IGNORED

JRiver on NAS - Lets make it happen!

jtwrace

Hi Tranz, sorry but I think,I misunderstood your post. If I reformulate you mean that I can use bubble upnp on my synology NAS, configure it as an openhome and use my dlna renderer (3dlabs nano) with for example the LUMIN and auralic app under iOS ?

That's right - the BubbleUPnPServer works as a bridge between a OpenHome control point (such as Lumin or Kinsky) on your iPad (or iPhone or Android device etc).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

If you want J.River to run on a NAS; then build a NAS running Windows. Chris has described the CAPSv4 Cortes; but there's no reason you couldn't run J.River on much lower powered processor if you are simply using it as a UPnP server.

An Atom motherboard (or similes) in a case you can put 3 or 4 drives in. Install Windows on an SSD or mSATA card; set the drives as a RAID for convenience (and some redundancy) and then you're all set.

It's not about the hardware really; it's about the software and setup (IMO).

Eloise

Hello, i'm not sure I want to invest in a bunch of components in a case as the capsv4. If I need to do something I just need a i5 fanless with a ssd for the OS in order to run only Jriver and to tag a NAS that could also do,something else than playing music. I can do it myself :-)

So let's come back on the topic concerning jriver on a NAS.

^ Yeh I agree.

Now JRiver runs in Linux why not release a cut down server version for NAS devices? I'd luv a JRiver QNAP UPnP server app. That would be awesome! Wap.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

So I agree with pat here. I say why not??? The key is getting something lean and easy to install on a NAS that will serve up files easily via the awesome JRiver iOS app...

That's the they here.. It's using the Jremote *app* I'm interested in. Not a bulky windows or OSX server platform. But I need JRiver running somewhere to use Jremote!!!

Anything to get folks using that Jremote app would have to be a good idea for JRiver surely ???

Wap.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

With the support of Tranz, I installed BubbleUPnP server on top of minimserver and it works fine with my 3dlabs nano :-)

I can use the LUMIN and Auralic app under iOS without any problem.

BR

Glad to hear it worked. Are you getting gapless playback controlling it with OH Media controllers?

IMHO, I think it is a good idea to have a version at least the JRiver Server to be installed in the NAS. No need to switch on the computer before I can play music. However, I tried twice with the streamer, first the Linn Majik DS and recently Lumin A1 and despite they are not bad at all, I still prefer to use RME sound card to DAC which in my setup performs much better and sounds better.

MetalNuts

• 1 year later...

The USB Output was the holy grail I was looking for but sorry buddy. It doesn't work that way on qnap. The qnap JRMC plays on your TV through the HD station HDMI interface not on your headless NAS. Same as Spotify.

So your sound output options are hdmi, 3.5mm jack or DLNA to your speakers. DLNA is best

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think USB audio from qnap NAS is only possible using their proprietary musicstation app.

Submerge in the music...

ralphoi,

I heard that it's required to have multi OS licence for Jriver to be able to start qnap application. Can you confirm that? If yes where is the place for licence in qnap application?

I have doubts that there will be any pros of using qnap USB directly to DAC. Unless Qnap will be equipped in LPS and good USB port. What is your first impression?

I actually don't have a jriver licence for my qnap install. But it reminds me every time with a popup saying I have only a 1 month trial which will expire soon. To be honest, I haven't done any critical listening with USB vs DLNA yet. I'm just glad it works since USB is a more stable connection than DLNA over wifi (which I'm using)

Also correct me if I'm wrong... I'm not sure JRMC dsp studio works over DLNA

Submerge in the music...

• 1 month later...