IGNORED

Can Synology Audio Station play FLAC files?

Hi,

reading around on internet I seem to understand that I can listen to FLAC music stored on my Synology 214+ NAS using Audio Station as a player and feeding the music via USB to my iFi Micro iDSD DAC. It works perfectly fine with mp3, but when I try running a FLAC file it simply doesn't play... am I missing something?

Also something weird happens. I have a FLAC subfolder in my Music folder, but Audio Station doesn't seem to see this.

HELP

issue.png

Why not install Java and Minimserver ?

You will be able to stream not only Flac but DSD etc ...

Hi and thanks for picking this up!

I have installed Java and also Minimserver, but I have no idea how to make it work, could you please give me some advise? What player should I output music files to my DAC?

Once you've done this

Installing MinimServer on a Synology NAS

you should be ready to go to use your NAS with any DLNA renderer (like I do with my Pioneer N-50) or with other UPnP compliant control points.

Pls specify more which hardware you are using and how your setup is configured, then more members might be able to help.

ok I might understand what my limitation is. I was assuming that once I had Minimsever installed on my NAS i needed a media player (always on the NAS), however you are telling me I need an external player. This might be an issue given my current layout:

Synology DS214+ NAS -> USB Cable -> ifi Micro iDSD DAC -> RCA to RCA Cable -> Audiolab 8000A Ampllifier -> B&W CM1 Speakers

Hi,

reading around on internet I seem to understand that I can listen to FLAC music stored on my Synology 214+ NAS using Audio Station as a player and feeding the music via USB to my iFi Micro iDSD DAC. It works perfectly fine with mp3, but when I try running a FLAC file it simply doesn't play... am I missing something?

Also something weird happens. I have a FLAC subfolder in my Music folder, but Audio Station doesn't seem to see this.

HELP

Hi sburtt,

I have quite a lot of experience with DS Audio Station and I can confirm it should and will play FLAC files through the USB Speaker output. You seem to have a particular problem here that I have not seen before.

1. The classical folder and FLAC folder you show have an identical date stamp. So what were you doing at 24-08-2014 00:24:08 ? Trying to play a FLAC file ?

2. Can you show me the contents of the FLAC folder ? Are there music files there or maybe just log files etc. ?

3. Do you have access to another USB DAC by any chance ? This would be useful to rule out your DAC from the equation.

Hi sburtt,

I have quite a lot of experience with DS Audio Station and I can confirm it should and will play FLAC files through the USB Speaker output. You seem to have a particular problem here that I have not seen before.

1. The classical folder and FLAC folder you show have an identical date stamp. So what were you doing at 24-08-2014 00:24:08 ? Trying to play a FLAC file ?

2. Can you show me the contents of the FLAC folder ? Are there music files there or maybe just log files etc. ?

3. Do you have access to another USB DAC by any chance ? This would be useful to rule out your DAC from the equation.

Hi NWTStuff,

thanks for helping me out on this... it's driving me crazy.

to reply to your questions:

1. yes i was trying to play a flac file. what I will do is cancel and copy all the music folders again;

2. in the FLAC folder I have both FLAC files and subfolders with FLAC files;

3. I don't this the USB DAC is the problem, however I don't have another one to try. My DAC (http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-idsd/) is very new and versatile;

I think Audio Station is the issue, I say this because when I right click on a FLAC file and then send it to Audio Station by clicking on Play the file doesn't start, the time remains at 00:00 as if the player is unable to read the FLAC file. Have you ever encountered this?

Hi NWTStuff,

thanks for helping me out on this... it's driving me crazy.

to reply to your questions:

1. yes i was trying to play a flac file. what I will do is cancel and copy all the music folders again;

2. in the FLAC folder I have both FLAC files and subfolders with FLAC files;

3. I don't this the USB DAC is the problem, however I don't have another one to try. My DAC (Micro – iDSD) is very new and versatile;

I think Audio Station is the issue, I say this because when I right click on a FLAC file and then send it to Audio Station by clicking on Play the file doesn't start, the time remains at 00:00 as if the player is unable to read the FLAC file. Have you ever encountered this?

OK

Very Strange in particular the file duplication. My guess there is 2 separate issues here.

1. For the file duplication can you stop any other apps that are consider as a media server (e.g. DLNA Server, Minim Server etc.). Don't need to uninstall just stop the apps in Package Center. Then delete the errant files and see if they reappear.

2. For the Playback problem. What are you using as a Control Device (e.g. Windows PC, Tablet, MAC etc.) ? Instead of selecting "USB Speakers" for playback select "My Computer" in Audio Station UI. What happens now when you try to play a FLAC file ?

OK

Very Strange in particular the file duplication. My guess there is 2 separate issues here.

1. For the file duplication can you stop any other apps that are consider as a media server (e.g. DLNA Server, Minim Server etc.). Don't need to uninstall just stop the apps in Package Center. Then delete the errant files and see if they reappear.

2. For the Playback problem. What are you using as a Control Device (e.g. Windows PC, Tablet, MAC etc.) ? Instead of selecting "USB Speakers" for playback select "My Computer" in Audio Station UI. What happens now when you try to play a FLAC file ?

It's working now!

not sure what did the trick, i also updated to the latest software version and Flac files play just fine.

however, i have a few questions for you:

1. Can you confirm that DSD files don't currently work on Audio Station?

2. Do you know if there is a way to display the output sampling format? I mean how do i know that Audio Station is not down/up-sampling the files? Does it output files as native format to the DAC?

3. Strange enough i am unable to control volume on my DAC, is this normal?

thanks for your help!

OK, I got you, you mean NAS (network attached storage = your Synology) not NAD (a company producing audio components).

With all respect, I think you are mixing up elements of the discussion, so let's talk about basics:

a) your NAS (Synology) is without any server program only a hard drive on your network where you can store files. you can write and read files or load them into any program when accessed via a computer.

b) your NAS runs a program called media server (Minimserver) to make media files available to clients (products that can decode audio files received over LAN), now it becomes more "intelligent".

c) not all media server programs can send all sort of files through your network so that the recipient, the renderer, can understand what the files is. In your case the original Synology DSM can show you DSD files by accessing the drive with a computer, but it cannot serve DSD files with the pre-installed audio server by Synology, nor can it handle DSd files with the DSaudio tablet/smartphone app.

d) you need a DSD capable server software on your NAS, which you installed with Minimserver. So far, so good.

e) now you need a DAC which is capable of receiving DSD files over ethernet

f) ethernet transmission for DSD files is either native DSD or DoP (DSD packed lossless into PCM frames), depending on what kind of file your DAC will expect / can handle

g) i am not familiar with your DAC, but most probably it does not understand DSD over ethernet (which is the case for many DACs)

some DACs understand DSD when input through USB, but many do not understand DSD over ethernet - to put it simply.

OK, I got you, you mean NAS (network attached storage = your Synology) not NAD (a company producing audio components).

With all respect, I think you are mixing up elements of the discussion, so let's talk about basics:

a) your NAS (Synology) is without any server program only a hard drive on your network where you can store files. you can write and read files or load them into any program when accessed via a computer.

b) your NAS runs a program called media server (Minimserver) to make media files available to clients (products that can decode audio files received over LAN), now it becomes more "intelligent".

c) not all media server programs can send all sort of files through your network so that the recipient, the renderer, can understand what the files is. In your case the original Synology DSM can show you DSD files by accessing the drive with a computer, but it cannot serve DSD files with the pre-installed audio server by Synology, nor can it handle DSd files with the DSaudio tablet/smartphone app.

d) you need a DSD capable server software on your NAS, which you installed with Minimserver. So far, so good.

e) now you need a DAC which is capable of receiving DSD files over ethernet

f) ethernet transmission for DSD files is either native DSD or DoP (DSD packed lossless into PCM frames), depending on what kind of file your DAC will expect / can handle

g) i am not familiar with your DAC, but most probably it does not understand DSD over ethernet (which is the case for many DACs)

some DACs understand DSD when input through USB, but many do not understand DSD over ethernet - to put it simply.

Sorry for the typo NAD/NAS..

Thanks for your time. This is crystal clear now.

Correct, my DAC hasn't a Ethernet port.

I was looking for a solution in order to avoid having to buy a media server, but it sounds like (at the moment) Synology doesn't have the technology to send DSD via USB. Hence the only other solution I see is having a very long USB cable from my PC to the DAC in the livingroom and remote control J River via my Ipad.

would you agree with this? And last question: do you think a long USB cable could have impact on audio quality?

again thanks for your time

How long is "very long?" If it's over 15 feet, then there are USB extenders that seem to work. Search the forums for this, as there have been threads that consider the sound quality of some of the extender technologies.

Forget about it. I decided to go for a dedicated CAPS. Thanks

• 2 months later...
Just discovered Audio Station and its working quite nicely with the Dragonfly USB DAC. I also see that they are working on DSD for DSM 5.1 beta. Could make a very nice nucleus for a desk type headphone station. Using Hifiman HE-400 and feeding the Dragonfly output to Hifiman EF5 headphone amp

It is a handy tool. Just be careful with Audio Station and the transcoding setting. Another good option for DLNA on Synology is the Media Server.

Also just tried using an idle JKMKIII asynch USB converter I have to Metrum Octave DAC, main system, worked fine. Quite nice actually, not as resolving as the Oppo with SMB but showed none of the midrange tone color bleaching I experienced from asynch USB with all PC solutions, including optimized Server 2012 setup. Ordered an iFi nano iDSD because I prefer DSD, will advise if it works as well as join the 5.1 beta.

Data rate documentation is weak for Audio Station, you do get to select generic high quality (24 bit support).

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

It is a handy tool. Just be careful with Audio Station and the transcoding setting. Another good option for DLNA on Synology is the Media Server.

Yeah, I've noticed that transcoding setting. What's the best way to turn it off entirely? I haven't figured that out yet.