IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

The only thing I know to recommend is to kill all apps on iPad (double tap home button and swipe up on all open apps) delete the cache in DS, rescan your library in Minimserver and then refresh DS and see if anything fixes itself.

I was having this problem and followed the above. Now my music library is empty? When it scans I can see it scanning all of the albums but the end result is nothing!

Are you sure you're in regular stream mode for Network playback and say not TIDAL mode? That's all I can think of. I leave my ARIES and Vega on 24/7 and it doesn't have an issue.

On second thought. Power off the ARIES and power it back on. It might have lost wireless signal and got it goofed up. Try it and let us know.

I tried a lot of different things including restarting everything.

As a test, I just added a new playlist which is a duplication of one I already created - it works fine but the old one doesn't with exactly the same tracks? When you select the older one, it loads the tracks, goes to play and then stops almost immediately.

I'll look at it again tomorrow - it's late here and the thought of doing them all again is making me tired ;)

• 4 weeks later...
So when I create a playlist, it works for a few days but then it stops being able to play. The list is there but the album art doesn't appear anymore and the songs won't play. Any ideas/solutions others have found (or is this just me)?

John

Same here. Does this happen if you clear the cache?

All uPnP control software like Lumin, Kinsky as well as current version of Lightning DS will this problem. This is because the DLNA server IP has changed since last time you create the playlist. All uPnP control software's playlist function is to save the absolute streaming address like 'http://192.168.1.100/albuem/track.flac'. When the IP has changed, the link wont work and the playlist is unplayable.

The resolution are:

1, fix the IP of NAS drive or the computer that running server software

2, wait for new 2.0 version of Lightning DS which we will introduce a patenting technology to mach the server without using IP address.

Thank you sir,

easy then - I will fix the IP address of my NAS to make sure I don't have to create playlists again :)

• 1 month later...
Is anyone having issues when streaming from Qobuz and it jumps to the next track mid track?

Its very infrequent.........

I had this exact issue when trialling Tidal, here was their reply to my query on it:

This sounds like a dropout issue. It simply can't deliver the data fast enough and then stops. Could be a variety of things.

1) Where are you geographically?

2) What's the speed of your network?

3) Is it running through a router, if so - what's the setup?

4) Is it random or possible to reproduce (specific tracks, time of day etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

Right from the start I have had the software volume control disabled, which I assume defaults to 100% output. I am feeding a DEQX PreMate/DAC that I originally had at 100% volume and all volume control was done by my integrated amp. The DEQX has a light that comes on when there is clipping and it was activating on certain tracks. After talking to DEQX I have dropped the volume of the DAC by a few db and there has been no problem since.

It got me wondering......what if I enable the LDS volume and drop that by a few db instead? Also, it would be handy to control the volume from my iPad from time to time.

Does anyone use the LDS volume and have any feedback on whether or not it makes any difference or at what point it does? I would also be curious about Auralic's view on this......

Since you are the one actually listening to your system, I recommend that you try for yourself and judge for yourself. If you prefer the sound of option A, but some "authority" says use option B, are you going to use B? I hope not. If you personally hear no difference in the options then use the option which is most convenient for you.

Yeah, fair enough - my A/B listening doesn't reveal any difference to my ears. Out of curiosity I'd still be interested if anyone uses the LDS volume control - it seems to have a pretty decent lag effect from time to time.

Backwell, the key is that anytime you make changes to your music library if you are using Minimserver, then you need to either re start Minimserver or invoke the "Re-scan" command via Minimwatch. That way Minimserver will detect any changes and modifications to your music library.

If you are running the Lightning DS application once the above occurs the changes are sent to the Lightning DS application. And it is at that point that your artwork (cover art) is messed up.

To fix the cover art merely force quit Lightning DS as noted previously in this thread and re launch Lightning DS and no more issue with cover art.

1. To force the application to close:
    • Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps.
    • Swipe left to find the app you want to close.
    • Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

I have found that this will fix the cover art in the main library but not anything saved in "collection". Also, playlist artwork has disappeared since adding new content.

• 2 weeks later...
Updated LDS to v1.7:

When touching the radio station section LDS crashes. (also after full close).

Had few stations defined prior to updating.

Is this just with me?

Any suggestions?

-----------------------------

Took the radical step to remove the Lightning DS app completely and boot the iPad.

Reintalled afterwards.

Now working but of course lost library cache, saved playlists cache, defined radio stations.....

Would love to see a function for saving playlists and other settings.

Yep, mine crashes. I won't resort to your fix yet.....I'll see if there is another workaround that comes out first.

• 3 weeks later...
Kind of funny to read the 'complaints' about Lightning DS. I currently don't own an Aries, but am still on the Mac platform (Audirvana /iTunes) and looking for a better solution. I can assure you, that Lightning DS is heaven. I know the NAIM app as well. AMG integration is nice ('CD booklet and internet resources), (AllMusic | Music Search, Recommendations, Videos and Reviews) but the Lightning app looks much better! Maybe one day I will join you on the Aries platform. Thanks wdw for the initial hint!

I think there are are plenty of Aries owners that are very happy with LDS including me. After coming from using the clunky user interface on my Oppo, LDS is heaven. A big point here is that we have a company that is looking to make constant improvements and have been reactive to user feedback, so there is a tendency for users to make lots of "suggestions" ;)

The only real issue I have with LDS is trying to use Songcast. I can probably get it to start working 10% of the time at the most and if I can't, it seems to then make everything else flaky which then requires a power reset on the Aries. I don't know if this is an Auralic issue or a Linn issue, I'm hoping it's an Auralic issue so it will be fixed in an update :)

My apology if the following has been asked before.

I noticed some differences in the way Lightning DS displays the tech details of a playing track: sampling rate, bit depth & streaming bit rate.

For example, when playing a 24/192 FLAC track from a NAS running MinimServer, LDS displays:

192Khz 32bit 9.216Mbps (fixed)

When playing the same track from a USB flash drive plugged into Aries, LDS displays:

192kHz 24bit 5.7-7Mbps (varying)

Are you transcoding to WAV through Minimserver? If I recall correctly, mine started displaying that way once I added Minimstreamer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
New LDS version is now available. Caution is recommend for this update, since compatibility with third-party OpenHome renderers is now broken (my case, actually)... :(

Thanks!

If I recall correctly on previous versions, you had to delete the old version and add the new one rather than update. I wonder if this is still the case......