IGNORED

Mac Mini Music Server Took A Dump...

Was using a Mac Mini as a headless server with 2 internal SSDs (boot/library). Mac Mini isn't working and all troubleshooting has failed, so I'm leaving it behind and forging ahead.

Looking for the least headache option. I could get the cheapest MacBook Air or MacBook Pro, use it's 128gb stock drive as boot and put my library SSD in an enclosure. Can't seem to think I'd find a cheaper/easier solution.

But out the only thing I'm not thrilled about is the enclosure i have is USB, and I'm already using USB for DAC to computer. Is it really a deal breaker from a sound or performance perspective? Thunderbolt enclosures are just too expensive.

any ideas?

Was using a Mac Mini as a headless server with 2 internal SSDs (boot/library). Mac Mini isn't working and all troubleshooting has failed, so I'm leaving it behind and forging ahead.

Looking for the least headache option. I could get the cheapest MacBook Air or MacBook Pro, use it's 128gb stock drive as boot and put my library SSD in an enclosure. Can't seem to think I'd find a cheaper/easier solution.

But out the only thing I'm not thrilled about is the enclosure i have is USB, and I'm already using USB for DAC to computer. Is it really a deal breaker from a sound or performance perspective? Thunderbolt enclosures are just too expensive.

any ideas?

Buy a FireWire 800 enclosure kit from Other World Computing for about $60. Then buy a used, non-Retina MacBook Pro that has the FireWire connectivity and the built-in CD/DVD drive, upgrade the RAM to 8GB, and you'd be all set for well under a grand, plus the laptop would have its own HDD that you can use, or keep as a 2nd backup with another external enclosure kit.

Alternatively, you could get the current Mac of your choice, a FireWire enclosure for the library SSD, and a Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter.

Somewhat more expensive than wwaldmanfan's solution, but you get a new Mac with a warranty.

In addition to OWC, Newegg is another good source for drive enclosures.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I assume you have done a complete wipe and reinstallation of the OS?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Excellent point. If Eloise's approach is inapplicable or unsuccessful, before making any new purchases, it's probably worth shlepping the mini to the nearest Apple Store (assuming there's one within easy striking distance) and seeing how much it would cost to fix it.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5