IGNORED

DSD DAC IN PIONEER RECIEVERS QUestions

I started off with a dragonfly, and i could hear a HUGE difference vs just PC audio out, and I was sold.

I then got the audiogate software and upconverted files to 256K and there i again got a big upgrade...it was the best i have heard and didn't think it was possible to get any better.

After hearing good reviews on the SONY DSD, I then bought it (i think it was ha-1 or ud-1 or something like that), and it sounded good, but i really couldn't say that it sounded any better than just running audiogate software directly from my dragonfly out to my reciever so i sent the sony back to get my $800+ back.

I then got HDMI out my pc working to a reciever and it sounds great too (via audiogate), but I know it's not true DSD.

So now I am in the market for a reciever with HDMI DSD....I am just curious if these new cheap external dsd dacs (e.g. ifi nano) have any advantage over a midrange reciever "BESIDES" the perception that HDMI has wow and flutter, and the usb is better medium than hdmi. Is there any features I lose getting one of the DSD Recievers vs the inexpensive external dsd dacs?

Please no comments about USB > HDMI...i have heard that before.

I just want to know if i would lose any features using the embedded DSD dac (that supports DSD over HDMI) in the Pioneer receiver vs an external cheap dsd dac.

So now I am in the market for a reciever with HDMI DSD....I am just curious if these new cheap external dsd dacs (e.g. ifi nano) have any advantage over a midrange reciever "BESIDES" the perception that HDMI has wow and flutter, and the usb is better medium than hdmi. Is there any features I lose getting one of the DSD Recievers vs the inexpensive external dsd dacs?

Please no comments about USB > HDMI...i have heard that before.

I just want to know if i would lose any features using the embedded DSD dac (that supports DSD over HDMI) in the Pioneer receiver vs an external cheap dsd dac.

Mike ... while several receivers can ACCEPT DSD via HDMI; as far as I have been able to find there is no way of outputting DSD via HDMI from a computer (excluding via networking to something like the Oppo 105).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.