IGNORED

New MacMini as dedicated music server - share mouse & keyboard with existing imac?

I'm considering switching from my nearly 5 year old imac to a dedicated MacMini, but keeping the imac for other desktop applications (e.g. Photo, mail, etc.).

Given that hat the Mac mini doesn't come with any keyboard and mouse, can I have my existing Bluetooth keyboard and Magic Mouse and pair them with both computers? I obviously don't plan on having both computers on at the same time as this would certainly result in weird behavior.

No, not easily, but logitech makes a new bluetooth keyboard that can pair with up to 3 devices simultaneously. I don't know about mice.

However, in reality I almost always do stuff on my mac mini from the comfort of the keyboard and mouse attached (via bluetooth) to my Mac mini, via Apple's Screen Sharing. Then I can have (and always do have) both computers on at the same time, and when I full-screen the remote display, it just works as another "space" or virtual desktop.

Are you meaning use them to set the Mac Mini up which you will then remote control; or use the keyboard and mouse on both devices on a daily basis?

There's no problem with associating the keyboard and mouse for setup; but then to use them on the iMac you will have to re associate them - doing this regular to swap back and forward would be tedious (IMO).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I meant to write that I can do everything on my mac mini from the comfort of screen sharing displayed on my iMac. (Obviously you can do the reverse too). I think that is by far the most seamless solution.

Do you not still need a keyboard, mouse and screen for initial setup Bill?

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Yes, but I thought he was asking about day-to-day operation.

I wasn't sure...

Eloise

---

When I got my Mac Mini about six months ago, I attached the keyboard, monitor, and mouse from my big Mac to it for the initial setup. Since then everything has been done using either the Screen Sharing program that's part of OS X or Screens from my iPad.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I meant to write that I can do everything on my mac mini from the comfort of screen sharing displayed on my iMac. (Obviously you can do the reverse too). I think that is by far the most seamless solution.

Screen sharing to the imac is a great idea. I completely forgot about this as my Imac is from 2009 and doesn't have this feature yet, but obviously it should work the other way round. I'll investigate. That is probably the much more workable solution that continuously pairing and unpairing the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Screen sharing to the imac is a great idea. I completely forgot about this as my Imac is from 2009 and doesn't have this feature yet, but obviously it should work the other way round. I'll investigate. That is probably the much more workable solution that continuously pairing and unpairing the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Yes, screen sharing is actually quite elegant.

While the built-in Screen Sharing app is quite nice, I've grown to appreciate another related app, Jump Desktop, which I use instead.

Some more choices with Jump Desktop, and works better too for my setup of two headless Mac Mini's.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What's the version of the OS? I can screen-share between 10.10 and 10.6. If it isn't built in, you can often force it to open via url:

vnc://my.computer.local

The server and client both have to be running.

I used to use two free software programs: OSXvnc and Chicken of the VNC

If all else fails, try that (if you are stuck with a ppc running 10.5).

What's the version of the OS? I can screen-share between 10.10 and 10.6. If it isn't built in, you can often force it to open via url:

vnc://my.computer.local

The server and client both have to be running.

I used to use two free software programs: OSXvnc and Chicken of the VNC

If all else fails, try that (if you are stuck with a ppc running 10.5).

I'm on mavericks. Actually, I probably confused the regular screen share with AirPlay Mirroring to my Apple TV, which my computer doesn't support from a hardware side.

anyhow, I'll probably hold off with the purchase until the new MacMini comes out:

Mac mini 2014 release date, specs, rumours and images - News - Macworld UK

Thanks everybody for for your help!

I have the same setup and have migrated the mouse and keyboard over from an IMac to the Mini but needed to unpaired the connection and then pair to mini. I suggest you buy a small 10$ USB hard wired mouse (those tiny ones for travelling with a laptop) for the rare occasions when your booting up and the system has not enabled screen sharing (this has happened with a recent update and had to use an HDMI cable to my flat screen TV with the wired USB mouse for control to enable screen sharing again). Otherwise it is just screen sharing as mentioned in the comments you've seen so far.

Cheers,

Warren

I have a similar question... is anyone using VNC screen sharing to an mac mini with wifi turned off and internet sharing from another mac?

My Macmini (music) connects using ethernet to my other macmini (desktop) to get access to NAS drives (music) and internet sharing... but i cannot get screen sharing to work over this ethernet connection from the desktop or my laptop or ipac.

I think i need to setup port forwarding on the desktop macmini to point to the music servers 5900 port but cannot get it to work.

any ideas?

MacMini (JS-2) > iUSB > Regen > MDAC > Decware Mystery > Ellis 1801

I have a similar question... is anyone using VNC screen sharing to an mac mini with wifi turned off and internet sharing from another mac?

My Macmini (music) connects using ethernet to my other macmini (desktop) to get access to NAS drives (music) and internet sharing... but i cannot get screen sharing to work over this ethernet connection from the desktop or my laptop or ipac.

I think i need to setup port forwarding on the desktop macmini to point to the music servers 5900 port but cannot get it to work.

any ideas?

Yes, the music Mac a Mini is behind a Firewall, in that configuration. While it is possible to make that work, please buy an inexpensive little switch to put between the two machines. It will simplify things enormously and also probably be far more reliable.

Yours,

Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

What's the version of the OS?

Bill,

I don't think it makes a lot of difference. A month or two back I had a 10.6 MacBookPro remoted into a 10.5 G4, remoted into a 10.9 Mac Mini. All done with basic Mac screen sharing and no special sauce :) Easy and fun.

I've used the Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad for 4 years now with my Mac Mini. It's on a table beside me when I need it and I have one of those little "lap tables" that are used for a laptop. It has worked great for me.

image.jpg

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
Looks like you can still get it here:

Logitech diNovo Edge Mac Edition Cordless Keyboard

However, that price is a bit absurd. For $150 you can get this:

Harmony Smart Keyboard Remote - Logitech

Bill ... forgive me for being picky ... but did you really suggest $159.99 as an absurd price but suggested a $150 product as an alternative?

I don't use one ... but Amazon.com: Adesso SlimTouch Mini Bluetooth Keyboard for Mac with Touchpad (WKB-4000BM): Electronics is more reasonably priced ... or just accept the mislabeled keys and go for Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad K400 - Logitech

Eloise.

Eloise

---

Yes, because instead of buying a keyboard (for about twice what I paid for it years ago), for that price you can buy a keyboard with the same feature set, slightly greater functionality, but that works as part of a whole remote control system (which I have, by the way -- and I just ordered the add-on keyboard for $50). Unless someone has need for the remote control (TV, etc), it isn't a good solution. However, the keyboard can be paired with multiple devices simultaneously.

Yes, because instead of buying a keyboard (for about twice what I paid for it years ago), for that price you can buy a keyboard with the same feature set, slightly greater functionality, but that works as part of a whole remote control system (which I have, by the way -- and I just ordered the add-on keyboard for $50). Unless someone has need for the remote control (TV, etc), it isn't a good solution. However, the keyboard can be paired with multiple devices simultaneously.

Ahhh I understand now Bill... not as daft as I thought!

Eloise

---