IGNORED

maybe a dumb question re: power supply for my ZUMA

I apologize for the newbie question but I have never built a PC before.

I recently purchased a used CAPS Zuma which came with this 24 pin ATX power supply:

picoPSU-150-XT with 102 power kit

I currently have a Keces 19V linear power supply that I want to use so I was planning on buying this wide input 20 pin power supply:

PicoPSU-120-WI-25 12-25V DC-DC ATX power supply

By the description the wide input power supply will work with both 20 pin and 24 pin connectors.

Aside from fitting into the ATX connector I noticed there are different leads between the two power supplies.

So will this work?? I would hate to fry my newly purchased Zuma!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Sorry for the bump but would love to know if I can use this Wide Input pico power supply in my Zuma. Thank you.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Both will work OK with Zuma Mobo.

The only problem I had in the past with lots of changing and building was plugging a 19v supply into the 12v Pico which blew the Mobo....gotta be prepared for some hits along the way but that was a foolish one on my part!!

Not sure what you mean by "different leads between the two power supplies"

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

Both will work OK with Zuma Mobo.

The only problem I had in the past with lots of changing and building was plugging a 19v supply into the 12v Pico which blew the Mobo....gotta be prepared for some hits along the way but that was a foolish one on my part!!

Not sure what you mean by "different leads between the two power supplies"

Thank you sligolad! So I can plug the 20 pin 19V power supply into the 24 pin connector of my mobo? By the way, the mobo is a Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H.

What I mean by the different leads is that from the power supply each 1 different cable and connector aside from the standard ones for DC input, SATA, etc. The 12V one has a 4 pin AUX and the 19V one has a differently shaped 4 pin one.

Other components:

Thank you sligolad! So I can plug the 20 pin 19V power supply into the 24 pin connector of my mobo? By the way, the mobo is a Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H.

What I mean by the different leads is that from the power supply each 1 different cable and connector aside from the standard ones for DC input, SATA, etc. The 12V one has a 4 pin AUX and the 19V one has a differently shaped 4 pin one.

Pico supplies come in two flavors: 12V only input which directly passes the 12V on to the computer, it has a switching dc-dc converter for the 5V and 3.3V outputs. The other flavor is called a wide range input, it uses a 12V dc-dc converter for the 12V output as well as the other two.

Thus if you are feeding it 19V you must use the wide range input type, if you use the other type you will be feeding 19V directly to the motherboard, which could fry it. When choosing a Pico supply, read the specs very carefully, if it says 12V only input, don't use it with 19V!

John S.

Next step....out with Pico's altogether :-))

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

Tommy:

Received your PMs.

Do keep that 12V PicoPSU on hand for when you upgrade your LPS :). Using the wide-range one with its 19V>12V DC>DC converters somewhat defeats the point of a linear PS for the main portion of your motherboard.

Ciao,

--Alex C.

In what way? There are a lot of variables involved and in some cases a good 19v linear (Hynes etc.) and wide range pico or PPA pico might be preferred to a 12v linear and xt150/160 even though it is an additional dc to dc conversion.

In what way? There are a lot of variables involved and in some cases a good 19v linear (Hynes etc.) and wide range pico or PPA pico might be preferred to a 12v linear and xt150/160 even though it is an additional dc to dc conversion.

All things being equal: Same design 12V versus same design 19V--I'd rather get rid of the 19V>12V DC>DC converter. Do you not agree?

Besides, I was somewhat kidding with tbooe as he is considering a purchase of our dual-rail, choke-filtered, LPS for his CAPS. Our JS-2 has user selectable outputs of 5,7,9, and 12V--so he would need that 12V PicoPSU to use with it.

Besides, I was somewhat kidding with tbooe as he is considering a purchase of our dual-rail, choke-filtered, LPS for his CAPS.

Correction....I WILL be purchasing!!! :)

Other components:

Seems like a great product. I would be getting one too, If I wasn't heading towards a new build using a server MoBo with full ATX PSU.

Superdad, pls consider next time building a full spec ATX linear supply ! Then we could finaly get rid of the DC/DC converters (at least most of them, since RAM has an additional, 1,35V DC/DC converter anyway) on our way to computer audio nirvana !

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

All things being equal: Same design 12V versus same design 19V--I'd rather get rid of the 19V>12V DC>DC converter. Do you not agree?

Besides, I was somewhat kidding with tbooe as he is considering a purchase of our dual-rail, choke-filtered, LPS for his CAPS. Our JS-2 has user selectable outputs of 5,7,9, and 12V--so he would need that 12V PicoPSU to use with it.

I wouldn't necessarily agree - it depends. The 12v picoPSU is slightly better than the wide input version but there isn't much in it so if your lpsu is 12v that is fine. However, there are other (maybe higher quality) atx dc dc converters such as the HDPlex which needs 19v and has a CE approved 19v linear psu as well. Pang prefers higher voltage and less amps in his tests even with the extra 19v to 12v dc conversion.

Your product looks great will it be going through CE approval?

Seems like a great product. I would be getting one too, If I wasn't heading towards a new build using a server MoBo with full ATX PSU.

Superdad, pls consider next time building a full spec ATX linear supply ! Then we could finaly get rid of the DC/DC converters (at least most of them, since RAM has an additional, 1,35V DC/DC converter anyway) on our way to computer audio nirvana !

Full ATX linear PSUs aren't trivial to design - that's why they tend to be very expensive and even then would you get a return on investment?

You need a large case (I think some of the OrigenAE ones are nice, I've had quality issues with Fractal but the one you linked to in another thread looked nice as well) or a separate solution which can be messy and there are also plenty of other dc to dc switchers on the motherboard but if you like a case and can afford the atx linear it eliminates the atx dc conversion which can only be good.