IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

I received my Aries Mini yesterday and I'm having the strangest time getting Lightning DS to finish scanning my library. Everything is set up correctly. The app finds my shared folder on my network, it begins scanning and no matter what, it stops at file 33690 (I have about 41000 files). I have tried resetting everything, I have tried wired and wireless setups, made sure my router firmware is the latest and have done everything I know to do. Has anyone else had this issue? Or any advice on how to get the scan to finish? The mini does me no good if I can't access my collection.

Just a wild guess - but it sounds like maybe it got stuck on a media file it can't understand.

Any chance you can run MinimServer on the device where your files are stored? If you can this will get you up and running. MinimServer will just skip over problematic files and write the errors to a log file.

Thanks kennyb123. I'm thinking the same thing. I've installed MinimServer and it's scanning my folder now. Do I then go back into the Lightning DS app and set this up through the Server or choose my own DLNA server? EDIT: I got it. Wow, that really worked! Amazing. I've been beating my head against this for a day. Thank you for your help. There were some files that MinimServer skipped because of bad tags.

Awesome - glad it worked.

I actually prefer MinimServer because I can customize how files are sorted and displayed. In particular, I like to sort "The Beatles" as "Beatles, The" so The Beatles are found in the "B" section.

I accomplish this by setting TagOptions in MinimWatch as follows:

Album.sortTags={Album, Artist}, Artist.ignore.*={The}, AlbumArtist.ignore.*={The}, Album.ignore.*={The}

I also do this for album covers so that "The Yes Album" appears at "Y" as it is treated as "Yes Album, The".

Great tip. I'm finally streaming hi res content into bedroom from my main machine. The sound is really nice. I'm going to have fun playing with this over the next few days.

I'll be visiting Xuanqian Wang in his suite next week, so if you have any Lightning 3.0 (or other) questions for him, PM me or post them here for all to shoot holes in. I'm sure Chris will be there too (for more questions).

I would very much like to know the ETA for Roon integration on the Aries Mini. Their statement says the Aries and Aries LE will be first with the mini to follow.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you very much for sharing this. FWIW, - I really appreciate you taking the time to get the information, then to bring it to us, even in circumstances that likely do not, or may not apply to you personally. That is really awesome!

Thanks to your great report, it is very clear that for me, Auralic is company that I have no interest in doing business with in any capacity.

How did Ted's report make you feel so strongly negative about Auarlic? From my perspective it seems as if the company has a good product that they intend to keep improving on.

A question about the Aries. They say you need a fast router to make it work. Something like 1300 Mbps. If I upgrade my router to that how does it help if I'm going through my comcast modem which is only 300 Mbps?

First, make sure the service you're paying for can get the speeds a new router can achieve. If you have a more basic plan a higher speed capable router may not matter. Additionally, even if your speed from Comcast is high enough, you may need to get a different modem. I have Comcast also and I bought my own modem (it pays for itself in a year because you "rent" the Comcast modem anyway).

Yes I have high speed internet,I bough the netgear modem/router but it has no land line phone jeck. I need that. Can you suggest a moem,router with the phone jack?

I don't know of any router with a standard phone jack, sorry. I think they make adapters to go from ethernet to standard phone though. Can't you use the one in wall in your house or you don't have one?

Has the V3 firmware been rolled out? I haven't had a notification nor has the Aries rebooted to update - I can't seem to see where I can find out on LDS or Aries what firmware edition I have - it says it is up to date but the firmware version box is blank?

3.0 is live. My Aries updated automatically. In setting click on your Aries and at the bottom it should tell you which firmware is installed. If it hasn't updated, try powering down the Aries and then back up again and see if you can refresh the option to check firmware.

Thanks Digitalized.

I am moving from a Squeezebox touch and LMS allows you to use multiple paths and that has contributed to my disorganised music library being scattered all over the place on various USB drives.

Do you know if I will be able to do an initial setup with one drive first to get me going and then consolidate all the music to a single path and then redo the setup from scratch or is that not supported as well ie. you can do a setup one time only and will be stuck with it for good.

Thanks again.

You're welcome!

You can always set up another drive with all of your music and have Lightning DS rescan that drive. You can put it in the same folder you originally set up or you can set up Lightning Server to point to a new path/folder.