IGNORED

Mac Mini external Linear PSU connection

Hello,

I am running a mid 2011 Mac Mini into a JKenny Ciunas DAC,

recently I decided to add an external PSU, and indeed it made a noticeable difference. My question is, what would be the best (in reasonable terms) way to connect the external PSU (btw, it is a KECES 12V 6A) to the mini

currently I am using a 40 cm silver lintz cable, but it is really thin in diameter.

is this advisable?

any other recomendarion?

Hello,

recently I decided to add an external PSU, and indeed it made a noticeable difference. My question is, what would be the best (in reasonable terms) way to connect the external PSU (btw, it is a KECES 12V 6A) to the mini

currently I am using a 40 cm silver lintz cable, but it is really thin in diameter.

is this advisable?

any other recomendarion?

I didn't know you could simply attach an external PSU to a mid-2011 mac mini. Have you disconnected the internal SMPS of the mac?

Hello,

is this advisable?

any other recomendarion?

Here is a good choice : CLONES audio

There is a video chip teaching buyers the ext psu connection method.

the mPSU is a good idea, but I already have the KECES PSU, so I need only to figure out the conection

the impementations (i.e. jack or direct solder to the main board) does not bother me

my questuon is what would rip the best of benefits in terms of sound quality

thanks!

You could try contacting Alex (superdad) at UpTone Audio LLC ... I think they have developed a replacement board for the Mac Mini with additional filtering, etc. Designed for use with their own LPSU but not sure if they will sell it generally.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

the mPSU is a good idea, but I already have the KECES PSU, so I need only to figure out the conection

the impementations (i.e. jack or direct solder to the main board) does not bother me

my questuon is what would rip the best of benefits in terms of sound quality

thanks!

Hi perister,

You may see from the webpage of Clones Audio psu that their package includes two tailor-made connection cables for connecting ext psu to Mac Mini.

These two cables can be purchased separately but the price is not cheap and the whole package has better c/p ratio.

You may send them an enquiry email.

currently I am using a 4 strands of 26AWG solid pure silver cable, direcly soldered to the main board wire conector

what I am asking is if there is anything substantial to gain if I change this conection with something else (these cables were already expensive!!!)

many thanks again:)

currently I am using a 4 strands of 26AWG solid pure silver cable, direcly soldered to the main board wire conector

what I am asking is if there is anything substantial to gain if I change this conection with something else (these cables were already expensive!!!)

many thanks again:)

Why not try 2 different coloured lengths of 15A rated mains cable ? That will reduce voltage drop under higher load conditions.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I will try this, and report back

so the thickness of the cable is expected to make a difference, right?

It's the resistance of the cable that makes the difference. Your PSU will have quite a low output impedance, so we don't want to degrade that too much by using thinner, and thus higher resistance output cables.

John Swenson has taken the cable resistance into account with his JS2 linear PSU for the Mac Mini by also providing an optional tiny Kelvin Sensor PCB that checks the output at the end of the cable via an additional "sense" lead, and this gives a further improvement in the stability and accuracy of the power supplied to the Mac Mini.

If you have a good digital meter, you could measure the voltage drop via the different cables under varying load conditions.

We want as little variation as possible , otherwise it may reflect into more sensitive areas of the PC.

Whether or not the differences between cables will be audible, is a different matter. It's just good practice to minimise these losses.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020