IGNORED

Help with DAC for old system

Hi, I would like help for putting some old, expensive 5.1 Home Theatre equipment to use for playing 24 bit / 96 KHZ (or lower) Stereo FLAC files or 48 kHz surround FLAC files (or even movies) from a computer.

By doing some research, I think (although I may be wrong) I need a DAC with a coaxial output. I don't know which price range is appropriate for this equipment though. My question is, which DAC products / price range go best with this equipment:

Denon AVR-2802 amplifier

75 Ohm G&BL Coaxial cable

B&W AS1 Active Subwoofer

B&W DM602 for front and stereo (two)

B&W DM601 for back (two)

B&W LCR60 S3 for central

Appropriately good cables (forgot which, I can find out if needed)

This is 5.1 equipment while I would mostly play Stereo: separating the speakers and switching to a Stereo setup is also an option. The priority is Stereo 96 kHz audio fidelity with a coaxial cable, but I expect all DACs support any resolution at any speaker configuration, be it DSD, 5.1, Stereo etc... anyway.

I may be asking the wrong question and I may not need a DAC but something else, though I'm pretty sure I need a DAC.

Thanks

As a simple starting place...

First off you don't need a DAC as your Denon already contains a DAC. Later on you might want to replace some or all your system but here's how to get you going at minimal cost but to create a good system out of what you already have.

Do you have a computer? If so, then look for a M2Tech HiFace 2 USB to co-ax adaptor and connect that between the computer and a spare digital input if your Denon.

Assuming your computer is running Windows; install J.River Media Center (a small cost or try Foobar but that's less user friendly). Also install dbPowerAmp which is software for "ripping" your CDs. Between these two software and the converter you have a basic system to start from. If you have an iPad or other table this can work well as a control device for the music library.

Later on you can look at getting a susperior DAC and perhaps replacing the Denon with a pure 2 channel amplifier.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Yes the M2Tech HiFace 2 (there are other devices available but that is the most cost effective afaik) is co-ax output to connect to a digital input with a cable such as you showed.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.