IGNORED

WD My Book Thunderbolt Duo v. Synology NAS

I use a MacBook Pro and am ready to use Ted's ripping program (Thank you Ted!!) to rip about 5-600 SACDs to ISO. From the point of view of sound quality primarily, but also stability, would the Thunderbolt Duo be preferable to a Synology NAS because of the faster transfer speed?

If you rip a SACD you will get extracting rates like 2.6Mbps ... nothing to worry about for any interface.

A typical SACD iso file might be around 3GB, which will result in approx 1.8TB of storage you want to consider.

Next is a backup solution as you would need a mirror of your rips.

(You don't want to repeat the extraction process after a harddrive failure ...)

There have been many debates about sound quality advantages of direct asynchronous USB vs network ethernet connections, their transmission protocols, jitter and error rates and not to forget about influences of cables being used.

Personally I don't expect to find an answer on this question here which might qualify for a clear answer.

Is the OP talking about using a PS3 to rip and transferring the rips to his MacBook Pro or is there now a way to rip without a PS3?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Is the OP talking about using a PS3 to rip and transferring the rips to his MacBook Pro or is there now a way to rip without a PS3?

Afaik there is still no way to rip SACD except the known PS3 procedure.

But you might connect a WD Book via USB to the PS3 or use the network extraction and point the output folder to a NAS.

Yep, good setup to start with.

I recommend WD Red drives for the NAS, they are highly reliable, robust and "made for NAS"

I ripped a couple of hundreds myself as well and keep all the ISO files on my NAS.

Playback is via extracted DSF files (for more convenient direct access of single tracks) from Firewire connected WD Passport Studio drives to my MacBook pro.

I bought a PS3 from Jason for the task.

Well done. Don't know if you got the adjustable fan, but if you did, I'd say turn it all the way up. Yes it will sound like a jet engine spinning up for takeoff, but it will keep the PS3's innards nice and cool and prevent failure. This is especially so when ripping several SACDs sequentially. (I'd say let it have a rest after each several albums - you want it to last to the end of your SACDs, right?)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I bought a PS3 from Jason for the task.

I'm looking for a PS3 for SACD ripping - still trying to figure out if the firmware version makes a difference.... I keep getting sidetracked then trying to find the conversations again... Is someone here selling units?

Original Poster:

I have a Thunderbolt Duo set up as a mirror - it's very nice, very fast. I do most of my work on a MacBook Pro now, so I link up to the Duo for backups, I also use Buffalo 1T portables for backups so I can keep an off site. For the Bigger stuff I keep a few 3T drives at home and off site for backups.

For what you're doing - I the NAS should be fine, and possibly more convenient. The big advantage to the Duo is the speed so if your working on the files - ripping, editing meta-data, etc then it might be a good choice but I'd think you could do the same work on the internal drive then transfer to the NAS...

I'm looking for a PS3 for SACD ripping - still trying to figure out if the firmware version makes a difference.... I keep getting sidetracked then trying to find the conversations again... Is someone here selling units?

I have a PS3 with v3.55 and the ripping software already installed that I am now finished with. All Original and in perfect working order with external fan pack. PM me if interested.

Dave.

2011 Mac Mini (16GB RAM) --> Audirvana Plus --> M2Tech HiFace2 --> Emotiva XDA-1 DAC --> B&K Reference 31 --> B&K 2140 (2-channel) + B&K 3140 (3-channel) --> Energy RC-30 Reference Connoisseur (Mains) + Energy RC-10 (Surrounds)