IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

Some help would be appreciated. I’m running a Macbook Pro with Audirvana + into my Antelope Zodiac DAC, and the Macbook’s hard drive is on its last legs. So I need to upgrade this. It seems I have some options:

A) upgrade the Pro with a SSD (not able to do this myself), keep everything else (cheapest option)

B) buy a new Macmini, upgrade with SSD

C) buy Auralic Aries

I am currently having some trouble with the Lightning app, as it confuses some album and tracks titles, and the album art seems hit or miss. I am no fan of iTunes, but at least I am able to edit album art and edit metadata, which I am not able to do if I use Minimserver.

My immediate questions are these:

Does the Aries sound noticeably better than the Macbook Pro or mini?

Is there a way to edit metadata in a upnp system like Minimserver?

Thanks for your help. Learning a lot.

In regards to the editing of Meta data, I use JRIVER to edit and manage the metadata for my albums. All the albums are stored on my NAS in the music folder that is accessible both by JRIVER and Minimserver. Changes I make via JRIVER are reflected in Minimserver.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

This is odd, I was told when I asked that it came with a cable for both the connection from the power supply to the Aries as well as one from the power supply to the wall.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I cannot recollect ever purchasing any sort of electronic device that required, but did not include a power cord, save for music effect pedals that could run on batteries as well (in which case the batteries were included).

Wang from Auralic was just kind enough to email me and clarify that they do NOT include an AC power cord, for the very reason some of you are stating. Most audiophiles do not use them.

As I said earlier, consider me "schooled".

Interesting, he told me it came with a 1.2 meter cable between the Aries and the power supply, and a 1.2 meter IEC for the power supply. So I find that quite disappointing.

Barr

We ordered customized slim type to fit into ARIES box, but it sounds just not RIGHT. I am not a cable believer but my sense tell me I can not attach this one...

If you want to become a cable believer and want a try, please just PM me your address. I will mail you one, but dont hate me after you can hear the difference.

Mr. Wang, I appreciate you responding to my complaint directly. If you believe that an after market power cable would sound better than the power cable you had ordered for the linear power supply, then I do accept that. Just as I accept your opinion that wireless sounds better than an ethernet connection with the Aries. My Aries should arrive on Tuesday and I am looking forward to it.

My only suggestion would to be clear on the marketing material you have for the Aries that a power cord is not supplied and that you recommend the use of an after market power cord.

I believe there are many of us quite excited about this product, so our expectations are high, whatever method you can offer for us to provide feedback to you, and hear back from you would be well received.

Thank you.

Barr

Just received mine today. Unboxed, inserted batteries into remote, connect after market power cord into linear power supply, plugged linear power supply into Aries. Put Aries on shelf and plugged into ethernet (so I could get the firmware right away, probably would have been the same as if I went wireless right away), plugged into USB, plugged power connector from Linear supply.

Turn on Aries with remote. Go to iPad, set it for USB output, and it is already downloading the firmware update.

I had already loaded my music library (Minimserver on Synology NAS) into the Aries application a week back (did the same on Lumin control application).

Ok, so now the download is complete and I am updating to the 1.5 firmware. Next off to pull the ethernet and set it up for wireless, and then to spin some tunes.

I cannot believe this day is here at last!

Golly, I must be a slow typist, I turned off the Aries, unplugged the Ethernet, re started, and now I am really off to spin some tunes.

Later.

And for those of you with more than one iPad in the house who might be wondering if one has to do any configuration on the second/third iPad, the answer is no. (Actually since I have already set up both iPads with the Lightning DS application a while back I cannot recall if I had to set the music library for each or not).

Barr

Just received mine today. Unboxed, inserted batteries into remote, connect after ...

Lucky you. I can't get mine to stay on the network for more than 20 seconds. Useless as it is.

Hi Wiley - I assume you are using wireless, just curious what make/model router you have, does it support 802.11ac ( I know, Aries should work with any 802.11n router ) and how far away is the router from the Aries?

What if you do a complete power down, shut down router, shut down Aries, then re boot router and then re start Aries?

Thanks, but I'm wired. I can't stay on long enough to sign into wireless network. I've done the router shutdown, ipad shutdown, app reinstall and I get about 20 seconds when I start the aries.

Ok, that's bad, I have heard there is a "reset" switch on the Aries, maybe trying resetting the unit. I don't have the manual in front of me to verify its existence, but I seem to recall someone mentioning that is what they had to do to get it working properly....

Ok I believe the reset switch is on the bottom of the Aries.

On a more positive note ( on my part ), I am ENJOYING listening to music with the ARIES!

And loving the sound so far....

Software I am starting to get the hang of it....

I replaced a Mac Mini that was reasonable tuned/optimized.

From emails with Auralic tech support (thanks Dewei Kong), it appears the problem lies with my older router, specifically something called an SSDP, which cuts off my ipad access after a few seconds. Before I buy a router, I'd like to know about the sound. bplexico, you have moved from a mac mini to the auries, which would be close to my move: was it worth it?

Thanks again.

Hi Wiley - two things - yes in regards to the SSDP - earlier in this thread Jason posted what you would need to do to disable SSDP so that you could your system, I realize this does not give step by step instructions on how to do this with your router.

Additional message: Some of the WiFi router will block UDP multicast completely by default as they consider SSDP multicast message as a DDoS attack package. If customer is using this type of WiFi router, they need to make sure not active the 'firewall' function. or add an exception for SSDP multicast.

Now to the other question, with background information first. I was using a late 2012 Mac Mini with i7 processor, 16 GB of RAM (memory) and a SSD boot drive with only JRIVER and Audirvana on it. Music was, as it is today, pulled off my NAS. I did use an ethernet connect on the Mac Mini with a Lan Isolator on the ethernet connection. And a relatively nice USB cable. Basic Venom power cable. No other fancy tricks. I did optimize the Mac Mini to minimize the number of running processes, and it was plugged into a Silver Circle Audio 5.

I have both tube amps and a tube pre amp and a MSB Analog DAC in my system.

So was it worth it? So having only 4 hours of use under the belt, yes. The convenience factor, the overall usability for others, the elimination of an ethernet connection ( did not A/B wires vs wireless in terms of sound quality ) all are a positive. In terms of sound quality it is at least at the level of the Mac Mini setup I had. Too early to say if it sounds better but it is at least as good, and I find listening to music engaging, and I want to play more songs. So definitely not a step backwards and in my opinion a huge step forward in terms of simplification.

I listen to a mix of DSD, high resolution, and redbook quality music and a wide mix of classical, jazz, rock, reggae, et al. I have not played every genre yet, but I am loving what I am hearing so far, so that is a good thing.

So yes, worth it. And BTW, I don't know if they told you that you need to buy a new router or not, but I believe the issue with SSDP can be resolved by changing the configuration in your router. I use Apple Airport Extreme routers, in fact I upgraded both of mine to the newest model which supports 802.11ac many many months ago.

The cable modem, Apple Extreme #1, Synology NAS are all downstairs. Upstairs I have the second Apple Extreme ( i needed more ethernet ports for the home theater system which is separate from my music system ) and the tube amps, pre amp, MSB Analog DAC, Aries and my Devore O/96 speakers. So that should give you a sense of my system, and as I mentioned, running the Aries wireless.

Listening now to Yes, Fragile album, Heart of the Sunrise in 24/96. It sounds great. Bass might actually be better in this setup than with the Mac Mini, but I could be wrong. And then on to Traffic and John Barleycorn Must Die in DSD. Title track, wonderful! Does it sound great? Yes!

Let me know if that helps.

Barr

p.s. and the Clash in 24/96 sounds good too..;) In memory of Joe Strummer.

Caveat being you need to be patient with the software for now and wait for it to mature over time. It is usability just not to the level of something like JRemote.

I really hope that when the USB HD support will be implemented, this will solve many of the Router/wire/Wifi problems.

This is why I am really waiting for ARIES's USB HD Support. I don't have a router yat at home, and do NOT wish to set-up one.

Hello bmichels. I am a little puzzled by this remark, you will need wifi at home to use the Aries and the Lightning DS (or any other control software) on your iPad. Usually if one has wifi one has a router as well. Or if there is a public access wifi being provided to you, there is still a router providing the wifi.

Not challenging you, just curious as to how your internet/wifi service is provided.

Barr

21" by 11" by 4" for the pictures I posted above, which is the Aries with linear power supply option. The box for the Aries and the box for the Linear power supply are in the bigger white shipping box which has the its dimensions posted (21*11*4)

Barr

My dealer here in uk has just received shipment of Aries so should be in my hands next day or two can someone tell me the power cable from wall to Aries LPS the normal fitting or do i need an adapter for smaller connector?

Stevie - I reside in the US, so I don't know how much help this will be, but the power cable from the wall to the linear power supply is a standard 3 prong cable. I suspect the fitting is different for the UK.

Redirect Notice

OK, so I take it that it is only the European shipment that comes with no power cable, then.

No power cord regardless of locale. Sorry I wasn't clear in my post, I was providing a picture and reference to the type of cord required in the US.

Someone (at Auralic / their dealers) needs to check this out because iirc it is illegal to sell a mains powered device without a BS approved UK 3 pin plug fitted.

Eloise

Eloise - I am not sure I understand, are you saying that in the UK one cannot sell a device that requires mains power without including a power cord (even if it is a detachable power cord)?

Well since the supplied remote is hardware, another request, documentation on which buttons work on the remote and when less than clear what their function is.

Barr

Congratulations !

Finally, your Aries arrived.

Thanks, somehow I missed your post. So yes, on day three here. Very happy with the hardware and with the sound. The application still needs work. However no regrets, I am glad I got it.