IGNORED

JRiver on NAS - Lets make it happen!

jtwrace

As you may know, JRiver has a Linux version now. If you like to build computers, that's an option.

If you just want a simple solution, you might take a look at the JRiver Id:

Id - JRiverWiki

It connects to your LAN, to a USB DAC (or HDMI or analog out). It uses 7 watts during playback.

You can play to it using JRemote or Gizmo:

Remotes - JRiverWiki

It shows up as a Samba drive on the network, so you can easily copy files to it. It has a 120GB SSD.

It's $295 right now.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

There is a Linux version available, but it's not meant for NAS drives.

NAS drives are often Linux computers, so it might be possible.

There is a lot of talk about USB problems among some audiophiles, but we don't think it's anything to worry about under normal circumstances. It usually works fine.

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry. I missed this.

A few follow up questions on the Id box. Will I be able to hang a big USB harddrive with all music files directly off the Id? Or even a thunderbolt drive?

No on both at this time. USB will work eventually.

When using JRemote and the Id as a DLNA server, how many concurrent processes are running? Am I able to kill any unnecessary processes, i.e. Bluetooth, audio output, wifi, etc.?

No need to kill anything.

It almost sounds like it can be used as a dedicated music only NAS with the best Remote controller around (Jremote), running only a JRiver DLNA server.

It isn't a NAS, but it is very low power (7 watts) and it can store files. It doesn't have a big drive though. 120GB with maybe half available for storage.

Alternatively, I could still attach a Synology NAS on the network containing all my music files and the Id would grab the files there, correct?

Probably.

How many SATA connections are available on the NUC board used?

There isn't room to add a drive.

• 1 year later...