IGNORED

JRiver on NAS - Lets make it happen!

jtwrace

I thought for those that use a renderer and would like to continue to use JRiver/JRemote this would be a great topic to add to if you're interested.

See the thread at JRiver's Interact here.

If we (consumers) could get this done it would be awesome as it would allow complete control with something that is familar and obviously tried and true with all formats.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

+2 Build it and they will come!! Another Happy JRiver customer

Man cave Denon 3312ci, Oppo 93, Windows 7 PC, GoldenEar 5.1 Speakers[br]Office Onkyo 797,Sony Sacd Player,Windows 7 PC,PSB Speakers, Sonore SoTM SMS 100, Schiit Magni and Modi, PSB headphones[br]Living Rm Denon 2309ci, Sony 3D Bluray, Pioneer Sacd player, PSB speakers, WD Live Meadia Player[br]Two other rooms with Directv receivers that allow music from PC server setup to TV speakers (at this time)

+3 I would be interested in this if I could easily install it on my Synology NAS

Definitely.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - MacMini running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi wireless > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > iFi Audio xDSD + iFi Audio xCAN > Focal Elegia

Home Theater - Mac Mini running Roon Server > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Pioneer Elite SC-81 > MartinLogan Motion series home theater speakers + M&K subwoofer

Auralic should pay JRiver to do it.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

I'm in.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

You're right, but those that wanted all those features could just buy the PC/MAC version, and not the NAS version. I think the idea comes from the dearth of satisfying interfaces for NAS users. Even a JRiver "lite" for NAS, which allowed for basic features like smartlists would be very welcome to a lot of people.

J River is famous for it's features for improving both sound and video quality. e.g. Convert pcm to 4xDSD via Dop.

Those features are demanding of resources. A version that could run on a NAS would be an, of necessity, crippled version.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

You're right, but those that wanted all those features could just buy the PC/MAC version, and not the NAS version. I think the idea comes from the dearth of satisfying interfaces for NAS users. Even a JRiver "lite" for NAS, which allowed for basic features like smartlists would be very welcome to a lot of people.

Exactly.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - MacMini running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi wireless > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > iFi Audio xDSD + iFi Audio xCAN > Focal Elegia

Home Theater - Mac Mini running Roon Server > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Pioneer Elite SC-81 > MartinLogan Motion series home theater speakers + M&K subwoofer

I am not convinced that a NAS is the right place for JRiver, but I am very open to the thought. My Synology NAS (DS1513+ with DX513 add on module) is medium to fairly hi-end and yet it is a dog when it comes to serving some apps (PLex for one). Moreover, I am not sure I want that which handles a farm of constantly spinning drives to be near my music serving (if I don't have to).

I am currently evaluating three music "serving" options in my music room:

* NAS-based DLNA server (Minimserver) to Auralic Aries (streaming bridge/renderer) to UAC complaint DAC of choice (USB or digital outs)

* NAS-based normal file serving to a dual pc setup running JRIver/Jplay, where the controlpc's JRIver is pointed to my NAS, and then hands it to JPlay as a back end ASIO engine, which then sends it to my audiopc via ethernet (dedicated hibernating audiopc has USB card, DAC drivers only).

* Proprietary music server running internal storage (6TB) and internal proprietary player (Aurender X100L) then connects to a DAC via UAC2-compliant USB connection. The Aurender can also see my NAS and grab its music, too, but cannot do anything but folder browse it; it prefers internal cataloged library (haven't a/b'd which copy of the album sounds better, if any).

The jury is out (my latest thinking is that I will write a review/article about all three and kill a few birds) and the variables are many (except for the location of the NAS music files and the downstream USB cable and DAC) but my logic tells me that my NAS has enough work to do to serve files. Maybe it's too lightweight?

Subscribed. I'm searching for a new server/streamer/nas/server software/control point software. Basically everything upstream of my PS Audio PWD MKII. I'm fed up with the (non-working) bridge and am limping along with a resolution limiting Squeezebox Duet using iPeng.

Subscribed. I'm searching for a new server/streamer/nas/server software/control point software. Basically everything upstream of my PS Audio PWD MKII. I'm fed up with the (non-working) bridge and am limping along with a resolution limiting Squeezebox Duet using iPeng.

Nothing wrong with the Duet, I have the touch currently playing 24/192 through the new iFI Micro I-DSD DAC and it sounds splendid. Is the duet capable of 24/192?

David Brook | MCRU

You should take a look at the Sonore Rendu and Signature Rendu renderers, you can get either with I2S output to your DAC. You can even use JRiver/JRemote with them if you have JRiver on your server in UPnP.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

For me, remote access to the library is fairly important. Using JRemote on my iPad to the JRMC on my Mac is key. Of the NAS companies extant, I guess Synology has the best track record for workable remote apps. But I wonder if any software player company would be willing, or able, to try and support a more narrow segment than we see today, via Windows and OS X. Example: Amarra which has been around but only supports OS X and has no remote app (and their own browser-based and iTunes connected interface is really poor).

Steve Schaffer

Roon Nucleus/ dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia 2 / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata interconnects & power cables & Ethernet / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2

I am thinking about this proposition more and thinking that it may not be such a great idea. Afterall as good as the Synology NAS is, it is not designed to be an audio server. May be better just leaving that to a dedicated box and leaving the NAS as a file server, i.e. what it was designed to do. Through Sonos devices and zones and using JRiver/Jremote I already have access to my music wherever I want.

So, I take back my vote, I am not seeing a compelling reason to be interested in this.

I believe the compelling reason is to leverage the combination of JRIVER and JRemote. That to me is worth it, I can always use my Mac based JRIVER for managing the meta data.

I just need JRIVER to serve up the music files requested and interface with JRemote, I don't need it to do PCM to DSD conversion nor sample everything to DSD 128. Though that would of course be interesting.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Personally I remember a software/hardware engineer telling me 20+ years ago "computers like to be left alone" which meant every time you add something to them there is potential for it to do a wobbly which nowadays is freeze/crash etc etc.

So the idea of running jriver on a NAS and getting rid of the PC is very exciting indeed (to me anyway), I can listen to my music without a pc in my room/workshop using my touch which accesses the pc in my office via my network but the OP's idea is good if it can be done.

David Brook | MCRU

I have to ask the question ... Why?

What do you think running J.River on low powered NAS hardware would bring you?

Running J.River on a NAS does NOT get rid of the computer. All it gets rid of is Windows (or MacOS X) and limits your technology choices.

If you want to run J.River in this way ... buy a larger case and put several drive in it. You can leave that running headless and stream to a renderer.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Running J.River on a NAS does NOT get rid of the computer. All it gets rid of is Windows (or MacOS X) and limits your technology choices.

If you want to run J.River in this way ... buy a larger case and put several drive in it. You can leave that running headless and stream to a renderer.

Eloise

I think you're missing the point. It would replace Minimserver and allow JRemote without the need for another computer. A simple 2ch version only. Think JRiver Lite.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

+1- I got in trouble for saying the same thing in another thread...

Eloise

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz