IGNORED

Best Sound Card with S/PDIF

in a mixing or routing situation, multi channel audio mixing console... or just a desktop soundcard?

Which OS?

What level of noise can you bear?

Is jitter a concern?

Perhaps venture to a firewire solution like a Weiss, or USB asyncronous, Wavelength Audio, it's a more direct approach than all hoops and converters. In cases like these you don't need a sound card at all. Simple.

Cheers,

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I am running a dedicated XP machine into a Meridian G68ADV into Meridian DSP5500 speakers. Both the processor and the speakers handle up to 24-bit/96kHz. I do not want to use an external DAC as that would necessitate purchasing not only a new DAC, but a two-channel preamplifier, amplifier and analog speakers. Hence, I am looking for the best soundcard with S/PDIF output. I cannot use the onboard soundcard, which uses Realtek HD software, for high resolution audio files because it outputs only 44.1, 48, 96 and 192 - no 88.2. I certainly don't want to resample 88.2 to 96.

Some sugestions...

ESI [email protected] or Maya 44 - PCI ersion of the Maya is also available. Also the SPDIF connectors are on a mini-din breakout cable.

EMu 1010 - though sample rate apparently has to be changed manually.

Asus Xonar (think it's D2X model) - currently being reviewed by Chris Connaker.

The PCI cards retail for aroud £100-150 the FireWire solutions (below) around £300. All do upto 24/192 except ESI Maya and very similar quality.

Other alternatives would be something like the TC Konnect 8 via FireWire or BelCanto USB link. Or you could use the AES16 with a passive converter to connect into the SPDIF on the Meridian.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I've just copied an pasted this from another thread...

Yes I plan to convert as safe as possible from AES to SPDIF. Audio_ELF has posted that the Lynxs website says not to due this, but I actually spoke to then a few months back and they said no problem with the Canera inline adapter. I looked around for the Canera inline adapter and really dont care for it. I like as most of you know the passive Proaudio inline adapter. Its the XLR female with level adjustment 0,5 Vss / 75 ohms (SPDIF), model SAP XF BF: Ill source this as well.

http://proaudio.uk.com/prod_dip.htm

I've never read of anyone using the adaptors but in theory should work. As I say - Chris is reviewing the Xonar card so may be worth waiting as I know he also has experience with the AES16 so should be able to compare sound quality into his Berkeley DAC (hint, hint).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.