IGNORED

How would you place speakers in this room?

Hello,

I just moved to a new apartment and have a problem.

I'm about to buy speakers and an amp, but I'm not sure how to place the speakers.

The rig will be under the TV, but because this unsymmetrical built, I'm not sure how to put the speakers.

If floor-standing speakers, the left one will have more room to the back wall the the right one.

If bookshelf speakers, would it be too high to place them on this shelf above the TV? Will the fact, that on the right there's a column and on the left there isn't be a problem?

How far should the speakers be from each other? The top shelf has a bit less then 180cm...

Thanks for the help

20140822_113410.jpg

Placing bookshelf speakers on the shelf above the TV is way too high. You want the speaker tweeters to be at the same height as your ears when sitting in your listening chair.

Could you place the speakers along the wall with the window, so that you will be facing the window when listening?

In that setup, the stereo gear could be placed on the shelving to the left, in the corner of the room, and that would be good. Ideally, you don't want any furniture/gear placed between your speakers, or placed between your listening chair and the speakers. This is not always possible though.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Since the speakers are meant to be used also for the TV (Set-Top Box (over SPDIF) and Udoo Mini Computer/Music and Movie Server (over USB) to DAC to amp to speakers) they need to face the same direction as the TV. I guess I could place bookshelfs simply on stands, but the different distance the two speakers will have to the wall worries me.

Should this be an issue? besides from looking akward..

I guess it comes down to priorities. The sound quality for watching TV for me would be secondary. I would get small speakers or a sound bar for purposes of watching TV. Put your good speakers on the wall with the window.

Then, when you want to listen to music, you simply turn your chair and face the windows.

But, if this is not appealing to you and you want to use the same speakers for music and TV then it seems your only option is to place your speakers as you mentioned in your original post, regardless of the difference in the distance to the wall or the column. I don't think it will be a massive problem, not ideal, but workable.

P.S. if you do place your speakers by the TV (as opposed to by the windows), I assume you will need to place one speaker in front of the column. That would then dictate that the other speaker be placed an equal distance from the TV monitor. The resulting distance between the speakers will be small. If your listening position is close the to TV, not a problem, but if you are sitting further away, it will not be a very good placement with respect to sound quality.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC