IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

Hello Rob,

after trying both – wired and wireless –, I am using the wired connection Netgear duo NAS, Audioquest Diamond RJ45, Airport extreme, Audioquest Diamond RJ45, Aries.

IMHO the SQ is much better then over the wireless connection.

Best,

Matthias

Smoother and more 'natural' is the result by close-in jitter effect usually under +/-50Hz. This could be introduced by some low frequency noise coupled into circuit though LAN cable either by source component or just the cable pick up. But dont worry about that, we are listening to music, not test data so just stick with what you preferred :)

Exactly my thoughts.... The cables are the same I have been using in my previous setup with a Linn Akurate DS1. In this setup I did not have the choice between wireless and wired.

I prefered Audioquest Diamonds over a lot of other different lan cables I tried, so they went into the new setup.

I did try the wireless option, but to my „taste“ the „wired sound“ is a lot more to my liking.

In the end its all about relaxing and enjoying the music.

Everybody should (and will of course) do, what feels (sounds) best to his/her ears.

Best,

Matthias

How much of your LAN uses the Audioquest cables ?

I do operate on 2 lans.

My lan for HiFi is separate from the lan to access the internet.

I do run a Fritzbox for accessing the internet with my Macs, printing and running a personal NAS for other data than music.

The second one is a Airport express solely for transferring Data from the NAS to the Aries and accessing the Aries via w-lan from my iPad air.

So, my HIFI lan is using only Audioquest Diamond cables.

large_7d0891.jpg

For booting the Aries and updating the firmware I connect the Aries directly to my Fritzbox.

I have done that, because I want as little traffic on my HiFi lan, as possible.

What I did find out and do dislike, is that the Aries does have to have access to the internet to be able to boot.

I think this should be fixed by Auralic.

Best,

Matthias

You dont need an Internet connection to boot ARIES, the device will 1) check and download latest firmware; 2) get current system time from Internet; However both are not a must be to boo up the unit.

Hello Mr. Wang,

since You stated the Aries does not need an internet connection to boot I tried it again.

After the Aries was still showing „Aries starting“ in its display after 35 Minutes had passed, I stopped this……… – let us call it experiment –

Might still be true that the device will end its booting sequence within the next 30 Minutes or so……

Sorry, but this is nothing I would call „being acceptable“.

My opinion still is that this is an issue that will be have to be fixed by Auralic with the next firmware upgrade.

B.t.w.: Booting time being connected to the internet is 52 seconds in my case.

Best,

Matthias

I think you probably disconnected ARIES from network rather than Internet...

Hello Mr. Wang,

even though, I do not know, what this should have to do with my test:

During my last test, the Aries had been all the time connected to my Airport extreme which has been connected to my Netgear Nas, like all the time it is, when I do use the unit to listen to music.

If I have to adjust anything in the LDS to make the unit boot without internet, please advise, what I can do.

(As I did notice, this seems to be of interest to a few other owners as well)

Best,

Matthias

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mr. Wang,

could You kindly inform the community what file systems will be supported by the future USB storagge device external support.

This will give everybody the chance to prepare the USB devices prior to the appearance of the firmware update that will make the USB support possible.

Thank You for a short reply.

Best,

Matthias

• 2 months later...
Is anyone else having problems getting the Aries to show up as a device in LDS app upon repeated reuse?

I have successful installed and setup both the Aries and the LDS app. I have connected the Aries with my NAS, used streaming internet radio, Tidal, and Airplay streaming all without problem. I now have the Aries connected to a PS Audio DSD that feeds a dedicated setup in my listening room and I use the single ended outputs from the PSA DSD to drive an audio distribution amp that feeds my whole house audio system (replaced a Squeezebox Transporter).

I often find when I try to access the Aries via LDS, the LDS doesn't see my Aries. It discovers many other UPnP devices on my network but not the Aries. I have to do a hard power restart and then the LDS shows up immediately. It will work fine for that use but if I come back a day or two later, I usually have to repeat the restart process. I have tried restarting the LDS app on my iPad but that doesn't help, only a hard power down seems to bring the Aries back online.

Aries is connected to my network via WiFi as are some of my other UPnP servers.

Occasionally the same with my Aries after the last firmware update.

Never had this before.

I do have to switch the Aries off on the PSU to make the unit appear after switching it on again. Switching off and then on again via remote does not help.

All librarys are seen if the Aries is not recogniced on the network, so the wifi connection from iPad air to my Airport Extreme is all right. Next time I will look with Fing, if the Aries IP is recognized on the network.

Mine is connected via wire, so I assume this bug is not related to the wifi connection.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Speaking of iOS - I have not updated my iPad to iOS 9 for fear of breaking LDS. Anyone upgraded yet? I did a mess thank exhaustive search and did not find a mention. For what it's worth, LDS has always worked for me whether with minimserver or lightening. The history of this thread compels me to state that :)

My wife has the same model of mine, so I can use hers a a Guinea pig if needed...

No issues with IOS 9 on iPad 4th gen. and iPad Air 2 here as well.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

- Add radio station (except those in My Stations) to collection in full screen queue interface (iPhone)

- Share radio station in full screen queue interface (iPhone)

- You can click 'XXX Files' notice in music library setting page to see the path of file that is been scanned by Lightning Server now (iPhone, iPad)

- Hit system navigation bar on any interface to return to top of the list (iPhone, iPad)

Improvement:

- Search function performance enhancement (iPhone)

- Show album cover as avatar for Composer in search result (iPhone)

- Other user interface optimization (iPhone)

- Auto re-login streaming account after current session expired (iPhone)

- Popup notice for login failure if streaming account password has been changed (iPhone)

- Startup procedure improvement (iPad)

- Lightning device and music library setup guide optimization (iPhone, iPad)

- Add App start URL, you can start the app by enter LightningDS:// (iPhone, iPad)

Fixes:

- App crash after music library content has changed (iPhone)

- App crash when import streaming collection and playlist (iPhone)

- App crash when click Qobuz Playlist (iPhone)

- App crash if search local music immediately after import a music library (iPhone)

- Full text search index wont update after music library has changed (iPhone)

- Duplicate search result in My Music section (iPhone)

- Multiple keywords in search functions wont cross match each other (iPhone)

- Artist avatar wont show up in search result (iPhone)

- Composer search result match number is incorrect (iPhone)

- Unable to search file sampling rate (iPhone)

- Data in Qobuz>My Favorite been handled incorrectly (iPhone)

- Music Library show as empty after specific operation (iPhone)

- Poor album cover quality in 'FROM THIS ARTIST' section (iPhone)

- Streaming content in Collection could not been removed automatically after sign out streaming account (iPhone)

- Favorite mark of radio stations does not show up correctly (iPhone)

- Other user interface fixes (iPhone)

- Only first 40 tracks in streaming album, playlist can show up and be added to queue (iPad)

- Unable to set ARIES IP manually (iPad)

- System navigation bar wont hide in full screen queue (iPad)

- M4A file shows up as 0bit during playback (iPhone, iPad)

- Play time for radio station show up incorrectly (iPhone, iPad)