IGNORED

DSD-only with PCM conversion

I have Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC using foobar 2000 playback all 16/44.1pcm files are up sampled to DSD128 and I feel it is a big improvement in SQ music just is more real to me.

As I have never really like the CD format sound from it's start DSD128 up sampling is a god send.

LinnLP12SE/SoleVIIIsubchassis/MoberDCsystempowersupply/Tranquility/Trampolin2/RoksanNima Unipivot+sKale/ZYX R50 Bloom3 L/Whest PS30R phono stage/ Cambridge Audio Azur 851A/Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC Firewire Audio Interface/Mytek Stereo192 ADC /TASCAM DA-3000 DSD Recorder/PCaudiolabs ROKbox MC7xs DAW[br]

It works extremely well for me.

I like the sound sound of it so much that I bought a DAC that only does DSD (LampizatOr DSD DAC), even though like most people, the vast majority of my collection is PCM.

I use JRiver to send everything to it in DSD128. The sound is fantastic.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

I have a Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server in my home office. It has the ability to upsample PCM files to DSD128 - or not - via a toggle.

In my listening, I prefer the PCM files with the DSD128 upsampling on. A nice improvement.

And you also get native playback of DSD64 and DSD128 files with the Sony HAP server, which sound even better than upsampled PCM.

A win all the way around. :)

After hearing what JRMC 19 could do to the SQ going from PCM to DSD, I bought an Exasound E20.

After trying JRMC 19, Foobar+SACD and then HQ Player, I find HQ Player converting PCM to DSD 256 so enjoyable, and so realistic, I can not listen to PCM any other way

the learning curve on HQ Player is steep, but I am rewarded each time the music starts !

Foobar + SACD is free, with the SQ pretty much in between HQP and JRMC 19

i am coming to suspect how each software player sounds is somewhat DAC dependant and playback computer dependant

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Have you tried comparing the sound of an offline converted DSD file?

Congrats on being a Lampizator owner. Legendary stuff.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

OK I'm getting excited. I have a Wavelength Proton but I went looking for something more. I got a Hugo but I don't like the sound. Then I got a NOS Red Wine Audio Isabellina and I do like the sound so I got interested in NOS. Now I'm considering the Wavelength Brick v2 NOS. What kind of sound do you get resampling PCM to DSD? Is it more Hugo-like or more NOS-like?

Is there a good DSD DAC under $3K with DC input so I can connect a Red Wine Audio Black Lightning battery supply? It looks like the Exasound E20 has 12VDC input. Any others?

Anybody know if mpd can resample PCM to DSD?

I’ve been having the JRiver converting everything to DSD and playing it through a Schitt Loki for several months now. The Loki only plays DSD64. But, I think it sound good, much better than one would think a $149 DAC should, although I would be interested in hearing what others think. There has been some discussion on the web how the cables some audiophiles are using with this little unit are costing many times more than the cost of this little DAC.

For an offline converter, if you have a Mac, DSD Master from BitPerfect sounds like it might do a good conversion, but I have yet to try it.

That sounds interesting. Do some say offline conversion sounds better? Does anyone know of a Linux program that can make that conversion?

It does in my current system.

I don't know of a Linux version, but you can try some of the Win software through WINE.

I am using Korg Audiogate v2.x on Mac OS X.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I’ve been having the JRiver converting everything to DSD and playing it through a Schitt Loki for several months now. The Loki only plays DSD64. But, I think it sound good, much better than one would think a $149 DAC should, although I would be interested in hearing what others think.

For an offline converter, if you have a Mac, DSD Master from BitPerfect sounds like it might do a good conversion, but I have yet to try it.

I would hate to have only DSD64 when DSD128 sounds like the sweet spot in my system, at least on output (for recordings, if I can get even higher, that would great, but for now this is too rare).

The iFi iDSD Nano does up to DSD256 natively and has fantastic sound even with PCM, which it does to DXD rate.

AS mentioned, I use Korg Audiogate v2.x for conversion.

I’ve been having the JRiver converting everything to DSD and playing it through a Schitt Loki for several months now. The Loki only plays DSD64. But, I think it sound good, much better than one would think a $149 DAC should, although I would be interested in hearing what others think.

This is how I listen to music in my office and I totally agree about the quality of the Loki.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Oh man..time for me to try converting PCM to DSD!!! Oh wait, I need to get an DSD dac first. Damn...gotta start saving my pennies.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Oh man..time for me to try converting PCM to DSD!!! Oh wait, I need to get an DSD dac first. Damn...gotta start saving my pennies.

Fortunately, there are a lot of really inexpensive options these days.

This is how I listen to music in my office and I totally agree about the quality of the Loki.

I also have a Loki that I use for backup/secondary purposes. It was my trail run for seeing how JRiver & DSD upsampling would sound and whether it would operate smoothly (on my system). I agree that the Loki punches far above its weight, but it seems that it's been superseded by the iFi Nano & (especially) the iFi Micro, for those looking for premium sound at a lower cost.

Fortunately, there are a lot of really inexpensive options these days.

The performance you can get for so little money is shocking these days.

I think universal DSD upsampling is a major advance that greatly improves sound quality at both the lower and higher (cost) ends of the spectrum.

It's really interesting that Berkeley has introduced a $14k PCM only DAC and that Chris is very excited about it. It would have to be magical indeed to sound better than what I'm getting from upsampled DSD128 into my Lampizator DSD DAC/Preamp.

These are exciting times to be a (computer) audiophile!

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

I agree that the Loki punches far above its weight, but it seems that it's been superseded by the iFi Nano & (especially) the iFi Micro, for those looking for premium sound at a lower cost.

Agreed. The Loki is probably about right though for the speakers I have in my office.

I have Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC using foobar 2000 playback all 16/44.1pcm files are up sampled to DSD128 and I feel it is a big improvement in SQ music just is more real to me.

As I have never really like the CD format sound from it's start DSD128 up sampling is a god send.

I have best results in Foobar2000 when I combine upsampling 44100 to 352800 (using SoX DSP plugin) with Maxim's SACD plugin & ASIO proxy. DSP plugins are applied before the PCM to DSD conversion.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Foobar + SACD is free, with the SQ pretty much in between HQP and JRMC 19

I suggest you to try the Foobar2000 soultion (foo_dsd_asio) in JRiver and compare it with JRiver internal soultion.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/price-ess9018-containaing-digital-analogue-converter-dropping-fast-16986/index2.html#post335732

Maxim V. Anisiutkins' ASIO proxy 0.7.1.2 Download Super Audio CD Decoder from SourceForge.net

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500