IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

Not sure whether to post here or the hardware thread. Just connected my Aries. I'm insanely new to this stuff, so be warned. Hopefully someone will take pity.

I don't have a NAS set up yet, but I just installed Minimserver on my MacBook Pro. It seems to have loaded my file folder, and the Lightning DS app found the library.

In the DS app, under the Device tab, it does not yet recognise the Aries. It actually recognises 3 Sonos devices in other areas of the house, but the Aries, only a few feet away, isn't showing up. My wifi should be robust enough.

There's probably something simple I'm supposed to do, but not sure what it is yet. Someone willing to help a brutha?

anyone have a simple answer as to why my minim server library just all of sudden "duplicated" itself on my DS app? in the albums view, I have 2 copies of every album all of a sudden.

One of them shows no tracks when I open it up, and the other one shows TRIPLE copies of each track....

and playback is acting weird too.......grrrrrrr

I'm thinking that Wang is an extremely intelligent engineer who has a true talent in developing great sounding hardware. I don't think very many companies are good at both hardware and software.....it's very impressive the ones that are.

Time will tell. If they truly put in the time, and have the ability to work on the software side, I will be a very happy customer.

I "graduated" from the Squeezebox/LMS because I wanted something better sounding and more "elegant". I see the elegance in this app, but there are bugs crawling all over it.

Patience......patience.....like a mantra lol

I'm thinking that Wang is an extremely intelligent engineer who has a true talent in developing great sounding hardware. I don't think very many companies are good at both hardware and software.....it's very impressive the ones that are.

Time will tell. If they truly put in the time, and have the ability to work on the software side, I will be a very happy customer.

I "graduated" from the Squeezebox/LMS because I wanted something better sounding and more "elegant". I see the elegance in this app, but there are bugs crawling all over it.

Patience......patience.....like a mantra lol

I simply restarted minimserver, and did a minimserver "rescan", and my DS library was right again.

And to add to the list of dumb questions, other than folder view, how can i view just my DSD Albums (file type equals DSF) or just my High Resolution albums ( 24 bits or greater)?

Hey, you weren't supposed to AGREE that it was a dumb question!

Still hoping someone can answer it for me. I'm assuming the people here who are using Qobuz are in countries other than the US. But maybe a yankee or two around here know a way to get it to work stateside. A proxy or something?

Ted indicated no earlier than Q4 in US.

In regards to your question on a proxy, explore the proxy options discussed in these threads, note these are downloading music not leveraging the streaming service, so probably a dead path. One member reported contacting them to open a US based account and they enabled it for him.

The threads I am referencing are located here:http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-audiophile-downloads/qobuz-12260/

and here:

Is it possible to download from Qobuz to the US?

Best of luck! I would be interested to know if you are successful.

Success!!

I simply emailed Qobuz explaining how awesome I am and how I so deserve to be one of the few lucky Americans who deserves to have access to their services. And would you believe it, a few hours later I got a response saying that they have granted me access and when I went back to the site I was able to activate a hi fi subscription. Now streaming redbook through my Aries!

P.S. I had already set up an account before emailing them. You can do that for free with just an email address.

Man I'm having weird issues with DS reading and displaying my albums by ARTIST. I started reorganising things with a well regarded Mac based tagging software called Metadatics. I'm trying to clean up all tag categories and making sure the artist name is correctly noted for each album.

When I refresh things and view it in the Lumin app, in artist view, it displays the albums properly in the proper order with the name of the album, and then the name of the artist right below it, alphabetised by artist as I've asked it to do.

In the DS app, when I set it to artist view, it will have the albums listed alphabetically by artist, but under the cover art and album name, it will identify the artist by the freaking ALBUM name with the artist name listed AFTER the album name. .....so I've got the album name shown twice with no artist name visible, because there isn't room for it to show the artist name in this view. Weird. All my tags are properly notated, and Lumin verifies this, as it is getting it right. I've refreshed and also completely reloaded the library.

I'm not expecting any solutions, as we're all noticing these little things. And someone may have already mentioned this one too. bplexico has covered a LOT!

It was nice to get a firmware update a couple of days ago. Hoping for an app update very soon.

Ok, one more for the evening, I have noticed that the Lighting DS application, when sorting albums seems to be case sensitive, and sorts first by upper case and then by lower case, illustrated here. I did check Lumin application and it is case insensitive in the sort. If it was me, I prefer a case insensitive search.

See the last two albums that start with a "w".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14060[/ATTACH]

Based on my last post just above, bplexico, did you notice that your DS is doing the same thing I just described? Look at the very Liz Phair album you just pointed out in your attached image. You commented on it being lower case, but what I notice is that instead of the artist name, you get the album name listed twice. So the answer to my question about others having this issue was staring me right in the face lol

Any thoughts bplexico?

Mr. Wang has let me know that they are aware of the Artist view errors .I have the same issues as I like to look at artist view and there are albums littered all over place.

The Lumin app has everthing in perfect order ,artists and albums.

This is supposed to be fixed on an upcoming software update to the Lighning DS app.

Good to know. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
btw, the battery drain of my ipad with the LDS running is severe. have to close the app completely to stop the bleeding. otherwise, if the app is running even in the background i could watch the percentage of the battery charge going down

I noticed that too. Thought it was just an old iPad with a weak battery....hmmmmm

• 2 weeks later...
So I guess the good news is the code change works. The mildly discomforting fact may be that two people who never changed their settings have different settings....maybe this proves the existence of a parallel universe.

That being said, great progress with this application over the past releases. Better alerts when it is updating the library, downloading music covers, if a music server is offline, resolution of reported issues, I am impressed with the progress on both the firmware and software front. I no longer use the Lumin application and am exclusively using the Lightning DS application.

My outstanding wish relates to an easier method to identify DSD and High resolution material short of folder view.

+1.

I agree with all of the above.

In addition (and I bet this has been mentioned somewhere previously), I would love for artist view to ignore the word "The" in bands that begin with this word, and alphabetise a band like The Beatles with the "B's" instead of the "T's". Is that an easy Minimserver setting, or should I wait for Lightning DS to address this in a future update?

• 2 weeks later...
How to sort Artists such as "The Beatles" under the letter "B" and not the letter "T"

This question was posed a week or so back and not being a Minimserver expert I have been playing with the tagging options to get this to work, initially I got it to work for sorting of artists when in FOLDER view on the Lightning DS application but not when sorting by Artist in Library view. At last I have success!

So I am using Minimserver in conjunction with the Lightning DS application.

You need to make a change to your property file for Minimserver, you can do this using Minimwatch on your PC, Mac, whatever.

Choose properties in Minimwatch.

Go to the setting, "tagOptions"

Enter the following into tagOptions - "Album.sortTags={Album, Artist}, artist.ignore.*={The}"

Re-start Minimserver and re-scan.

Next on the Lightning DS application choose Music Library under Settings. Select your music server and choose Refresh data.

When complete you will find that "The" is ignored when sorting by Artist. So "The Beatles" show up under "B". "The Rolling Stones" show up under "R" etc. The artist name will appear in the format "Beatles, The"

This does not impact how albums are sorted, so albums that start with "The" will still be sorted under "T", i.e. "The Wall" by Pink Floyd will show up under "T". If you also want to apply the sorting rule I showed for Artist to albums as well that can be done.

Enjoy.

Barr

Wow. That was easy! *sarcastic smirk*

Thanks a lot for figuring this one out!!

• 7 months later...

Here's a question I've waited too long to ask, and I'm hoping I'm missing something simple and silly.

I've seen multiple references from both Auralic as well as users or reviewers referencing the fact that we can currently create playlists with a mix of library tracks AND Tidal tracks. Yet I see no mechanism in the software that allows me to do this.

Am I missing something? I'm fully updated. Thanks as always!

I am probably missing the point of your question, but just in case, you are aware of the Playlists feature to build playlists? I don't have Tidal so I have only added tracks that are on my music server to it. I also just looked at the Aries firmware release notes and you will need to wait for the release of Lightning DS 2.0 for support of a mixed playlist ( which is what you are asking for ).

• Device now allows mixed playing queue from local music files and streaming (waiting fornew Lightning DS V2.0 to enable this function).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18334[/ATTACH]

I have a feeling that I misinterpreted the way the software notes use the present tense "now". Yep, I've used the playlist function separately for both Tidal and my own library.

Well, it's May now and Munich is right around the corner. Bring on 2.0.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for some clarity regarding some DS features that I find a bit confusing, or perhaps I am just wishful that the app could do some things that it currently doesn't. I do realise that sometime in the very near future we will see V2.0, but it isn't here yet, so here goes.

In Library mode, if you select an album, the window appears highlighting the album cover, info, tracklist, etc. It also offers us the little "+" symbol, allowing us to add to a collection, queue, or playlist. It is the "collection" option I am thinking about.

If you do the same task in the Tidal library, instead of "collection" it offers you the option of "favourite". So if we're cool with that, here's what I want to do but can't, so it seems:

I would love to be able to create multiple "collections", not just of tracks, but of albums, with titles such as "MFSL Reissues", or "Favorite Blue Note Albums", or "Awesome Boy Band Classic Albums". You get the picture, minus the last one. As far as I can tell, there is no difference between "collection" and "favourite". And there's no option to create more than one. This has bummed me out for a long time now. Anyone have knowledge of an option I am missing, OR, if this might be a feature added to V2?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This is an iOS compatibility problem. We submit at 27th when there is no iOS8.4....

Any one whom is effected, please send me the UUID of your device, I will send a temporally version through email.

Just removed the 2.0 from App store and requested another review...

How do I find the UUID for my device?

Yesterday I excitedly updated my DS and it was working. This morning I learn that the new version was pulled, and now my DS app on my iPad is "grayed out". It thinks it needs to update but can't. And as far as I can tell, at the moment auralic has not put the previous version back up on the App Store. I'm stuck with nothing. A third party app will have to do perhaps.

Frustrating.

So, consider that your user & psw are correct, is your syntax smb://192.168.1.xxx/folder_name?

I reckon you have to use the full path, e.g. 192.168.1.xxx/Volume1/Music

The IP address is the NAS address.

This information is what I was planning to inquire about here today! However, I am one of those guys that doesn't even know how to identify my NAS' IP address! And even when I find it, I'll still probably somehow enter the network path improperly! So....I'm looking for a bit more direction on how to make this happen.

I have a Synology NAS and running Minimserver, just like many of you. Wanna give Lightning Server a try. Who is up for a minor challenge? lol

One easy way of doing this is to download the Fing app from Apple store.

If you don't remember your NAS mac address, it should still say Synology within this app, associated with its current IP address.

Note that if your NAS is on DHCP, you might risk that it will get another IP address than the current one during initialization (if it is not reserved in your router DHCP table).

I truly wish I knew what this meant lol. So downloading a third party app is the easiest way to identify the IP address? I should add that I can log into the Synology software on my MacBook.

Mounting my NAS on my network and the correct drive path in the LightningServer library now works successfully. Manny more of my album covers are now displayed and also with a better resolution. Also double album are sorted in a better way and all the right side filters in the library view works perfect.

The only issue now that the library will not Refresh Cache after adding new music. It's only "spinning" for 15 seconds and go back to library view without anything happened. I now using a brand new iPad Air 2 for the Lightning DS App. Is this a general bug in version 2.0.1 ??

I think I'm having the same issue. Just got LightningServer up and running yesterday. Just added an album to my NAS folder, and the DS app does not see it. Manually "refreshed cache", rebooted app, not there.

Thoughts?