IGNORED

Advice on speakers

Hello All, never post these kinds on inquiries so this is my first. Looking at three candidates for new speakers, all quite wonderful, so your thoughts and opinions would be welcome.

Three under consideration:

Aerial 7T

Magico S1

Focal Diablo Utopia

Cheers

Warren

I wouldn't paint them as that might adversely affect the sonic signature.

+1. It depends on the paint. Now I have some "special" cyro-paint from a well known cable company which was frozen in the Arctic reaches and transported to my home by polar bear. You can have this paint for $1450. per oz.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

B) You've got to listen to speakers that expensive and make your own mind up

Have heard them all at differing times and at short sessions with a dealer for one, then another dealer for the second...etc

Just looking for opinions from anyone with experience with these. Both the Diablo and the S1 have beryllium tweeters which play well into the 40 to 50 kHz range, all have similar outside dimensions while the Aerial goes the deepest. All brilliant in their own way.

WW

Aerial 7T is brilliant and startlingly dynamic. If I was going to upgrade speakers these would be very high on the list. Magnepan 3.7 demands attention also. But I really like the Aerial, they are just wonderful. Needless to say they will expose any upstream weaknesses.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Aerial 7T is brilliant and startlingly dynamic. If I was going to upgrade speakers these would be very high on the list. Magnepan 3.7 demands attention also. But I really like the Aerial, they are just wonderful. Needless to say they will expose any upstream weaknesses.

Kelly,

Thanks for your thoughts....totally agree. Michael Kelly is such a gifted designer and our Model 5's have always been the last to go when upgrading our system..always up to the task at each upgrade, sounding better after each one. Your mention of "startlingly" good is totally believable and is exciting to consider. Also a former Maggie owner/owner, best value in audio.

The 7t's are physically beautiful....Magico's not too much but there is a delicacy that is just astounding.

A week or so away until we make that decision. Think the Diablo's aren't making the cut.

Cheers,

WW

I've heard the S1 (and own the S5) and have no problem believing the 7T goes deeper, based only on photos. I would also expect the S1 to have the most coherent sound of the bunch. The midrange is truly exceptional. All a matter of taste.

This is exactly my dilemma, you have described it so completely. Thanks for your thoughts...the S5's just announce into the acoustic space...no overhang (whatever that means and shoot me for saying it) and with a musically "rightness" (again, a revolver, please)

Cheers,

Warren

To be honest for that much money you should audition all of them and decide for yourself. Those are expensive speakers and deserve audition.

As mentioned below, I have..one doesn't have the opportunity to have these all side by side and must work from memory, some recent, some less so and reviews...bricks and mortar stores are slowly disappearing...I am merely seeking other's impressions.

.. 4 sealed 12" subwoofers in each corner of the room......done

4 subs in the corners is a very good option, however, using just 2 subwoofers placed at wall mid-points may be even better (as well as being less expensive and more practical).

See this study: http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Innovation/Documents/White%20Papers/multsubs.pdf

P.S. Warren- sorry for the off-thread post.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

4 subs in the corners is a very good option, however, using just 2 subwoofers placed at wall mid-points may be even better (as well as being less expensive and more practical).

See this study: http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Innovation/Documents/White%20Papers/multsubs.pdf

P.S. Warren- sorry for the off-thread post.

No worries, Gents...is very interesting to me though don't know nor have heard of Linkwitz. Four subs in each corner sounds ideal, thanks, Mayhem.

A side note...starting to consider Wilson Sophia 3's...budget destroyed but maybe this is the one. Just do it and finally have something that can rise to whatever we throw at it, full orchestra or rock concert...naturally all the twee between....no more upgrade itus.

Cheers, Warren

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Hey Warren. If you'd like to chat about modern advances in speaker design, PM me. Without pissing off the masses too badly, I can only say that Box speakers are pretty much the worst compromise one can make if you absolutely had to make one. For 5 figure and up speaker mfgrs to do this this near criminal to the trade.

Regarding Magico vs. Aerial it really is a preference thing in sound (and looks of course) as they both sound good. I have noticed a distinct difference in sound between box speakers, where you hear the influence of the enclosure and a design like Magico, where there is no/little colouration from the box.

Aerial sounds great but you hear the box influence.

Magico sounds great but at first blush seams more lean as you miss the colouration from the box.

Probably not helping, and being obvious, but you need to hear them side by side, at home preferably. Only you can decide which type of sound you like better.

Secondary, but also important is aesthetics. I can think of a few where the McDonalds garbage can or R2D2 description was thrown around by friends and family. :) Again pure personal preference.

Hey Warren. If you'd like to chat about modern advances in speaker design, PM me. Without pissing off the masses too badly, I can only say that Box speakers are pretty much the worst compromise one can make if you absolutely had to make one. For 5 figure and up speaker mfgrs to do this this near criminal to the trade.

Hey Mayhem,

Many thanks for your offer but I'm still in the "box" camp if not only for aesthetics and WAF.

I know, I know...the Linkwitz look a tad too radical for us but many thanks for the thoughts.

Warren

Regarding Magico vs. Aerial it really is a preference thing in sound (and looks of course) as they both sound good. I have noticed a distinct difference in sound between box speakers, where you hear the influence of the enclosure and a design like Magico, where there is no/little colouration from the box.

Aerial sounds great but you hear the box influence.

Magico sounds great but at first blush seams more lean as you miss the colouration from the box.

Probably not helping, and being obvious, but you need to hear them side by side, at home preferably. Only you can decide which type of sound you like better.

Secondary, but also important is aesthetics. I can think of a few where the McDonalds garbage can or R2D2 description was thrown around by friends and family. :) Again pure personal preference.

I think you've summarized my thoughts exactly....a silence between notes with the Magico's, loud to soft with great speed, but greater muscle and range with the Aerials. Are the S1's the garbage can/R2D2?

Further to sitting them side by side, those days are gone, if they were ever here to begin with...hence magazines, trade shows and these forums.

Thanks,

Warren

I assumed the R2D2 reference was to something like the MBL's:

MBL_zps3103d985.jpg

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I think you've summarized my thoughts exactly....a silence between notes with the Magico's, loud to soft with great speed, but greater muscle and range with the Aerials. Are the S1's the garbage can/R2D2?

Further to sitting them side by side, those days are gone, if they were ever here to begin with...hence magazines, trade shows and these forums.

Thanks,

Warren

? No, the S1 has a clean, unassuming look, if a bit industrial.

I still prefer the look of the old Magicos that still had a bit of wood in them and love some of the Sonus Faber ones in terms of looks. But that uncoloured sound of the Magicos is hard to let go of once heard with clean sources and powerful amps.

The Aerials sound a bit sweeter, likely because of the wood resonances and, perhaps my imagination, a bit more forgiving of sources.