IGNORED

Serious audio needs a seriously good source route

I thought Mayhem's response was more cordial than the post it answered.

Me too.

StephenJK posted twice in a way that could be interpreted that the OP didn't have enough sense to just move his computer. Hardly seems mayhem's suggestion that doing so was inconvenient is out of line. SJK then had to pop off about that. We later learn the OP uses his computer for more than just music playback essentially validating mayhem's post about convenience. So the next post by mayhem wasn't much that seemed argumentative at all. If anyone in this thread clearly intended to argue it was SJk who apparently thought the OP come to his solution or justify why not.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I suspect that on this occasion, that Chris C. may have missed the post that mayhem 13 linked to.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I'm certainly singled out more than anyone else here as my mannerisms and mantra conflict with those of our moderator and his vision of what CA should or could be. At some point I hope he realizes I'm not here to devalue his development.

The point or relevance of the computer itself is slipping from the core of CA, with most discussions putting the primary influence of audio OUTSIDE of the computer chassis. When I joined CA, I was looking for an environment rich is software development for the purposes of cataloguing, accessing and streaming music efficiently. I 'read' those threads when they appear but don't comment as I have little experience in code and even less of a desire to learn......but anxiously await the next big thing possibly to come.

I do contribute where I can. For most of my life, I've been embedded in the industry in several areas whether it was engineering, acoustics, speaker design, right down to touring and session musician. I've seen probobly as much of the 'practical' side of audio as anyone still working in music. And for this reason, I simply can't ignore the practical and trend towards the fringe........as the fringe will always be just that. Everyone knows good music and sound when they hear it. There's no exclusivity to it.....it's just plain ol practicality.

Chill for gods sake, it's hifi!

He's going to say next there's never been a HiFi emergency...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Mayhem is hardly as disruptive as MANY on this forum and for the life of me I don't see the problem with the post in question. A bit more intelligence and humor could go a long way around here. Chill for gods sake, it's hifi!

+1

The Truth Is Out There

Now THAT I disagree with. Broken cartridges, fuses blowing, tubes glowing like little infernos! All were and are, emergencys that HAVE to be attended to immediately!

(It's a quote in someone's .sig)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I'm certainly singled out more than anyone else here as my mannerisms and mantra conflict with those of our moderator and his vision of what CA should or could be. At some point I hope he realizes I'm not here to devalue his development.

Thanks for clarifying. BTW, you picked the user name, presumably.

The point or relevance of the computer itself is slipping from the core of CA, with most discussions putting the primary influence of audio OUTSIDE of the computer chassis. When I joined CA, I was looking for an environment rich is software development for the purposes of cataloguing, accessing and streaming music efficiently. I 'read' those threads when they appear but don't comment as I have little experience in code and even less of a desire to learn......but anxiously await the next big thing possibly to come.

Ditch the Windows, and you will start to like your computer (assuming you use OS X or Linux or some other unix variant.)

Having looked at quality and investment of OP's downstream gear it's no brainer to me to setup a dedicated (possibly small footprint) headless audio only PC. Intel NUC or Mac mini would be good candidates depending on OS preference.

I agree. Im using the Jremote function of Jriver to remotely operate a pc. I have a large monitor on the remote pc and a wireless keyboard that I can use at my sofa. I want to try gizmo and android apps next just for giggles. (also on the remote pc - so many tweaks so little time) Another solution is toslink. I hear you snickering in the background but it works great on another server that acts as a streamer for internet radio etc.

I'd never run speaker cable that long if I had other options.

As Tranz advises, speaker loads are very low impedance, so less chance of noise to enter compared with anything else, the exception being Ethernet.

Cables run at my house are 10m, don't get to hear much noise at all, they are a little oversized, more than enough to overcome voltage drop. 7m is OK, why would it be an issue?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I prefer to not settle for OK.

What kind of noise one would have to ask? Certainly not thermal noise as that cable heats and cools. Maybe the noise gets shunted by all of the reactance in 30 feet of speaker cable into an load.

As to running long speaker cables vs long digital cables or interconnects, that is well trodden ground. We all make our choices, and that is one I would prefer not to have to make.

7m is OK

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz