IGNORED

New Pioneer Network player N-P01

marcb

Thanks Eloise for this quick answer. Any opinion about the Denon Heos Link (or Heos Amp) ? What about the sound quality (regarding to Sonos) ?

Pros: support for high res PCM and DSD; probably overall sound quality; versatility (for the amp); AirPlay support; built in display and control (no need to pick up phone/pad to alter volume or skip track)

Cons: the Sonos control app is probably superior; multi-room syncing simpler

Eloise

Oh, and also :

- About multi-room syncing, the speakers XW-SMAx series seem comparable to the Sonos Play:x, no ?

- About versatility, the N-P01 has to be compared to the Sonos Connect rather than the Connect:Amp. No ?

Regards,

Hugues

Pros: support for high res PCM and DSD; probably overall sound quality; versatility (for the amp); AirPlay support; built in display and control (no need to pick up phone/pad to alter volume or skip track)

Cons: the Sonos control app is probably superior; multi-room syncing simpler

Eloise

• 1 month later...

N-P01, avail. from late September, retail 399 EUR

I am *extremely* interested in this little device!!!

What a total bargain.. and look at the features.. Could this be the first DSD/24bit 192 streamer with Spotify connect and airplay all for about 500 USD!!!! total bargain.. The release of this little device is definitely worth following.. I think Pioneer are *Back*... :)

Some minor (and they are minor) deficiencies I can see are

1/ no DSD streaming via wifi

2/ No digital coax out..

3/ just spdif toslink to connect to a DAC (no USB) but these are minor...

..all this control and streaming choice.. sure it's not an Aires.. but you get an inbuilt DAC in this thing, it's backed by Pioneer and it's 500 bucks folks..!

This is a definite follow....

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

• 1 month later...

Why is everyone ignoring the Pioneer NP01?

Can someone tell me (other than the lack of Digital Coax)..why it doesn't tick all the boxes (and DYOR)

Value for money: tick

DSD: tick

IR remote: tick

24/192: tick

UPnP shares: ?tick

Spotify. Pandora?. Tidal?

Is there an app for control?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

i would not expect a Sabre32 chip inside at such a price of the N-P01 ...

Why is this a problem? It has digital out....

but on the other side there is a huge intersection between those who buy the Pioneer player and those who would subscribe to Spotify.

LOL... for 500 bucks I'm very much in that camp! Why be an audio snob (and pay all the money and not get the easy streaming features that Spotify brings?).. Ask yourself why *NOT* look at the Pionner!!!

Plugged into a different DAC my guess it will not be half bad... I am *very* tempted....

I've said it time and again. It's the (apparent lack of) music streaming features and what I'm following on this site (apparent difficulty setting up the A***s) that makes one ask the Q/ for 500 vs 1500 odd?? Why not the Pioneer"??

Why is everyone ignoring the Pioneer NP01?

Can someone tell me (other than the lack of Digital Coax)..why it doesn't tick all the boxes (and DYOR)

Value for money: tick

DSD: tick

IR remote: tick

24/192: tick

UPnP shares: ?tick

Spotify. Pandora?. Tidal?

Is there an app for control?

Spotify: Yes

Control app: Yes

Spotify: Yes

Control app: Yes

Pandora? Tidal?

The Pioneer N-50 is a great, high value, device. I used it only as a D2A (S/Pdif and USB) for nearly a year before sending it back to have the network card replaced (it arrived from Pioneer with an all-zero MAC address). Since its return, I have used it as a streamer and a renderer: Using it to pull from my NAS was somewhat underwhelming from a convenience perspective as the Pioneer app is very primitive and has none of the convenience of JRemote or Monkeymote. Using it as a renderer is quite satisfying. I can send to it using Jremote or Gizmo with no computer in the room. As a D2A it punches way above it's weight; definitely one of the most underrated devices I have used. It is well built and easily modified, too, as there is plenty of room to work with in the chassis. I have not tried its digital out as I don't anticipate it being outperformed by my M1DAC.

Edit: Link for the N-70A, in Europe:

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/newsroom/news/N-70A_N50A/page.html

• 2 months later...
LOL... for 500 bucks I'm very much in that camp! Why be an audio snob (and pay all the money and not get the easy streaming features that Spotify brings?).. Ask yourself why *NOT* look at the Pionner!!!

Plugged into a different DAC my guess it will not be half bad... I am *very* tempted....

I've said it time and again. It's the (apparent lack of) music streaming features and what I'm following on this site (apparent difficulty setting up the A***s) that makes one ask the Q/ for 500 vs 1500 odd?? Why not the Pioneer"??

Picked the n-p01 and xn-p02 dab today for a bargain £400,fantastic unit straight out the box easy to set up and DAC sounds great straight from my REGA amp, not compared it to my mdac yet but its not half bad, hires gapless straight from my NAS ,the app is pretty good and Spotify has never sounded so good, sold my sonos connect to help pay for it, one other advantage Spotify radio!Hooked up a small portable speaker to the headphone out from the pioneer amp to play the DAB radio until I pick up a small second set of speakers.

This device is *not* difficult to set up..

Trialling it now.. more later :)

OK.. putting some thoughts together on the N-P01...

First up this is incredibly good value for money.. it comes in well under $500 USD...

It is extremely simple to use and set up and does exactly what it is advertised to do very well..

Think of this player as a really good value for money CD transport replacement. Because that is exactly how it operates. There is no volume control: just fixed line output via RCA and Toslink. It's uncomplicated. You plug it into your preamp and away you go..

It has an uncomplicated GUI as well and dedicated source buttons on the remote that can select the streaming source be it Bluetooth/Spotify/Internet Radio/ipod&usb/NAS UPnP server/ and there is a "favourites".. There is Airplay compliance as well: but I haven't tested this. I don't tend to use Airplay. It was Spotify that I was interested in with this player.

The whole player can also be setup easily by browsing onto the players IP address.. I love this feature in networkable players..it saves stuffying around on the players GUI with an IR remote etc..

Same for the purpose written Pioneer Controlapp. Easy to set up and the player was found in the app straight away..

The really impressive thing about this streamer is the Spotify Connect integration. I just love how there is no input change required on the actual player itself... the player just appears in Spotify as a source and no matter what input it's been on before, once you select to stream to Spotify within the Spotify app: presto out comes your Spotify music on the Pioneer.. this is extremely useful and will allow me to use the NP-01 in my audio multiroom rack as a dedicated Spotify Connect end point..This feature ALONE justifies the price to me..

Onto DSD streaming..the other feature I purchased this player for.

I've tried DSD streaming on various other devices including an Oppo 105 as well. The NP-01 worked very well. Buffering is fine. So far I have not had one drop out or glitch. I'm using fixed wired ethernet as the manual confirms there is no DSD streaming via wifi. Not a big deal for me as I have structured wiring everywhere..

The NP-01 only handles 1XDSD which is perfectly fine for me. I have no intention of going higher. Of course the no. one thing everyone wants is gapless DSD streaming.. and AFAIK it is not gapless.. (right now).. because I'm led to believe this player along with all the other Pioneer DSD capable streamers will get gapless in a coming firmware release..

Next the sound. It's very good. Way good enough for me.. IS it better than a Lumin or an Aires?. No idea. Don't care.. this streamer is under 500 folks!!!! The sound is pretty darn good for under $500!!!! I like the price.. if nothing comes of gapless DSD on this player and/or I can't get a proper UPnP renderer on OSX and Ios to work..then no problem... At under $500.. I will easily be able to move this player on ebay, and get most of my capital back without a financial disaster.. This I believe is an extremely important issue in our hobby!!! :)

Ok. Another little thing I'd like in an upcoming firmware release is the ability to play DSD packaged DoP Wave files using Minimserver's fabulous software trick out via RCA on this player. It passes these files no problem out via Toslink to my Invicata DAC (which can handle them) but does not play them as DSD itself. Not a big thing: but it would save me a lot of hassle...

So my overall assessment so far: extremely positive.

a 9/10..

Have I mentioned how good the Spotify Connect integration is on the NP-01? Wait. I have. But let me mention it again hahaha. Guess what? It's AWESOME!

With the above mentioned fixes on firmware and a proper UPnP Pioneer Controlapp it would be a 10/10

Ok.. maybe a 9.95.. (with Pandora and a few other services like Tidal built in) it would be a 10 hehe

Wap..

^ I am going to put a copy of this into a new thread: because the NO-01 is really a dedicated network streamer. In the pure sense of the word..