IGNORED

From the NYT: The Brazilian Bus Magnate Who’s Buying Up All the World’s Vinyl Records

Just for music:Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 60GB SSD, 16GB RAM (Mid 2011) OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 > WD NAS 6TB > Audirvana+>Roon Server > HQPlayer >iPad for Roon Remote> Teac UD-503 DAC > Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Cambridge Audio Azur 840A > Polk LSi 15 > DIY Speaker Cables.

So insane I admire him. But I hope he stores them properly and devotes more resources to cataloging them. Ohterwise they will eventually be lost. Many need to be digitized, too.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Great story. Reminds me of a comedy riff by standup comic Robert Klein about a fictional late night ad touting "every record ever recorded...a truck backs up to your door." Seriously though, the man is sitting on a priceless multicultural archive. He should have a trust set up that funds the eventual hi res digitization of the entire collection. Hopefully, they're not digitizing as mp3's! Then they could be put on servers available to be accessed around the world for streaming, with access fees funding further vinyl purchases and digitization work.

Esau

Very cool article.

I bought plenty of 45's as a kid, but the first LP I ever bought was "Rubber Soul", in mono, of course. I think 'Another Side of Bob Dylan" was probably the second. The last LP I bought before going full-digital was "Oranges and Lemons" by XTC.

I had this one, which was mentioned specifically in the NYT article, and happens to be one of their best albums. Still have it on CD.

cover.jpg

I ultimately sold my Thorens TD160MkII to someone in Alaska on ebay, and, by coincidence, my spare Audio Technica cartridge to a guy in Brazil, who wanted it desperately, for some reason.