IGNORED

JRiver on NAS - Lets make it happen!

jtwrace

Sounds intriguing. No GUI. Linux. Low process. Low electrical noise. Ethernet connection (or wireless bridge) to get music without USB or SPDIF to the DAC? Yum

The irony would not be lost, since JRiver does not believe OS, low processes or hardware tweaking affect sound quality. :)

As you may know, JRiver has a Linux version now. If you like to build computers, that's an option.

If you just want a simple solution, you might take a look at the JRiver Id:

Id - JRiverWiki

It connects to your LAN, to a USB DAC (or HDMI or analog out). It uses 7 watts during playback.

You can play to it using JRemote or Gizmo:

Remotes - JRiverWiki

It shows up as a Samba drive on the network, so you can easily copy files to it. It has a 120GB SSD.

It's $295 right now.

Thanks. Similar to an SMS100 sounds like. Not a bad price.

Any plans for a simple linux version that serves the audio files from a NAS like Synology, and uses JRemote as the controller?

Some are trying to avoid USB connection all together.

I have a Rasberry Pi box running MPD that I use as a renderer feeding SPDIF to my DAC. I use jriver and jremote to serve files to it via UPNP. Kind of close to what you're looking for and available today. The whole Rasbperry Pi build cost under $100.

Thanks for the suggestion.

There is a Linux version available, but it's not meant for NAS drives.

NAS drives are often Linux computers, so it might be possible...

Hi JRiver,

Thanks. With the potential LAN link into MSB DACs, being able to run a super thin JRiver on a NAS or other small, low power, low electrical noise device that has a LAN output would be intriguing. The JRiver ID does not have a LAN output, correct?

The full blown JRiver would still be used on the computer for file/library management, but the files would reside on the NAS, and during playback the main computer would not be needed.

Cheers

Tranz,

I run Media Server only (it runs as a startup service in WS2012). When I want to browse I use JRemote. If i need to do servicing then I right-click Media Server in the task bar and it brings up the GUI (but it remains off otherwise). Same can be had for Mac.

Thanks ted_b!

That sounds like a good option. With a heavily modded pc or mac it might even be electrically less noisy than a NAS with an lpsu? Have you ever run Jriver through a linux box like SoTM's SMS100?

• 5 weeks later...
Media Server (part of JRiver Media Center) has no GUI and is a DLNA Server, among other things. You could read about it on our wiki.

Hi JRiver,

A few follow up questions on the Id box. Will I be able to hang a big USB harddrive with all music files directly off the Id? Or even a thunderbolt drive?

When using JRemote and the Id as a DLNA server, how many concurrent processes are running? Am I able to kill any unnecessary processes, i.e. Bluetooth, audio output, wifi, etc.?

It almost sounds like it can be used as a dedicated music only NAS with the best Remote controller around (Jremote), running only a JRiver DLNA server.

Am I missing anything?

Alternatively, I could still attach a Synology NAS on the network containing all my music files and the Id would grab the files there, correct?

How many SATA connections are available on the NUC board used?

Cheers

• 1 month later...
With the support of Tranz, I installed BubbleUPnP server on top of minimserver and it works fine with my 3dlabs nano :-)

I can use the LUMIN and Auralic app under iOS without any problem.

BR

Glad to hear it worked. Are you getting gapless playback controlling it with OH Media controllers?