Sign in to follow this  
The Computer Audiophile

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

Rate this topic

Is acceptance guaranteed? I'd definitely grab a Mini if that's the case.
I'm sure any Aries owner is in with a very good chance ;-)

So I spent some time with Xuanqian Wang at CES this past week. We chatted about a number of things, including the questions many of you posted here.

As many of you now know, the MQA partnership program has supposedly changed quite a bit over the past few days. At one point there was going to be a debate over those units that do software decoding in the front-end (Aries) and then send already-decoded-MQA-material to a non-MQA dac.....versus.....doing it in the back-end (DAC) via an MQA-capable DAC. That debate seems to have been put on hold as MQA has halted the rollout of MQA processing in front ends; this means Aries will not be doing MQA processing, but instead simply allowing MQA content (i.e Tidal) to pass unharmed to an MQA-capable DAC.

Upsampling in Aries: not at all high on Auralic's radar. The much higher project is going to be room correction in Aries (to be determined).

Roon-ready: It is contained in this next 3.0 firmware update, but after seeing Lightning 2.4 (iPhone) I am not so sure those of you without Roon will want to pay for something that is similarly provided in this next major upgrade of Lightning, for free! It is Roon-like in many ways, and in a number of ways (zone management, etc) maybe even more capable...and free. But, those of us with Roon, it will be an option so that Aries shows up as a Roon zone, simple and straight-forward.

UPnP: not at all on Auralic radar. UPnP is a huge step backward from what Lightning is doing in OpenHome (and OH improvements) so Squeezebox capability is not likely an impetus to try and deal with all the pitfalls of UPnP.

The Auralic team is growing, has huge plans for Aries and Lightning, and left me with a feeling that they have clear visions of providing way more functionality in the future.

I have the beta on an 6S and it works great. I saw Auralic saying it has already submitted LDS to Apple for review. Maybe 7-10 days.

Ted, thanks for the update. Very interesting and informative.

+1

Digital:  Innuos Zenith Std Mk2 > Shunyata Sigma USB > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Wireworld Gold Startlight > OPTO DX > Shunyata Alpha S/PDIF > Chord Hugo TT2 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps

As some already know Auralic has updated the MQA-on-hold announcement and clarified that MQA "generic" decoding (meaning: decode in front-end, send to generic dac) will happen, just not yet in 3.0.

Thanks Ted. What does that mean for the Mini with its built-in DAC? Front end and back end are in the same box, there.

A lot of people will probably be disappointed by Auralic's lack of interest in fixing the UPnP problems. Me included. OH may be superior, but Auralic advertises with UPnP compatibility, which does not exist when people have severe problems using the Mini as an UPnP renderer e.g. with Jriver.

Roon-ready: It is contained in this next 3.0 firmware update, but after seeing Lightning 2.4 (iPhone) I am not so sure those of you without Roon will want to pay for something that is similarly provided in this next major upgrade of Lightning, for free! It is Roon-like in many ways, and in a number of ways (zone management, etc) maybe even more capable...and free. But, those of us with Roon, it will be an option so that Aries shows up as a Roon zone, simple and straight-forward.

Any chance that they will offer their Roon-like software for non-Auralic DACs and Players?

Any chance that they will offer their Roon-like software for non-Auralic DACs and Players?

Not a chance.

Since Aries is the Roon zone (not your dac) then yes, you can control your own non-Auralic dac via Roon/Aries. But for other non-Auralic players, no.

So I spent some time with Xuanqian Wang at CES this past week. We chatted about a number of things, including the questions many of you posted here.

The Auralic team is growing, has huge plans for Aries and Lightning, and left me with a feeling that they have clear visions of providing way more functionality in the future.

Thank you very much for sharing this. FWIW, - I really appreciate you taking the time to get the information, then to bring it to us, even in circumstances that likely do not, or may not apply to you personally. That is really awesome!

Thanks to your great report, it is very clear that for me, Auralic is company that I have no interest in doing business with in any capacity.

Thank you very much for sharing this. FWIW, - I really appreciate you taking the time to get the information, then to bring it to us, even in circumstances that likely do not, or may not apply to you personally. That is really awesome!

Thanks to your great report, it is very clear that for me, Auralic is company that I have no interest in doing business with in any capacity.

How did Ted's report make you feel so strongly negative about Auarlic? From my perspective it seems as if the company has a good product that they intend to keep improving on.

A question about the Aries. They say you need a fast router to make it work. Something like 1300 Mbps. If I upgrade my router to that how does it help if I'm going through my comcast modem which is only 300 Mbps?

A question about the Aries. They say you need a fast router to make it work. Something like 1300 Mbps. If I upgrade my router to that how does it help if I'm going through my comcast modem which is only 300 Mbps?

First, make sure the service you're paying for can get the speeds a new router can achieve. If you have a more basic plan a higher speed capable router may not matter. Additionally, even if your speed from Comcast is high enough, you may need to get a different modem. I have Comcast also and I bought my own modem (it pays for itself in a year because you "rent" the Comcast modem anyway).

Yes I have high speed internet,I bough the netgear modem/router but it has no land line phone jeck. I need that. Can you suggest a moem,router with the phone jack?

Yes I have high speed internet,I bough the netgear modem/router but it has no land line phone jeck. I need that. Can you suggest a moem,router with the phone jack?

I don't know of any router with a standard phone jack, sorry. I think they make adapters to go from ethernet to standard phone though. Can't you use the one in wall in your house or you don't have one?

How did Ted's report make you feel so strongly negative about Auarlic? From my perspective it seems as if the company has a good product that they intend to keep improving on.

dee leeted

As many of you now know, the MQA partnership program has supposedly changed quite a bit over the past few days. At one point there was going to be a debate over those units that do software decoding in the front-end (Aries) and then send already-decoded-MQA-material to a non-MQA dac.....versus.....doing it in the back-end (DAC) via an MQA-capable DAC. That debate seems to have been put on hold as MQA has halted the rollout of MQA processing in front ends; this means Aries will not be doing MQA processing, but instead simply allowing MQA content (i.e Tidal) to pass unharmed to an MQA-capable DAC.

Upsampling in Aries: not at all high on Auralic's radar. The much higher project is going to be room correction in Aries (to be determined).

UPnP: not at all on Auralic radar. UPnP is a huge step backward from what Lightning is doing in OpenHome (and OH improvements) so Squeezebox capability is not likely an impetus to try and deal with all the pitfalls of UPnP.

Nice update Ted. Did you get the impression when he discussed future functionality that it would be more a hardware or software issue?

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Nice update Ted. Did you get the impression when he discussed future functionality that it would be more a hardware or software issue?

Just as they have done to date, it will be a combination of Aries firmware and Lightning updates. Look where they were 2 years ago.

Has the V3 firmware been rolled out? I haven't had a notification nor has the Aries rebooted to update - I can't seem to see where I can find out on LDS or Aries what firmware edition I have - it says it is up to date but the firmware version box is blank?

Edited by Bolts
Correction