IGNORED

direction please

Maybe I'll save the other research for after I get CA up and running:) Old World or not, these are going to be my speakers for a while since I've only had them a few months, and really like the way they sound and image. The rabbit holes of this hobby are steep, and I'd prefer to avoid bunny trails as well, if you'll forgive the metaphor-mixing;)

You have a great pair of beautiful speakers, you just need to get them dialed in (as all of us have had to do). Listen to Mayhem13, it's rare you get good precise advice.

And watch out for those rabbit holes, some of them get real deep real quick.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Ok great, so you'd recommend a build-my-own PC? I have friends at work who are more than capable of that, so I'd be covered there in terms of hardware. I can locate it outside the listening room since that seems preferable as well. Will the AC/Ethernet adaptors I'm using transfer the bits cleanly enough? For audio and potentially video?

Point taken on the speaker/room tuning. I do know I need to address that....later:)

I use Netgear Nano500's a they have a great AC filter stage. No unwanted noise on either audio or HD video where noise would certainly be more apparent.

Yes, by all means build a PC. Windows 7 OS though.....no server or 8 ok?

Ok great, thanks. I heard Windows 7 is preferable to 8. I'm sitting here with Pandora on as I scarf down dinner and SWMBO is playing Grandma at the kids house, and Mark Knoffler is 10-12' away working his magic on his guitar..., I know this is low-fi streaming, but dang it sounds good!! Its why I'm eager to get the source upgraded to hear what these speakers can really do.

I really do appreciate the time and effort of all the responses! Thank you to all who've contributed. Its not in vain, I am taking on board the recommendations, and WILL dive in soon once I've planned everything as well as I can.....

I finally pulled the trigger on 'good' speakers, and as I'm going through all my discs, its clear I need to move into this century for storage, playback, and new music, especially higher quality music now that I have equipment worthy of it.

So, given that I've read the 'i dont even know what i dont know' article, I need three things. A place to keep the media (storage), a computer to direct the music between storage device and the audio system, and a program to facilitate said directing. I see discussions on DAC's, but was wondering if I can use existing ones in my Oppo 103.

So, do i just surf the various forums on the three listed needs and 'pick something'? This has become such a big subject and I feel truly overwhelmed, but I want to expand my music collection, and get the most enjoyment from what is becoming a good system....Aerial 7T's, Odyssey Stratos, Oppo103, and Yamaha RXA3010 receiver

Thanks in advance

hi english210,

like you, am relatively new to computer audiophile-ing. initially, felt like bilbo/frodo stepping out of bag end.

that said, no doubt everyone has tried to help with the best intentions. if you have started your journey one way/another, no point in further muddy-ing the waters, so to speak.

however,

if you are interested in convenient solutions from a fellow newbie, solutions that may get you up and running in a day (in time for christmas and new year festivities with decent music), will try to help. do let me know.

cheers.

My goal is not to dive in with the 'bees knees' of computer audio, but to get a workable, reliable, easy to use setup that will be the platform for any necessary further growth.

dear english210,

proposal:

(1) macbook pro 13” + (2) audirvana plus >> (3) chord hugo >> your yamaha receiver >> odyssey stratos >> aerial 7Ts. add a (4) toshiba 1TB ext drive to store/back-up your files.

components rationale:

(1) 13” macbook pro (mbp - 2.6GHz i5 microprocessor, 2560 x 1600 screen, 8GB ram, 128GB SSD drive):

(a) mac OSX is user-friendly and stable = it’s easier to set-up and use from start-up. no pressing need for anti-virus. lots of documented processes on CA for subsequent tweakery.

(b) lovely screen = viewing/storing photos/videos re: family festivities portraits, emails, facetime and posting on CA.

© portable = can be placed anywhere in lounge (within reach of cables/wi-fi/bluetooth), taken on travels, or out to the patio/garden (more on this below).

(d) online music access = can be used to buy/download music from Qobuz, HD tracks, Acoustic Sounds, et al.

(e) media access = 2 x usb3 ports, 2 x thunderbolt ports, sdxc card slot.

(f) wireless = wi-fi and bluetooth

(g) a mbp is NOT the best computer specifically for computer audio. but, it can serve admirably for audio playback. and do other things for you as well. it is also portable. so, you get more value for your money.

(h) a mbp has good re-sale value. if you want to venture into a CAPs set-up within 12 months, you can sell it and recover a decent percentage of your initial outlay.

suggesting this because you said your laptop, which you probably use for various purposes, is giving up the ghost. with a mbp, you get all the functionalities of a new portable personal computer as well as a music source. it can be replaced with a cheaper mac mini if you prefer.

like mac mini, mbp can be remotely controlled by VNC apps through wi-fi. apps are available from the apple store or play store (android).

(2) audirvana plus:

(a) one of the best players for the money for mac.

(b) sounds good and relatively user-friendly.

© more than enough settings to tweak for newbie computer audiophile.

options include jriver (added powerful functions for resampling + better for file management), amarra (arguably better sound but can be more expensive), miska’s HQ player (which many here have recommended for better sq, but may require more experience in settings for upscaling, etc), etc. by all means, explore and investigate for added satisfaction in the future.

(3) chord hugo:

(a) performance for money-wise, outstanding. regard it as my best audiophile purchase in 2014.

(b) transformative sound = try it and see (hear more).

© format compatibility = rather good with cd rips, also plays PCM and DSD high-res files well enough.

(d) multi-purpose = can be used with computers, your oppo player and portable media players including ipads, iphones and android devices.

(e) adaptable = 4 main input options for connection - HD USB, standard USB, coaxial and toslink (optical). which means most components purchased in the future can be conveniently plugged in.

(f) option to serve as pre-amp = direct connection to your power amps… but, no remote provided.

(g) comes with a complete set of cables = good to go immediately.

(h) apt-x bluetooth: option to stream music wirelessly.

killer attribute, imho, is bring along good music wherever you are:

(i) portability = small form factor, (relatively) light, runs on batteries for 8-ish hours. easily moved from primary to secondary systems in different rooms. charging cable also packs easily.

(j) also a reference headphone amp = may be used for a spot of listening in the garden/patio (with a digital source and headphones) without disturbing/offending the lady of the house and/or visitors. or, at your favourite coffee/tea shop with tablet/smartphone + earphones. also very nice when commuting/travelling.

the hugo sounds amazing, but as pointed out in other posts, it is NOT the best sounding DAC in the world. it is, however, a "well-rounded package” that out-performs its price category, and it redefines the roles/usability of a DAC component.

since it currently commands respect amongst enough audiophiles and head-fiers (headphone listeners), you should enjoy good re-sale value… should/when/if you decide to upgrade.

3 caveats on the hugo recommendation:

- some have said the iFi DSD mini/micro represents better value, but have not auditioned it.

- there is also the newly launched Aurender Flow, but listed specs indicate less connection options. have not auditioned it yet.

- rumours abound that hugo’s makers, Chord Electronics, will be announcing new products in Jan 2015.

bottom-line, investment value (in England, as listed online):

(1) macbook pro 13 = 999

(2) audirvana plus = 47

(3) chord hugo = 1,400

(4) toshiba 1TB external drive = 44

total: £2490.

for a nice sounding, convenient + portable start-up computer audiophile system that should integrate well with existing components. if your Oppo has a coaxial or toslink digital output, plugging in the DAC (between it and your amp) should upgrade CD audio playback as well.

workable = yes. reliable = yes. easy to use = yes. future growth/tweakery = yes.

and, you get a spiffy new laptop to suit your lifestyle.

for your kind consideration, sir.

Thank you, sir. I think, based on recommendations so far, that I will use the Burr-Brown DACs in the AVR and/or the Oppo's for now until I get the system up and running and learn the tweaks there. I know an outboard DAC will yield better results, but I'm not dissatisfied with sound now, just looking to streamline the input sources into a computer-based system and get it operational for now. Long term, I will be adding power ( can there ever be enough:) ) and tweaking the movie side of the equation as well. But what matters most now is the computer side of things. Laptop, iPad/desktop, media program and configuring for ease of use would be the focus. If I go with a laptop, I would want wireless streaming to the Oppo (the Yamaha doesn't do wireless). How reliable is that? It seems senseless to have a laptop instead of a desktop if I'm going to be using an iPad as a 'remote' anyway, but if I can stream wirelessly from a laptop, I'm ok with that. It would be in the same room since that's where I'll be listening from

dear english210,

sorry for misunderstanding your priorities.

am OSX user. following comments only on OSX options, been out-of-touch with Windows for years.

1) Mac >> Yamaha amp "should" work. one would need a mini-Toslink (Mac combo headphone output) >> Toslink cable (Yamaha input). go-ogle and you should see/find what you need. for set-up and connections, please see Yamaha product manual.

note that a review on RXA3010 states that it will process the following formats:

WAV, MP3, AAC and FLAC 24/96 (as per Detailed Review of Yamaha RX-A3010 Aventage Receiver - Blu-ray Forum).

no mention of ALAC (apple lossless), DSD. if CD rips are main priority, ripping to uncompressed WAV will do you fine. Jriver should work.

2) Mac >> Oppo: no experience with Oppo products. afaik, the audio input is HDMI. have not used HDMI for audio.

3) if no pressing need for a new laptop, Mac Mini is a cheaper option as a dedicated audio source with more potential for upgrades and tweaking. do note Mini and 13” MBP Retinas do not come with a built-in disc drive. you will need to buy a separate disc drive to rip CDs.

4) software player: Jriver to rip to WAV on Mac for compatibility with Yamaha amp DAC. by default, iTunes rips to AAC. this is a compressed format (smaller file, poorer sound quality). Mac can be set to rip to ALAC (lossless) format but ALAC is not listed as format supported by Yamaha amp’s DAC.

5) wireless: used a airport express >> apple TV set-up before. sound quality (SQ) is nowhere as good as wired. perhaps, Odyssey >> Aerial 7Ts deserve better. that said, all new Macs come with wi-fi and bluetooth modules. compatibility/reliability/SQ with Oppo would require “try-it-and-see” approach.

happy shopping and tweaking, sir.