitant to use any of the consumer WD drives like Reds, Blues, or Blacks if your data is important.

Of course any mechanical drive will eventually fail. Be sure to keep something like HD Sentinel running to monitor their health, and pull the drive out/back up your data as soon as there are any errors reported.

With a program like this monitoring the health of your drives, you usually have enough of a warning to prevent data loss.