IGNORED

HQPlayer tag problem

cbee

I have just started trialing this and like the sound very much. However, I am having a problem with the sequence of tracks in an album. They appear in alphabetical order and play in alphabetical order, not in the track number order. I ripped my discs ( mainly Flac, a few in Wav) in JRMC and tag data for track# is present. I have also checked the tag data in mp3tag and it confirms that track# is there. I have tried importing into the library individual albums and also added by tree. Also with the structure box checked and unchecked. All to no avail. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Track number tag is ignored at the moment and file names are supposed to be prefixed with a track number (common convention). For example "01_aaabbbccc.flac"

Tracks are ordered based on file name, except on playlists where the playlist determines the track order (and technically you can have same track multiple times on the playlist).

Reason is that ordering based on track numbers becomes really messy when people mix tracks from different albums into same directory, so there can be multiple tracks with same track number. (for example creating "playlist" folders using symbolic links) However, filesystem restricts namespace such way that you cannot have same file name twice in a single directory. But there are no technical restrictions for tags or other metadata across files. You can very well have two tracks with exactly same metadata.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thanks for the quick reply Miska. There's not an easy way is to add that pre-fix to the already ripped ones is there? I notice that the albums I downloaded from Murfies are in the format you mention.

I think some tagging/library management software can rename files too based on name template, but I cannot remember right now which ones...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I think some tagging/library management software can rename files too based on name template, but I cannot remember right now which ones...

If you're running Windows, MP3Tag is a good option which allows easy renaming of files based on track numbers and other tags.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Most music taggers will do this for you, there's normally a way of running an "action" against a set of files. Take a look at:

Tag & Rename - Mp3 tag editor Tag&Rename - edit tag in mp3, wma, mp4 files, automatic discogs and freedb import

MP3Tag - Mp3tag Help - convert tags from/to filenames

bliss - http://www.blisshq.com/organize-music-files.html <- disclaimer: this is my tool. If you try it, I'd love to know your feedback

I'd always advise having a minimal but useful set of metadata in filenames. Basically, that should cover (imo) the "identifiable aspects" of a track in a release but no more than that - artist/album/discnumber[optional]/tracknumber-trackname .

bliss - fully automated music organizer. Read the music library management blog.