IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

Had my new Aries for a couple of days and love the sound, but having an issues with USB playback. I have contacted Auralic support and they have been very responsive, but seems to be something funny and thought I would ask here. The issue is that when I plug a USB 3.0 drive in, the partition is not recognized. I have tried 3 different drives all formatted via my Mavericks Mac as HFS+, FAT32, or xFAT. The Aries basically locks up and I need to cycle the power. An 8GB Sandisk Cruzer, which is USB 2.0 works (e.g. the disk is read, Lightning server launches and indexes the music and it plays...).

I exposed hidden files on my Mac and there is nothing strange on the drive after formatting, just the standard files that OSX writes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Have you just be reformatting the existing partition? Or have you tried creating a new partition?

There are three different options for partition type. You may want to experiment with this.

I did both, but probably dod not control well - different drives. Good tip though and I will try with the same drive.

Can someone confirm that they have had success with a USB 3.0 drive formatted as HFS+ ?

Thanks...

Have you tried to hook it up to an externally powered USB hub that again connects to the Aries?

If it is not SSD, it could be that your drive require a high inrush current to spin up the disc and the Aries fail to deliver such current.

Thanks everyone for the help. Still not working though.

The drive that I want to use and have been trying with for the last hour or so is a Monster Digital SSD (I also tried a drive with a power supply with the same results).

Interesting thing is that I reset the Aries via the button on the bottom and then plugged in the SSD with two albums on it - and it worked (Lightning Server launched, indexed the two albums...). I got pretty excited and added the rest of the ~300GB to the drive and back to the same problem.

After that, I figured I would take the computer I have been using out of the picture, so I used my daughter's Mac with Yosemite to create a new partition, run verify & fix and then add a few albums. Still not working.

Listening to Band of Horses' Live at The Ryman via Tidal as I write this and it sounds great. The USB stick still works too. Sigh. Auralic will have a lot of logs to look through when they get back on Monday :)

• 2 months later...
Me too.. I have my Aries on 5Ghz, router is a Asus RT-68P, static ip address. Nothing really uses 5 ghz in my house except the Aries and my iPad and I've had pretty much zero issues.. I can stream internet radio for days without dropouts or big playlists with a mix of file types .. thing is rock stable..

Same experience here - 5Ghz network, fixed IP for Aries and iPad (Airport Extreme) and rock solid performance. I use Tidal a lot and as Erik says no dropouts etc. same when streaming from the NAS...

• 4 weeks later...

Waiting for my Regen, but I am running Aries>AQ Diamond USB>VEGA so interested to hear other's impressions as well. I know people have reported good (and consistent) results with Regen + VEGA.

Regarding USB drive vs NAS, I would agree with the "if you are happy" comment. I intended to use a USB drive, but could not find one at a reasonable price that was not audible in the listening room (also used for storing other stuff). Found a great deal on qnap HS-210 and placed it in another part of the house. So if USB drive is working - enjoy it. You can always address later after settling into the Aries...

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Loving roon as well. Running on the only computer I have anymore - work laptop :)

I am having a weird problem with tidal and only with favorite artists. I can not scroll the list and if I click on any artist it jumps to somewhere else in the list, like pulling a scroll bar. Anyone else seen this?

I tried deleting and reinstalling the app on my Mac.

I posted to the roon forum, but it is the weekend...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
For those who've made the switch, how does Roon compare vs using the Aries as a streamer with a NAS, purely in terms of SQ?

Since the Roon integration takes processing cycles, it would make sense that there is a SQ hit. I made a couple of quick comparisons and did not hear anything, plus I like Roon a lot so that swings it for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app