IGNORED

Computers good for hifi in general?

No

Your observations may be correct, but I doubt the causation.

From what I see among young people, the spending has shifted from buying muisc to paying for cell phones and plans ...

Home: Apple Macbook Pro 17" --Mini-Toslink--> Cambridge Audio DacMagic --XLR--> 2x Genelec 8020B

Work: Apple Macbook Pro 15" --USB--> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 --1/4\"--> Superlux HD668B / 2x Genelec 6010A

Your observations may be correct, but I doubt the causation.

From what I see among young people, the spending has shifted from buying muisc to paying for cell phones and plans ...

My 16 yr old son and his friends spend at least as much on music as I did when I was their age. The thing they are balking at is $25 an album for vinyl and I don't blame them.

They will NOT spend that on a high res download, period.

David

Exactly. The one that really stands out is the 30 BILLION songs that were illegally downloaded. That against the then staggering number of songs purchased legally on iTunes as of Feb 2013 of 25 BILLION! No wonder artists are making noise in congress. What a mess.

Numbers for illegal downloads from the music industry impress me as being very similar to "street value" numbers from the police and DEA for illegal drug seizures. All the incentive is to exaggerate and there is no one with a particular interest in collecting accurate statistics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Exactly. The one that really stands out is the 30 BILLION songs that were illegally downloaded. That against the then staggering number of songs purchased legally on iTunes as of Feb 2013 of 25 BILLION! No wonder artists are making noise in congress. What a mess.

If the recording industry and artists STOPPED selling music either physically or through download, the piracy ends for current and future releases. It won't cure the problem of existing media sharing, but it's a start. Have a quality, reliable pay streaming service in place before hand and most if not all will make the transition without a fuss.

As long as ownership of recorded music exists, sharing will continue. There will always be a market for encryption development.....and cracking right behind it.

Now the only consumer I see having a problem with this are audiophiles wanting HiDef content and the shrinking minority of those who don't have either internet access at home or cellular devices so streaming access would be problematic.

Now the only consumer I see having a problem with this are audiophiles wanting HiDef content and the shrinking minority of those who don't have either internet access at home or cellular devices so streaming access would be problematic.

If that suits you, then fine. However it doesn't suit many who have favourite albums that they play regularly.

Your model is playing into the hands of big business who can increase fees any time they like, and dictate what will be provided by them, most likely at the expense of the artists themselves, who either agree with the pittance offered to them, or be denied access to the subscription service. Why the hell should I need Internet access which is getting slooooower and sloooower Internationally with every succeeding day,due to insufficient forward planning, to play my favourite music, and pay another fee each time I play it ? Only a few days back, the Internet virtually ground to a halt in many areas due to pure and simple overload ! It doesn't look like improving any time soon either.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/11030725/How-an-arbitrary-number-broke-the-internet-yesterday.html

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Enjoy the albums you already own Alex until the Apocalypse comes!

Let's hope that due to Web congestion, your songs from " The Cloud" don't end up suffering the same problems of stalling and playing catch up during play as Vevo and YouTube videos often do !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Numbers for illegal downloads from the music industry impress me as being very similar to "street value" numbers from the police and DEA for illegal drug seizures. All the incentive is to exaggerate and there is no one with a particular interest in collecting accurate statistics.

What would you say the percentage of those numbers would be in reality then, 50%?

60%? 70%?

David

What would you say the percentage of those numbers would be in reality then, 50%?

60%? 70%?

In the absence of reliable actuarial data on illegal downloads, *any* estimate is no better than a guess. What would be interesting is finding out how the 30 billion figure originated.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

In the absence of reliable actuarial data on illegal downloads, *any* estimate is no better than a guess. What would be interesting is finding out how the 30 billion figure originated.

It appears that the numbers are based on relatively early data collected from several years before iTunes downloads became the most popular legal method of obtaining music in the USA. Numbers of individuals engaging in illegal downloading are estimated (one of the popular bases of the estimates is a survey of 500 US college students from the early 2000s), then used to obtain a multiplier of *legal* downloads, resulting in the estimate of illegal download numbers worldwide. Thus as *legal* downloads, primarily through iTunes, became more popular, the estimates of *illegal* download numbers rose accordingly. To put it another way: First, an estimate of numbers of people engaging in illegal downloading was derived from an era before legal alternatives had become dominant. Then this estimate was used to obtain a number for illegal downloads that *increased* as legal downloads became more popular, rather than taking account of the possibility that cheap and easy legal downloads might decrease illegal downloading activity.

It appears that the numbers are based on relatively early data collected from several years before iTunes downloads became the most popular legal method of obtaining music in the USA. Numbers of individuals engaging in illegal downloading are estimated (one of the popular bases of the estimates is a survey of 500 US college students from the early 2000s), then used to obtain a multiplier of *legal* downloads, resulting in the estimate of illegal download numbers worldwide. Thus as *legal* downloads, primarily through iTunes, became more popular, the estimates of *illegal* download numbers rose accordingly. To put it another way: First, an estimate of numbers of people engaging in illegal downloading was derived from an era before legal alternatives had become dominant. Then this estimate was used to obtain a number for illegal downloads that *increased* as legal downloads became more popular, rather than taking account of the possibility that cheap and easy legal downloads might decrease illegal downloading activity.

Got it.

David

Those numbers were from the RIAA. The IFPI states:

The group estimated that 40 billion tracks were shared illegally last year (2008), or an average of almost 30 songs for every internet user worldwide.

Both are industry numbers, so the accuracy should be questioned. Maybe a better analogy would be to compare digital music downloads to EBooks. We had a bunch of niche book stores in town and now they are all closed. Now there are places like Amazon that can dictate prices and distribution. Good for the consumer, bad for the publishers, authors, and death to brick and mortar.

Like Napster in 1999 there are sites that host pirated book downloads with take down notices being issued. Regardless of the numbers it must hurt EBook sales in some way.

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

Those number were from the RIAA. The IFPI states:

The group estimated that 40 billion tracks were shared illegally last year (2008), or an average of almost 30 songs for every internet user worldwide.

Both are industry numbers, so the accuracy should be in questioned. Maybe a better analogy would be to compare digital music downloads to EBooks. We had a bunch of niche book stores in town and now they are all closed. Now there are places like Amazon that can dictate prices and distribution. Good for the consumer, bad for the publishers, authors, and death to brick and mortar.

Like Napster was in 1999 there are sites that host pirated book downloads with take down notices being issued. Regardless of the numbers it must hurt EBook sales in some way.

I imagine illegal downloads do hurt sales in some way, perhaps to a greater extent in countries where $1 per song for purchase, or $10-$20 per month for streaming, means more than it seems to in the US, but where use of the Internet from home is still ubiquitous. The extent to which illegal downloads cut into sales of the legal variety is called the "substitution rate," and to say estimates on this are all over the lot is an understatement. I have seen estimates ranging from 0.7% in one academic study to figures from 20% up to as high as 65% in industry-funded papers.

They absolutely do hurt sales. But think of the profits that could come from merchandise, concerts, and everything else surrounding the culture of a fantastic artist that may not of received the fame and fanbase without free and open sharing. In a way our culture has adapted to this by providing free non-piracy on-demand alternatives such as spotify and grooveshark. Or even youtube for music videos.. Which are all accessible by using a computer. You get a good setup and convenient operation of media features, and you're set.

Not only that Jud, but it's a mistake to equate illegal downloads to lost sales on a 1-to-1 basis. A "mistake" that the music industry will never stop making. If that content were not freely available on the internet, a lot of people would simply do without a large percentage of it.

It's surely my advancing age talking here, but I don't hear as much new music that's worth shelling out $15 (or more) for as I used to.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

It's surely my advancing age talking here, but I don't hear as much new music that's worth shelling out $15 (or more) for as I used to.

I can certainly equate to that. Most of my purchases are for songs which are a good 30+yrs old.

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

Not only that Jud, but it's a mistake to equate illegal downloads to lost sales on a 1-to-1 basis. A "mistake" that the music industry will never stop making. If that content were not freely available on the internet, a lot of people would simply do without a large percentage of it.

See my later comment in this thread on "substitution rate."