IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

Well, you have a great sounding piece of HW, with superior functionality, streaming own red book and hirez music flawlessly, plus TIDAL / Qobuz integration, and a pretty decent SW (LightningDS), working great on iPad, which is far better than fiddling about with a small iPhone screen! As I see it, lots of reasons to be extremely pleased with the product. Enjoy the music, I'm confident there are more pleasant surprises to come...

Well, you have a great sounding piece of HW, with superior functionality, streaming own red book and hirez music flawlessly, plus TIDAL / Qobuz integration, and a pretty decent SW (LightningDS), working great on iPad, which is far better than fiddling about with a small iPhone screen! As I see it, lots of reasons to be extremely pleased with the product. Enjoy the music, I'm confident there are more pleasant surprises to come...

+1

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the timeliness of Auralic's software development considering their dealers were saying last fall that the iPhone app would be finished within a month or two . That was

One of the deciding factors in me buying an Aries .

Its been my experience that you should NEVER buy anything based on manufacturer or dealers comments on what may be coming as upgrades or enhancements. Only ever buy based on what is possible now.

I can see the point: if you wanted to control it with third party applications (such as BubbleDS on Android tablet or Linn Kazoo on a desktop); the only way to set up is via the iPad application. If you were promised "oh we can help you and set it up with our iPad but soon you'll be able to make changes with your iPhone" then the fact the iPhone app didn't come along could be rather annoying.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Maybe no Qobuz after November 16......

I guess Some might need an explanation... Is Qobuz Going Bust? | AudioStream

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

Hi, I am using Lightning DS on my Ipad to control my Aries mini but I am not all that keen on it. Can anyone recommend an alternative which will give me the ability to view the folders on my Synology separately. I have Flacs, MP3s, rips etc and I don't want to see them all in one view lumped together.

I would like something similar to JRiver or Squeezepad. or on the other hand is there a way to edit Lightning DS to show these views.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Palmer TT, AN CDT, Auralic Aries,Uptone Regen, Devialet D200, Focal 1028be

LDS has a folder view at the bottom right next to the library view. Have you tried that?

http://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/202269007/IMG_1059.PNG

Brilliant, thanks. I missed it because when I clicked on it the left pane was full of headings like Album, Artist,Date genre etc and it was only when I scrolled down did I see "Folder view"

Your help is much appreciated.

Palmer TT, AN CDT, Auralic Aries,Uptone Regen, Devialet D200, Focal 1028be

Its been my experience that you should NEVER buy anything based on manufacturer or dealers comments on what may be coming as upgrades or enhancements. Only ever buy based on what is possible now.

Yep! Exactly the reason I have not ordered my Aries Mini yet.

I have zero interest in owning an iPad and similarly zero interest in controlling an Aries using a suboptimal app that cannot access all of the features.

Aries Mini -> Audioquest Forest -> Musical Fidelity M6si -> Nordost White -> Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL tower

I can see the point: if you wanted to control it with third party applications (such as BubbleDS on Android tablet or Linn Kazoo on a desktop); the only way to set up is via the iPad application. If you were promised "oh we can help you and set it up with our iPad but soon you'll be able to make changes with your iPhone" then the fact the iPhone app didn't come along could be rather annoying.

I can't really recall a year back but I think some of this talk was coming from Auralic. Could be wrong though.

Can I run Lightning DS on an IPad Touch? I too am disappointed that no full release was ever made on Android. Just wondering on whether it is worthwhile to pay for the full version of BubbleUPNP or get a past gen Touch and get use of the dedicated app. Currently using BubbleUPNP on Note4 but the limitation on number of songs able to add to the queue in the free version is annoying also find the resolution of the app annoying, no need for the display text to be so big, want to see more display listings on a single screen.

Can I run Lightning DS on an IPad Touch? I too am disappointed that no full release was ever made on Android. Just wondering on whether it is worthwhile to pay for the full version of BubbleUPNP or get a past gen Touch and get use of the dedicated app. Currently using BubbleUPNP on Note4 but the limitation on number of songs able to add to the queue in the free version is annoying also find the resolution of the app annoying, no need for the display text to be so big, want to see more display listings on a single screen.

While iPads are supported I do not believe it will work on an iPod Touch ( I assume that is what you are referring to ) perhaps when software that supports the iPhone is released it will also work on an iPod touch.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Full version of Bubble is excellent

While iPads are supported I do not believe it will work on an iPod Touch ( I assume that is what you are referring to ) perhaps when software that supports the iPhone is released it will also work on an iPod touch.

Few weeks ago Auralic confirmed that the iPhone release works on iPod touch as well.

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

Oh my oh my , iPhone app where art thou ?

In China! :D

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

Oh my oh my , iPhone app where art thou ?

End of November public test drive! (Source: comment from Auralic on Auralic Facebook)

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

End of November public test drive! (Source: comment from Auralic on Auralic Facebook)

I'm about to press the button on purchasing a mini (maybe 2 or 3) but I am waiting for confirmation Lighting DS will be available as an iPhone app. I would like to use it to stream to my existing main hifi and also to form the backbone of a high quality multi room system replacing my existing Airport Expresses.

A couple of questions:

1. Can I use the mini as a traditional Pre amp / DAC and connect it directly to a power amp using it's RCA out. I appreciate it has its own internal DAC but can I use its Lighting DS software to control it's functionality in the same way you can control a preamp with a remote i.e. input selection, volume as well as library management. etc?

2. Does the Lighting DS app work the same way as apple airplay and "remote" app in as much as you can select different apple expresses (minis) in different rooms and stream files from your phone or use your phone to stream files from your computer via your wifi?

3. Is there any other compatible software that will be able control it?

Thanks in advance,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

I'm about to press the button on purchasing a mini (maybe 2 or 3) but I am waiting for confirmation Lighting DS will be available as an iPhone app. I would like to use it to stream to my existing main hifi and also to form the backbone of a high quality multi room system replacing my existing Airport Expresses.

A couple of questions:

1. Can I use the mini as a traditional Pre amp / DAC and connect it directly to a power amp using it's RCA out. I appreciate it has its own internal DAC but can I use its Lighting DS software to control it's functionality in the same way you can control a preamp with a remote i.e. input selection, volume as well as library management. etc?

2. Does the Lighting DS app work the same way as apple airplay and "remote" app in as much as you can select different apple expresses (minis) in different rooms and stream files from your phone or use your phone to stream files from your computer via your wifi?

3. Is there any other compatible software that will be able control it?

Thanks in advance,

Ajax

Good to hear, you're about to buy 2 or 3 Mini's! The iPhone app will absolutely arrive within a few weeks from now. We've seen a working app during the RMAF Audio Show and with the annouced public testing it's almost ready for prime time!

1. Yes, you can. BUT output on the RCA has a high volune. This is why I asked Mr. Xuanqian Wang to have an option to limit the max. volume with a setting in LDS (this could be as easy as prohibiting the volume slider to go any further than a given value between 1 and 100, or to to limit the max output: '100' is - xdB).

2. Yes, you can chose different Mini's from LDS.

Stream from your phone: through bluetooth.

Stream from your computer / NAS: yes. Preferred is to use some kind of upnp media server (like MinimServer). You can connect to a file share directly (SMB).

3. You'll need LDS for initial set-up. Afterwards you can use control software on iOS, Android and your computer. Others have more experience. From what I read here: Kinsky, BubbleUPNP, ...

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

Good to hear, you're about to buy 2 or 3 Mini's! The iPhone app will absolutely arrive within a few weeks from now. We've seen a working app during the RMAF Audio Show and with the annouced public testing it's almost ready for prime time!

1. Yes, you can. BUT output on the RCA has a high volune. This is why I asked Mr. Xuanqian Wang to have an option to limit the max. volume with a setting in LDS (this could be as easy as prohibiting the volume slider to go any further than a given value between 1 and 100, or to to limit the max output: '100' is - xdB).

2. Yes, you can chose different Mini's from LDS.

Stream from your phone: through bluetooth.

Stream from your computer / NAS: yes. Preferred is to use some kind of upnp media server (like MinimServer). You can connect to a file share directly (SMB).

3. You'll need LDS for initial set-up. Afterwards you can use control software on iOS, Android and your computer. Others have more experience. From what I read here: Kinsky, BubbleUPNP, ...

Hi Johan,

Thanks for your replies to my questions .. all understood and very much appreciated.

I like the whole concept of the Mini and placed my order for one today. Initially I will use it for streaming to my main system, and will experiment with both the Mini's DAC, with analogue out into my Devialet 200, and also with the optical and coaxial out into the Devialet's DAC.

Based on the quality of the sound using just the Mini's DAC, and the usability of the software on the iPhone, I will then decide whether to by another one or two for a cost effective high quality multi room system. I have a couple of pairs of high quality older speakers unused, and can buy decent 5 year old power amps for around A$300 on Ebay, so it is not as expensive as it initially seems to use the Mini for a multi room set up.

Based on your answers, and the enthusiastic reports on the quality of the DAC, it should worked well.

FYI I paid A$699 = US$500 at around 72c exchange rate. Only two years ago we had parity with the US dollar, however, our exchange rate has now fallen 30% due to the slowing of China's economy which has resulted in a halving of our main export commodities - iron ore, coal and oil.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

All the best.

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers