IGNORED

Looking for cd player and usb dac in one machine!

Hi guys.

after toying around with the Hegel hd2 (which i loved) and the Geekout as dac in my system its time for me to move on to more serious dacs.. now, i have a serious CD collection which i never listen to because i dont have a cd player so i thought its time to get a propper CD TRANSPORT..

so which unit has both (similair to the EAR ACUTE) for up to 1000$ ?

i saw the Teac CD-3000 but its a bit too expensive and i dont think i can listen to it localy. the music hall 15.3 cd player also has USB input but alas it is not available localy as well..

any other recomendations? tube output would be a big plus as well!

Oppo BDP-105D

Around $1250 but far beyond anything in the price class, terrific SQ with no weaknesses.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Oppo BDP-105D

Around $1250 but far beyond anything in the price class, terrific SQ with no weaknesses.

Great suggestion I will do it myself when funds allow. My wife is still very much a CD person...

Another recommendation is to use a Rega as a transport.

If you audition one, make sure you also audition the new Saturn-R that could be a nice integrated solution...

Great suggestion I will do it myself when funds allow. My wife is still very much a CD person...

Another recommendation is to use a Rega as a transport.

If you audition one, make sure you also audition the new Saturn-R that could be a nice integrated solution...

Have you ever shown a well implemented iPad remote computer based system to your wife? Mine was the same and now the CDs gather dust.

Have you ever shown a well implemented iPad remote computer based system to your wife? Mine was the same and now the CDs gather dust.

A good example would be JRiver combined with JRemote.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I want to keep it simple, I would have to turn on a computer running Jriver...

Keep it very simple ... don't turn the computer off!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

They will, but the Oppo will grab your files right from your server, it's amazing! I only use the transport for movies and SACD discs. (I don't have a ripping apparatus.)

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

choosing a dac is becoming a much harder businness then i anticipated :P

im starting to understand that a cd player and dac in one unit, while cool, is very limiting given my budget.. so time to change direction!

time a proper dac.. im done playing in the minor league.. the Hegel hd2 was the best i had, the MF Vdac2 was just ok and the geekout was pretty good also.. but a friend who owns a recording studio told me something which made me think - if you want to add color let your amp do it, let your preamp do it, let your speakers do it - but your source needs to be as clean as possible so you will never be limited with what you can do with it! and i agree..

also, he claims that studio dacs and external sound cards, even old ones based on firewire, are just as good as super expensive dacs and that Dynamic range is the most important factor to look at - interesting..

with that in mind, i started looking at the benchark dac1 or maybe an Apogee mini dac..

any other ideas for me? i will get a cd transport as well and hook it up to the dac (together with my audio pc)

Hi guys.

after toying around with the Hegel hd2 (which i loved) and the Geekout as dac in my system its time for me to move on to more serious dacs.. now, i have a serious CD collection which i never listen to because i dont have a cd player so i thought its time to get a propper CD TRANSPORT..

so which unit has both (similair to the EAR ACUTE) for up to 1000$ ?

i saw the Teac CD-3000 but its a bit too expensive and i dont think i can listen to it localy. the music hall 15.3 cd player also has USB input but alas it is not available localy as well..

any other recomendations? tube output would be a big plus as well!

This: Marantz US | SA8005

Superb sounding as a CD player, SACD player and as a USB dac.

PS. If you're looking for a tube sound then the Krell is NOT where you want to look.

David

The Creek Evolution 50CD has gotten a rave review by Hi-Fi Choice—although they always review Creek products favorably.

I believe it also does volume control so it could be used as a preamp. Its output impedance is also appropriate for a preamp. It definitely looks very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here's another candidate that poped up locally - quad 99 cd.. together with HiFace it should give me what i need.. what do you guys think?

As long as it's less $ than the Marantz it could be a nice player. Sold those years ago and they were a nice sounding player. They are no longer imported into the US though.

David

first of all - thank you all for your help.. when i decided to upgrade my source the path was very clear.. thats why i opened this thread! but now, things look very different. i now understand that a CDP with USB input is not the best of ideas because i will be very limited with my option down the line.. also, i want most of my money to go for the DAC part, the cd trasnport's quality is less important for me right now.

so i strated lookin outside the box and units like the Benchmark dac1 or apogee minidac look far more interesting.. im also considering going STUDIO all the way.. the recording studio units usually work just as good as cost far less (or thats what i learned from my reaserch, i may be wrong..).

so, guys, any new recomendations?

even studio gear has "colors" and "house sound".

lavry, apogee, grace design units all sound different with varying degrees of resolution, presentation, and etc,.

old dennon broadcasting cdps are cheap and good with great connectivity options, if you dont mind using cartridges.

used lavry or apogee mini dac plus dennon would be under a grand.

good luck.