IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

I agree. But when I try to copy files from the NAS over the network to the Aries USB drive it asks for the host Mac's "Finder" password and after that it says it does not have "read permissions". Anyone else see this or have success? Thanks.

here is the info coming from release notes:

login: auralic

password: auralic

I can confirm that 2.2 is working OK for me (aries connected via 5GHz wifi and then via USB to the PS Audio DirectStream. Tried with Lightning server, Minimserver, Airplay and Tidal).

However i have some concerns regarding SQ - i get less focus on the stage and less air / high frequency energy and overall dynamics.. Seems I will have to wait few hours to let clocks stabilise to be able to made fair comparison to FW2.1.

Does anyone know how to eventually downgrade aries to FW2.1 ?

Yes, the SQ did change. There is less high frequency energy... which I find a wonderful thing.

Good to hear it working well in your setup. As everyone have different audio chain and different personal preferences, so I can understand this.

Thus having the opportunity to load user preferred Aries firmware would be highly appreciated.

Actually Aries downloads new firmware whenever available and will automatically upgrade upon next reboot.

I suspect that lightning DS option to upgrade firmware eventually just reboots the device and already downloaded firmware will be applied during the boot process.

And just to add, mine always upgraded ok - was it connected to either wifi or Ethernet, but reading about all those issues here I will consider blocking automated updates on my firewall..

• 2 months later...

I can report that Aries 2.6 firmware is working with PS Audio Direct Stream . However I had to reboot the DS DAC as it's USB receiver was apparently stuck (shown signal lock even when the USB cable was disconnected). After DAC reboot Aries recognised DAC nearly instantaneously.

For folks with USB troubles my suggestion would be to try power-cycle the DAC and possibly also Aries. In worst case try to reboot with usb cable completely disconnected, and plug them only once both fully booted.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am having simmilat issue as Kenny - roon loosing connection to aries roonspeaker. This can happen reproducibly for example when i put mac with roon to sleep and after wake roon can not find aries zone any more (but still can connect to airplay on aries). Restarting roon, aries or sometimes even both will solve this issue.

The same happens intermittently even during normal playback , so it is not just the mac sleep which triggers this bug..