IGNORED

iTunes + Pure Music + iPod classic

bengl3rt

Cross-post from head-fi...

I am very interested in using Pure Music to play HiRez DSD and FLAC files, while using iTunes in the way I've always used it to sort and organize music. I was wondering if anyone knows how tracks added to iTunes by Pure Music sync to an iPod classic, if at all? Obviously the iPod only supports WAV/AIFF/ALAC at a max of 16 bit 48kHz - but I am given to understand Pure Music works by creating a hybrid DSD/ALAC or FLAC/ALAC file for use with iTunes anyway? If this is the case, is iTunes smart enough to sync the ALAC part of the file only to a connected iPod classic?

I would love to start buying DSD music online for home listening, and then put ALAC versions of those files on my iPod classic for in the car and on the go. Is this something Pure Music could handle automatically for me?

For bonus points: What about iTunes Match? That doesn't support anything over 44.1KHz - again, would it pick up the ALAC "chunk" of the hybrid file created by Pure Music?

Aries Mini -> Audioquest Forest -> Musical Fidelity M6si -> Nordost White -> Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL tower

My understanding is that Pure Music will convert DSD on the fly if you don't have a DoP DSD DAC and need to send PCM.

Pure Music normally keeps a place holder of DSD and FLAC in the iTunes file that refers back to the folder/directory with the high res file.

Pure Music has a batch conversion process to convert high res files to other res so you can burn a CD. You could add these files and select from them to download to your iPod or iPhone and use the prefs in iTunes to set the resolution.

I don't know how Pure Music would treat the DSD or FLAC files in terms of conversion. I will check and add more comments. If in a hurry, call Channel-D, (Pure Music) they are friendly and want their customers to be happy. I have been using Korg Gateway software to convert all downloaded DSD, WAV and FLAC to AIFF format and keep both in my archive. King of overkill, but I am still comparing. So far DSD is best if native, AIFF is second, and AAC, FLAC, and WAV are in third. When playing up-sampled from memory in Pure Music to a ifi Nano DAC the differences are very subtle. Don't know if other DACs would illuminate more difference.

So Pure Music can create ALAC versions of my DSD files and FLAC files for me. Great. I guess what I was really asking was whether I need to manually manage multiple versions of each file/album, or whether Pure Music can handle transparently serving up an ALAC version to iTunes without having duplicate tracks appear in the user interface?

Aries Mini -> Audioquest Forest -> Musical Fidelity M6si -> Nordost White -> Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL tower

Direct from Channel D support:

Pure Music doesn't become involved in the iTunes synchronization process, so it doesn't have the opportunity to automatically create iOS - device compatible versions of the files. However, you should be able to use Rules to keep from synchronizing the Bookmark files, and you can create versions of FLAC and DSD files for your iOS device using Pure Music's Convert Audio Files... function (using either the Convert File Format or Sample Rate Converter options). However, this cannot be done on the fly (because iTunes isn't savvy to FLAC or DSD formats).

Darn. I really like the iPod classic and was hoping to continue using it as my portable player for a long time. Sounds like I would have to manage two versions of any hirez albums within iTunes if I was wanting to do that.

I think you pretty much got the issue. You can convert FLAC, DSD, AIFF files (you do it from folders) and to save space you only have place holder for the FLAC and DSD files in you iTunes library for playing locally. You can choose to convert to AIFF or AAC and you can keep resolution as is for PCM files, and then on all others PCM and DSD, you can choose your resolution.

If you just want the copy for your iPod classic, you could select 44.1/16, which would be right for burning a CD and then Apple iTunes would convert it for your iPod based on your choice of mp4a resolution… 128, 192, 256kbs which is handled by device on the Summary Page.

The way I keep multiple files straight is that I append album names with the following info:Vinyl, DSD, DSD>AIFF, FLAC>AIFF, etc. followed by the resolution 384/24, 192/24, 176/24, 96/24, etc. Default with no info is a CD at 44.1/16 in AIFF format. I don't store any low res 256kbs files except those I purchase off iTunes. Those are usually trials and if I like the album, I usually work to get a CD or vinyl that I eventually sample. By adding these supplement to the titles, I can make smart lists in iTunes that sort all this material out and make it easier to make selections for my iPod classic, iPhone, and my wires iPhone and iPad.

Now I feel like a librarian, but it works and lets me keep track of 35,000 songs from my collection, which will grow to about 50,000 when I finish ripping all the vinyl from my collection, which will take another year or two depending on how energetic I am.