IGNORED

Best sounding "Kind of Blue"

Wow. He thinks they are different? That would create a problem.

Only for his credibility.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Only for his credibility.

Needless, the samples on either site sound so different (e.g. the way the cymbals are balanced in the mix), it it's hard to believe they're even taken (down sampled) from the respective downloads. The DSD does sound differently pitched (as such indeed reminiscent of the SACD, although nothing like the earlier, wrongly pitched remasterings). Not very helpful to prospective buyers…

Needless, the samples on either site sound so different (e.g. the way the cymbals are balanced in the mix), it it's hard to believe they're even taken (down sampled) from the respective downloads. The DSD does sound differently pitched (as such indeed reminiscent of the SACD, although nothing like the earlier, wrongly pitched remasterings). Not very helpful to prospective buyers…

Well the DSD is truly a different master, but are you saying the 24/192 PCMs aren't identical?

Neither site uses actual hires in the ssmples-they use mp3, so that means nothing. And again the two sites published identical provenance for them. The hires vendors generally buy material they dont produce from distributors, so assuming the files aren't identical strains credulity. Give us an actual reason to think they might be from a different source, if thats what you think.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Well the DSD is truly a different master, but are you saying the 24/192 PCMs aren't identical?

and:

Neither site uses actual hires in the ssmples-they use mp3, so that means nothing. And again the two sites published identical provenance for them. The hires vendors generally buy material they dont produce from distributors, so assuming the files aren't identical strains credulity. Give us an actual reason to think they might be from a different source, if thats what you think.

I'm not claiming anything whatsoever - the TAS article linked further above does. I merely noticed the sound samples the respective sites offer are of little to no help to prospective buyers (even apart from the fact that every single one of them sounds different.)

@firedog: if you read my post you'll notice I'm referring to the very fact that the samples aren't hirez - that wouldn't preclude using one's own MP3s down-sampled from the file on offer, instead it remains questionable whether the sound samples have any direct relation to the respective high-res file (other than a reminder which Miles Davis album/track is being referrerd to).

Well, dadgummit! I bought both the HD Tracks and the SuperHiRez 24/192 downloads, based entirely on that TAS review. I can't decide whether to spend an evening desperately listening for differences or just making myself a martini and being thankful that one (or both) of these nice recordings exists.

LOL! Enjoy your Martini, then compare and let us know - and have another one! ;) Cheers!

Well, dadgummit! I bought both the HD Tracks and the SuperHiRez 24/192 downloads, based entirely on that TAS review. I can't decide whether to spend an evening desperately listening for differences or just making myself a martini and being thankful that one (or both) of these nice recordings exists.

Think it would be easier and more definitive to see if they are bit perfect copies of each other. Not exactly sure how to do that but I've seen people talk about it.

I use the DR measurement plugin in Foobar to make a quick comparison between files which I suspect to have the same mastering. If the dB values of the tracks are all identical, it's extremely unlikely that they come from a different mastering session.

The file sizes can however be different, depending on the setting of the lossless compression codec used.

Claude

• 5 weeks later...

sorry if I'm repeating common knowledge, but I've just seen Kind of Blue (mono) at 192/24 for sale at the Pono store for $9.99.

I think that's a very good deal.

Can Pono Store downloads play on other players than Pono ?

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

Hey thanks for the tip, that is a great deal, I almost bought it right now, but I have the DSD, and stereo 24/192 versions so I resisted the temptation, hard as that may be. I do know many think the mono tops the stereo version of the 24/192 mastering.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Hey thanks for the tip, that is a great deal, I almost bought it right now, but I have the DSD, and stereo 24/192 versions so I resisted the temptation, hard as that may be. I do know many think the mono tops the stereo version of the 24/192 mastering.

If it makes you feel any better, I heard the mono and decided it wasn't worth adding to the stereo DSD and 24/192 versions I have, at least in terms of spending money on it. Of course, if I didn't have a hi-res version, I'd jump on it in a second.