IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

So I spent some time with Xuanqian Wang at CES this past week. We chatted about a number of things, including the questions many of you posted here.

As many of you now know, the MQA partnership program has supposedly changed quite a bit over the past few days. At one point there was going to be a debate over those units that do software decoding in the front-end (Aries) and then send already-decoded-MQA-material to a non-MQA dac.....versus.....doing it in the back-end (DAC) via an MQA-capable DAC. That debate seems to have been put on hold as MQA has halted the rollout of MQA processing in front ends; this means Aries will not be doing MQA processing, but instead simply allowing MQA content (i.e Tidal) to pass unharmed to an MQA-capable DAC.

Upsampling in Aries: not at all high on Auralic's radar. The much higher project is going to be room correction in Aries (to be determined).

Roon-ready: It is contained in this next 3.0 firmware update, but after seeing Lightning 2.4 (iPhone) I am not so sure those of you without Roon will want to pay for something that is similarly provided in this next major upgrade of Lightning, for free! It is Roon-like in many ways, and in a number of ways (zone management, etc) maybe even more capable...and free. But, those of us with Roon, it will be an option so that Aries shows up as a Roon zone, simple and straight-forward.

UPnP: not at all on Auralic radar. UPnP is a huge step backward from what Lightning is doing in OpenHome (and OH improvements) so Squeezebox capability is not likely an impetus to try and deal with all the pitfalls of UPnP.

The Auralic team is growing, has huge plans for Aries and Lightning, and left me with a feeling that they have clear visions of providing way more functionality in the future.

Nice update Ted. Did you get the impression when he discussed future functionality that it would be more a hardware or software issue?

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.