IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

This part used to be a defect in an older version of Lightning Ds when using Minimserver. It used to occur after adding new albums to Minimserver and the only way to resolve was to do a full rescan after adding albums to Minimserver. The issue would show up with every album after the album recently added being off by "one" album cover.

Not saying that is the current issue.

"Album covers are interchanged and showing up for the wrong album"

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

All: I have been using the lightning ds app as my tv's music control point from my ipad. since updating to 2.0, the app no longer support non-auralic renderer. Would anyone be kind enough to share a copy of their 1.8 with me? I believe with the 1.8, I could put it back onto my ipad.

Does the andriod version still support non-auralic renderer?

The Android version of Lightning DS is quite buggy still, at least for non-Aries control. Try using a decent third party UPnP control point instead, such as the excellent BubbleUPnP Android app. BubbleUPnP will even be able to get TIDAL, Qobuz and Google Music streamed to your TV (plus the Aries and any other standard UPnP or OpenHome Media supporting streamer too!)

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I've asked a follow-up question about which specific field/tag/frame is used by Lightning DS to determine what Lightning DS calls "Release Date".

The 'Date' tag is recognised by LDS to populate the 'Release Date' index.

Of course, other tags may also be recognised for this index value.

I think I will throw my Aries by the Window.... mad.gif

I use a 2 To USB Drive with 3000 albums (40.000 tracks) and Lightning DS 2.0.1. No NAS or Server, only 1 USB drive.

- Lightning DS takes 20 seconds to open up, and then always propose to "setup lightning device" !?

- when I scroll through the library, it shows very few cover arts, and then, when I stop scrolling, It need few seconds, to update the page to display the rest of cover arts ! On an Aurender with the SAME library, scrolling through the library always show all the cover arts in a fluid manner. Cover arts aren't supposed to be stored in the iPAD ??

- Often Lightning DS loose the Aries device....(No device - Refresh). Need to wait or play around the menus to "reconnect" me ARIES to the Lightning DS...

- Sometime during play back the Aries Lighting DS.... exit. I am back to my iPAD home screen

- The Library on my attached USB HD is often not reconized ("no music library, select one !!) and NOT displayed in the "music library" menue of the set-up menu. So, I need to unplug the HD and plug it again, and often need to rescan the HD ! ... which take for ever !

and

- When all the above work, than, only 25% of the cover art are displayed.. This 3000 Album library comes from the HD of an Aurender, on which ALL 3000 cover arts did show up correctly. So, why a library that show correctly all cover art on an Aurender do not show up correctly on the ARIES !!!

And all the above except the last one also did append when I was just using a small 64 Gb USB Key !

So, unless I find a solution rapidly, I will just buy an AURENDER with the HD inside.... (I believe that version BEFORE 2.0 was MUCH more stable! isn't it ? )

I would advise triying with a different iPad... I know for my own experience that older iPads or ones with lower available memory tend to do that. Keep in mind that from V2 all cover art is apparently stored in the device so it takes more time initially.

Just my 2 cents...

I think I will throw my Aries by the Window.... mad.gif

I use a 2 To USB Drive with 3000 albums (40.000 tracks) and Lightning DS 2.0.1. No NAS or Server, only 1 USB drive.

- Lightning DS takes 20 seconds to open up, and then always propose to "setup lightning device" !?

- when I scroll through the library, it shows very few cover arts, and then, when I stop scrolling, It need few seconds, to update the page to display the rest of cover arts ! On an Aurender with the SAME library, scrolling through the library always show all the cover arts in a fluid manner. Cover arts aren't supposed to be stored in the iPAD ??

- Often Lightning DS loose the Aries device....(No device - Refresh). Need to wait or play around the menus to "reconnect" me ARIES to the Lightning DS...

- Sometime during play back the Aries Lighting DS.... exit. I am back to my iPAD home screen

- The Library on my attached USB HD is often not reconized ("no music library, select one !!) and NOT displayed in the "music library" menue of the set-up menu. So, I need to unplug the HD and plug it again, and often need to rescan the HD ! ... which take for ever !

and

- When all the above work, than, only 25% of the cover art are displayed.. This 3000 Album library comes from the HD of an Aurender, on which ALL 3000 cover arts did show up correctly. So, why a library that show correctly all cover art on an Aurender do not show up correctly on the ARIES !!!

And all the above except the last one also did append when I was just using a small 64 Gb USB Key !

So, unless I find a solution rapidly, I will just buy an AURENDER with the HD inside.... (I believe that version BEFORE 2.0 was MUCH more stable! isn't it ? )

Hello bmichels - you have a lot of patience, I commend you for that. I am curious if you have opened a support ticket with Auralic and/or your dealer and what their response has been? This certainly rates as a less than stellar experience, and it seems that all support comes from Auralic as the dealers by and large don't seem to have alot of experience with these devices. Perhaps I am wrong.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Hello bmichels - you have a lot of patience, I commend you for that. I am curious if you have opened a support ticket with Auralic and/or your dealer and what their response has been? This certainly rates as a less than stellar experience, and it seems that all support comes from Auralic as the dealers by and large don't seem to have alot of experience with these devices. Perhaps I am wrong.

I just opened a support ticket with Auralic. Will see what they say...

The 'Date' tag is recognised by LDS to populate the 'Release Date' index.

Of course, other tags may also be recognised for this index value.

alandbush,

I'm new to tagging so please help me understand what tag LDS (and Linn Kazoo) use to put albums into Date Folders. I have 67 date folders...all but one of which are named by year (i.e., 2014, 2013, etc.) based on what I assume to be FLAC Tag "DATE". However one folder is entitled "2009-12-01" and contains one downloaded album. The YEAR field in Yate (and iTunes) shows as 2009. However both Linn Kazoo and LDS show a "2009-12-01" folder. Using Yate i couldn't locate any field on the album's tracks that has "2009-12-01" as a value. Any help in solving this mystery would be appreciated.

As for the Date tag being recognized by LDS, apparently there is an issue with how LDS recognizes the data for some of us...all but one album for me shows up with a Year "0". Only one that shows up with correct "date" is the album listed in the "2009-12-01" folder...which correctly shows up as 2009 under the "Release Date" filter. (Have an open ticket with Aurelic on this topic.)

QNAP TS-251-->Netgear GS116 Switch--->Asus router--->wireless to Aurelic Aries--->USB to NAD M51--->Bryston B135--->Thiel CS 2.7 speakers

alandbush,

I'm new to tagging so please help me understand what tag LDS (and Linn Kazoo) use to put albums into Date Folders. I have 67 date folders...all but one of which are named by year (i.e., 2014, 2013, etc.) based on what I assume to be FLAC Tag "DATE". However one folder is entitled "2009-12-01" and contains one downloaded album. The YEAR field in Yate (and iTunes) shows as 2009. However both Linn Kazoo and LDS show a "2009-12-01" folder. Using Yate i couldn't locate any field on the album's tracks that has "2009-12-01" as a value. Any help in solving this mystery would be appreciated.

As for the Date tag being recognized by LDS, apparently there is an issue with how LDS recognizes the data for some of us...all but one album for me shows up with a Year "0". Only one that shows up with correct "date" is the album listed in the "2009-12-01" folder...which correctly shows up as 2009 under the "Release Date" filter. (Have an open ticket with Aurelic on this topic.)

I presume you are referring to the Folder view DATE index for your first query.

I suggest this is compiled from a number of tags such as "Date" and "Year" (there may be others) together with a priority order. For the LDS, it appears to use "Date" and if not present "Year".

Your second query appears to refer to Library view/Release date index.

This does not use the "Year" tag and if the "Date" tag (and unknown others) are not present, or in an incorrect format, it defaults to a value of zero.

My Aries is hosed up AGAIN. I don't know if others are experiencing this problem, but twice recently, when playing from NAS and skipping around songs on an album, the Aries just freezes and stops playing. Only the display and power buttons will work on the remote, LDS is completely unable get get the Aries going again, and closing and reopening the LDS app just causes LDS to not be able to see my Aries. The only thing that will get it going again is power cycling at the LPSU.

This is the third problem recently added to an existing support ticket with no response yet from Auralic. Their original response was a network problem, which is bunk. Everything else on my network is functioning fine - the only common denominator in these issues is the Aries. Frustrating...

Update: I should add that I'm using Lightning Server streaming from a Synology NAS.

Hey groovy - are you using Minimserver on your NAS or are you using Auralic's Lightning Server software?

Regardless I concur - these things are supposed to make life easier and more enjoyable - not the latter.

Flac use ogg vorbis tags and it use "date" while aiff and alac use id3 and it use "year".

some conversion software doesn't properly convert tag formats while converting files.

Slavo,

Thx. All of my music was converted to Apple lossless using iTunes. The iTunes "YEAR" field is the only date-related field I've used. I think they were properly converted because in the Lightnng DS folder view, I have 66 sub-folders based on years under the "Date" folder.

However I'm still puzzled as to what field's value is set to "2009-12-01" for one downloaded album. Using Yate I can see three potential date-related fields: YEAR, ORIGINAL RELEASE TIME, AND RELEASE TIME. I've checked all three fields for the tracks that are found it that folder and cannot find that value in any date-related fields.

At this point I'm stumped as to why the one album shows up under a date-specific folder.

I've posed the question on the Yate forum and have provided technical information about my files to Aurelic which is working on improvements on how LDS handles the "YEAR" tag. I've also suggested that they look at how the ID3 Frame v. 2.4 "TDRC" is handled as well as m4a Atom "©day".

QNAP TS-251-->Netgear GS116 Switch--->Asus router--->wireless to Aurelic Aries--->USB to NAD M51--->Bryston B135--->Thiel CS 2.7 speakers

bplexico:

Using Lightning Server - I added that to my note, but must've done it as you were posting.

Were you using Minimserver previously? I suspect that using that rather than Lightning Server would resolve your issues. But of course that is just a wild a** guess. Sounds like support ticket time. Sorry I cross posted. Best of luck, I would continuing being persistant.

I presume you are referring to the Folder view DATE index for your first query.

I suggest this is compiled from a number of tags such as "Date" and "Year" (there may be others) together with a priority order. For the LDS, it appears to use "Date" and if not present "Year".

Your second query appears to refer to Library view/Release date index.

This does not use the "Year" tag and if the "Date" tag (and unknown others) are not present, or in an incorrect format, it defaults to a value of zero.

alanbush,

You're correct on the first query...I am referring to the Folder view DATE index. I understand that potential date-related fields could include:

FLAC tag = "YEAR"

ID3 Frame = "TDRC" in v.2.4 and "TYER" in v. 2.3

m4a Atom = "©day"

as well as:

FLAC tag = "ORIGINAL YEAR"

ID3 frame = "TDOR" in v2.4 and "TORY" in v.2.3

m4a Atom - "ORIGINAL YEAR"

and

FLAC tag = "RELEASETIME"

ID3 frame = "TDRL" in v2.4 and in v.2.3

m4a Atom - "RELEASETIME"

Is there a "Date" tag in FLAC, ID3 or m4a Atom? I couldn't find it in Yate Help (which is the source of the above information).

On the 2nd query, you are correct...Aurelic has told me that they are working on a fix.

bplexico:

Was previously using the native renderer in the Synology, with LDS set to Open Home. I started using Lightning Server with the 2.0 release as it cleaned up metadata problems when using 1.8 with the native renderer.

I've had issues on and off from the start with the Aries and quite frankly consider the platform relatively unstable. Whether Minimserver solves my problem or not, I believe Auralic needs to work on the stability and reliability of this platform. I'm losing interest, but don't know that any of the alternatives have equivalent features and are any better.

@groovy - I cannot argue with you, regardless of whether it is a firmware, Lighting Server or Lighting DS issue it must be pretty frustrating, not actually what you signed up for when you made a rather significant purchase. Out of curiosity what do you have your Aries sending output to?

Do you still find the sound quality and convenience ( when it works ) better than using a Mac/PC?

Barr

p.s do you really play bass? If yes do you know what a Parker Fly bass is?

My Aries is hosed up AGAIN. I don't know if others are experiencing this problem, but twice recently, when playing from NAS and skipping around songs on an album, the Aries just freezes and stops playing. Only the display and power buttons will work on the remote, LDS is completely unable get get the Aries going again, and closing and reopening the LDS app just causes LDS to not be able to see my Aries. The only thing that will get it going again is power cycling at the LPSU.

This is the third problem recently added to an existing support ticket with no response yet from Auralic. Their original response was a network problem, which is bunk. Everything else on my network is functioning fine - the only common denominator in these issues is the Aries. Frustrating...

Update: I should add that I'm using Lightning Server streaming from a Synology NAS.

I've had a similar problem off and on... Check if "Lightning Device" is checked or unchecked in the settings menu when this happens. In my case it gets unchecked and I need to do a fulll power cycle to get out of that state. This is only related to LDS 2.0.1... everything works fine with 1.8. And no, I haven't got network problems.

I have exactly the same problem with the new Lightning Server.

My feeling is that there still are some problems for Auralic to sort out in the new FW.

Will use Minimserver for the time being, it works perfectly without any problems.

bplexico:

Was previously using the native renderer in the Synology, with LDS set to Open Home. I started using Lightning Server with the 2.0 release as it cleaned up metadata problems when using 1.8 with the native renderer.

I've had issues on and off from the start with the Aries and quite frankly consider the platform relatively unstable. Whether Minimserver solves my problem or not, I believe Auralic needs to work on the stability and reliability of this platform. I'm losing interest, but don't know that any of the alternatives have equivalent features and are any better.

Well... I'm afraid alternatives have the same problems or worse. There's a category of netwerkplayers with streaming client and integrated DAC (Pioneer, Marantz, NAIM amongst others). Pure streamers with USB output are few. Mac/PC might be a technical alternative, but have less 'design appeal' and might be rejected by your other half :) Currently I use Audirvana on a MacBook. Have a look at the forum here at CA and you'll see all kind of problems. In a few cases these are caused by software glitches independent of any set-up, but for most these are caused by different environments. I'm leaving the Mac platform and bought an Aries Mini as I'm tired of all version issues, driver problems and quircks of my MacBook (and any other computer) that are not related at all to the music software. Auralic Aries is IMHO the best promise of an all-in-one solution for both server and renderer, certainly with a built-in SSD in the Aries Mini streamer while being capable to adapt to future improvements and developments.

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

Power cycling from the LPSU always solves the problem, but having to do that multiple times each week is annoying. I'm really not interested in loading Minimserver, but may have to go that route if I stick with the Aries.

bplexico:

I am a former electric bass player, but haven't done it seriously for many years. I've seen pics of the Parker Fly bass, but have never seen one in the flesh. My favorite basses are from Mike Lull in Bellevue, WA - built like a tank, play like a dream and never need adjustments.

Update to bplexico:

I use the USB output of the Aries to a Mojo Audio Mystique II DAC and I find the sound much better than from a PC/MAC, which makes the software glitches slightly more bearable. If the sound wasn't there, I would have ditched the Aries long ago.