IGNORED

SSD not really faster

In doing research for a now critical Macbook Pro upgrade (let's just say that my current Macbook Pro is now 'headless', albeit much lighter), I sauntered over to the Apple Store in Soho this afternoon.

I checked quite a few of the Macbook Pros (in System Profiler), hoping that they would spill the beans on what SSDs Apple are using. Sadly, I couldn't find a single Macbook Pro with SSD installed, altho I couldn't check them all, as the store was packed as is usual for Sat afternoon.

I did however find a couple of Macbook Air's with SSD, but the info in System Profiler was inconclusive.

One was a Samsung, and the other was an "Apple SSD", both were of the 128Gb (more like 112Gb) variety, as I recall. Each indicated 3.0 Ghz, and AHCI was listed prominently (thanks Peter), whatever that means.

After talking to a couple of Apple salespeople (the first asked "what's an SSD"), I found one who said - let's go look it up. He pulled up the everymac.com site, but couldn't find the info, at which time, another interested salesperson asked a 'Genius' on my behalf. The answer I got was: the Apple SSDs are either Samsung, OCZ, or another brand (which he forgot). The 'genius' also said: " they're not the ones you're probaby looking for - Intel or Corsair".

so, there you have it. Apparently, it's hit or miss, with Apple using the flash chips interchangeably, thus the use of the Apple brand.

This helped me with my decision, I'll go with a small HD for now, and upgrade to SSD when the landscape is a little more settled.

As for the 'headless' Macbook pro, any ideas on the best way to wirelessly communicate from laptop to TV monitor?

cheers,

clay

• 2 months later...